2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't know why you think Foligno is a second liner while Calvert, Atkinson and Letestu are third liners. If anything, Foligno is at best a third liner. His shot is terrible and he is not exactly a Cam Atkinson when it comes to zipping for rebounds and putting them in the net. I like Nick, but he is hardly a second liner.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't know why you think Foligno is a second liner while Calvert, Atkinson and Letestu are third liners. If anything, Foligno is at best a third liner. His shot is terrible and he is not exactly a Cam Atkinson when it comes to zipping for rebounds and putting them in the net. I like Nick, but he is hardly a second liner.

That's beside the point.

The point is that we have a surplus of 2nd and 3rd liners. Meanwhile we lack top-line forwards.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Clear up cap by minusing RJ, Aucoin and Vinny, pay Arty and Bob then get one more high end talent forward.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
An Inventory of What We Have (IMO):
1st liners: Gaborik
2nd liners: Anisimov, Foligno, Prospal, Dubinsky
3rd liners: Calvert, Atkinson, Johansen, Umberger, Comeau, Letestu
4th liners: Boll, Mackenzie, Gillies

1st pairing: Johnson
2nd pairing: Tyutin, Wisniewski, Prout, Aucoin
3rd pairing: Nikitin, Erixon, Murray

Starting goaltender: Bob
Backup: None

Logic indicates that we should attempt to package a 2nd/3rd line forward or a 2nd pairing defenseman and return either another 1st line forward or a top-pairing defenseman.

That means we should be pursuing hard a quantity for quality deal. Also need to acquire a stable backup goalie.

Agreed with your general point.

I'd put Tyutin as a top-pair guy, and Aucoin on the third-pair, with the implication that there is more need for a top-line forward than a top-pair D.

Foligno is middle-six, his production with Alfie and Turris last year was actually closer to a first-line than third-line rate, although this year it's fair to call him a third-liner. Calvert's production isn't much better. I agree that Atkinson and Letestu are second liners. (I'm using Points per 60 minutes, BTW). That actually gives us more than our fair share of top-6 players, and we're only falling short on the top-line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I keep seeing a trade with Philly to move up a few slots and possibly take Shinkaruk or Lindholm (preferred but unlikely). I believe Philly will need some cap space and they also need defensive help. Wonder if something like:

To Philly: NYR 1st (currently 19), Nikitin and Savard
To CBJ: Philly 1st (#11) and Brierre (cap space savings)

That would get Philly a top 4 d-man, solid pick, good prospect and save approx 4.5MM in cap space. Columbus gets a top line W with only $3MM in salary but higher cap figure. Seems like something to consider for both teams right?

This is the sort of deal that I want to make, although I wouldn't do this particular one. The problem, to my mind, is that Briere's top-line days are probably over. There are some good deals to be had out there though, and we are natural trading partners with Philly for the reasons you mention.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
I ask you both:

1. Who do you see as available, that fits this bill and doesn't require us paying out the backside?
2. Where do we find the cap space to sign them? As I mentioned above, we're looking at roughly $5-7m to bring in a backup goalie and whatever other roster players we're looking at bringing in.

I would love to think that we can afford to take on some salary, but really it's hard to see how or why we would. The only realm of possibility I see this happening in is if we buy out one or more guys ... which is certainly possible, but also requires ownership stepping up and dumping even more money into a rebuilding team.

Tampa and Columbus could possibly be good trade partners. Tampa will likely draft Drouin. They need D help and have a lot of skilled forwards. Maybe, something like Brett Connolly for Nikitin.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Tampa and Columbus could possibly be good trade partners. Tampa will likely draft Drouin. They need D help and have a lot of skilled forwards. Maybe, something like Brett Connolly for Nikitin.

Hmm. That seems possible

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
R.J. - Pay him to go away
Aucoin for 2M? No
Prospal for 2.5? NO. Maybe 13th forward/player-coach for 1M. He. Is. The. Slowest. Player. In. The. League.
Vinny's presence in the room is good enough to earn a contract for me, his production was just gravy. Keep at all costs if he wants to play.

An Inventory of What We Have (IMO):
1st liners: Gaborik
2nd liners: Anisimov, Foligno, Prospal, Dubinsky
3rd liners: Calvert, Atkinson, Johansen, Umberger, Comeau, Letestu
4th liners: Boll, Mackenzie, Gillies

1st pairing: Johnson
2nd pairing: Tyutin, Wisniewski, Prout, Aucoin
3rd pairing: Nikitin, Erixon, Murray

Starting goaltender: Bob
Backup: None

Logic indicates that we should attempt to package a 2nd/3rd line forward or a 2nd pairing defenseman and return either another 1st line forward or a top-pairing defenseman.

That means we should be pursuing hard a quantity for quality deal. Also need to acquire a stable backup goalie.

Close. I think

1st: Gaborik
2nd: Anisimov, Prospal, Atkinson, Johansen
3rd: Letestu (Has to do it again for me to believe hes a 2nd liner), Dubinsky, Foligno, Calvert, Umberger, Comeau
4th: Boll, MacKenzie, Gillies

1st: Johnson
2nd: Tyutin, Nikitin, Wisniewski, Prout
3rd: Aucoin, Murray, Erixon

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I keep seeing a trade with Philly to move up a few slots and possibly take Shinkaruk or Lindholm (preferred but unlikely). I believe Philly will need some cap space and they also need defensive help. Wonder if something like:

To Philly: NYR 1st (currently 19), Nikitin and Savard
To CBJ: Philly 1st (#11) and Brierre (cap space savings)

That would get Philly a top 4 d-man, solid pick, good prospect and save approx 4.5MM in cap space. Columbus gets a top line W with only $3MM in salary but higher cap figure. Seems like something to consider for both teams right?

I want Monahan. Any kid that busts his butt when his team is that atrocious is gonna be an asset wherever he goes. Briere is one of the guys I'd like to give an "incentive" contract to for next year. I LOVE Domi. Every time I watch this kid he's getting points while in the other teams face. Think he'd be AWESOME here. I've never been a fan o Savard's so trading him is a bonus in my book

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Close. I think

3rd: Letestu (Has to do it again for me to believe hes a 2nd liner), Dubinsky, Foligno, Calvert, Umberger, Comeau

So in your book Letestu has to do it twice to be 2nd line material, Johansen doesn't have to do it a single time, and Dubi has to do it how many times?

Going on future expectations alone, you're probably right about Johan and maybe right about Letestu. But Dubi has produced at a top six rate in every season of his career except for 11-12.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Vinny Prospal has played all 130 games since we acquired him and has been a 0.65 point per game player (28g 57a). He's clearly had an impact on the ice and in the room.

It's incredible to me that anyone would want to not bring him back. I hope he's a member of this organization, in some role or another, for a long, long time.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Vinny's presence in the room is good enough to earn a contract for me, his production was just gravy. Keep at all costs if he wants to play.

Close. I think

1st and 2nd (mix and match as that's what we will be doing anyway): Gaborik
Anisimov, Atkinson, Johansen, Letestu, Calvert, add a top six forward for top sixth depth.

3rd: Dubinsky, Foligno, Umberger, Comeau, Prospal

The defense and 4th lines are not much of an issue as long as we don't lose anyone other than Aucoin..

MomoSissokko

Feb 16, 2010
not a hardcore fan, but i was soooo engaged
in the last weeks with CBJ...

Could Thomas Vanek be the missing piece for C'bus ?
To Sabres something around one of the first picks and Erixon/Nikitin.
Thoughts ?

Vanek-Anisimov-Gaborik
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-Johansen-Foligno
Comeau-Boll-MacKenzie
Prospal

Johnson-Tyutin
Wizniewski-Prout
Erixon/Nikitin-Murray
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
xy

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
not a hardcore fan, but i was soooo engaged
in the last weeks with CBJ...

Could Thomas Vanek be the missing piece for C'bus ?
To Sabres something around one of the first picks and Erixon/Nikitin.
Thoughts ?

Vanek-Anisimov-Gaborik
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-Johansen-Foligno
Comeau-Boll-MacKenzie
Prospal

Johnson-Tyutin
Wizniewski-Prout
Erixon/Nikitin-Murray
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
xy

I don't know many players well but I do him... He would fill out our top six nicely imo.. Buffalo does need defense badly, I'd not move Nik though..

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For those who are into so-called "advanced stats", there is some interesting information about the Jackets. I found it pretty surprising.

In points per 60 minutes of even strength (5 vs 5), the Jackets top 6 were:

Gaborik 2.43 pts/60 min. (taken from 2011-12 due to small sample size in his time with Jackets).
Asinimov 2.35
Prospal 2.13
Atkinson 2.10
Letestu 1.96
Dubinski 1.92

ONLY ONE DETROIT RED WING HAD AS MANY POINTS PER 60 MINUTES OF EVEN STRENGTH THAN DUBINSKI-THE JACKETS #6 ON THIS RATING.

Pavel Datsyuk had 2.20 pts per 60 min ES. The rest of the Wings (min games played 20) were under 1.85.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...5v5&f5=CBJ&f7=20-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

I found this fascinating given how I have been one to say that the Jackets lack "top 6" players while I never would have said that about the Red Wings.

Maybe we're not as "offensively challenged" as common wisdom would seem to indicate. Especially when one considers that players like Asinimov, Dubinski, Calvert, Atkinson, Johansen, and Foligno are likely candidates for improvement as their careers progress.

The CBJ power play has so much room for improvement (14% this season vs. the league average of roughly 18%), that the perceived scoring deficiencies of the Jackets could be more a function of a poor power play than the scoring abilities of the team as demonstrated by their ES performance this past season.

Or not:)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I would gladly give Nik plus one of our late first rounders and Savard for Vanik.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I would gladly give Nik plus one of our late first rounders and Savard for Vanik.

One thing we can agree on, if Buffalo trades Vanek they will be looking to bolster their defense and pick up some type of forward (draft is possible) to fill their top six... (remember, they moved Pomminville too). I hope JK looks into to getting him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So in your book Letestu has to do it twice to be 2nd line material, Johansen doesn't have to do it a single time, and Dubi has to do it how many times?

Going on future expectations alone, you're probably right about Johan and maybe right about Letestu. But Dubi has produced at a top six rate in every season of his career except for 11-12.

To be honest, Letestu has done it twice. look at his CBJ stats in his time here. Very similar in his time here last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4138

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
One thing we can agree on, if Buffalo trades Vanek they will be looking to bolster their defense and pick up some type of forward (draft is possible) to fill their top six... (remember, they moved Pomminville too). I hope JK looks into to getting him.

The only thing that would scare me about Vanek is he is in the last year of his contract too. That would give us 2 players making over 7 mill a year on expiring contracts.

MomoSissokko

Feb 16, 2010
The only thing that would scare me about Vanek is he is in the last year of his contract too. That would give us 2 players making over 7 mill a year on expiring contracts.

But to enter in a "win now modus" You need these kind of players, even if expensive. Maybe they can get rid of Umberger.
And like You wrote, the contracts are expiring, so there is really no big risk. It's better to enter in such a contract than make a Parise-like one.

MomoSissokko

Feb 16, 2010
we're not in a "win now" mode...we are in a "win going forward" mode...

"enter in a win now modus" is similar to Your expression,
maybe i am only more optimistic than You

fact is, BJ's could spend one first and one prospect or youngster
for a first line winger like Vanek, Eriksson/Benn or Ryan.
Jackets should avoid the "Edmonton way", building a team only with
very talented youngsters. You need a mix.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
"enter in a win now modus" is similar to Your expression,
maybe i am only more optimistic than You

fact is, BJ's could spend one first and one prospect or youngster
for a first line winger like Vanek, Eriksson/Benn or Ryan.
Jackets should avoid the "Edmonton way", building a team only with
very talented youngsters. You need a mix.

But as the mgmt has said, they work to acquire players that will help this year and beyond. Gaborik was not a rental because we have him for next season.

Hypothetically, if we are out at the trade deadline again for whatever reason, then we have 2 unsigned assets to trade and we start rebuilding brick by brick again. having 2 high dollar players with expiring contracts in the same season does not scream "brick by brick" building long term to keep the franchise winning for years to come. or if we are in it at the trade deadline and we don't trade them, then we run the risk of both of them flying the coop as free agents and we get nothing in return.

If we acquire more talent for next season, it will be someone signed past next season. That way if we are unable to resign Gaborik prior to the trade deadline, its not as big of a hit. It also seems like the most solid plan to try to win now and win in the future.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For those who are into so-called "advanced stats", there is some interesting information about the Jackets. I found it pretty surprising.

In points per 60 minutes of even strength (5 vs 5), the Jackets top 6 were:

Gaborik 2.43 pts/60 min. (taken from 2011-12 due to small sample size in his time with Jackets).
Asinimov 2.35
Prospal 2.13
Atkinson 2.10
Letestu 1.96
Dubinski 1.92

ONLY ONE DETROIT RED WING HAD AS MANY POINTS PER 60 MINUTES OF EVEN STRENGTH THAN DUBINSKI-THE JACKETS #6 ON THIS RATING.

Pavel Datsyuk had 2.20 pts per 60 min ES. The rest of the Wings (min games played 20) were under 1.85.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...5v5&f5=CBJ&f7=20-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

I found this fascinating given how I have been one to say that the Jackets lack "top 6" players while I never would have said that about the Red Wings.

Maybe we're not as "offensively challenged" as common wisdom would seem to indicate. Especially when one considers that players like Asinimov, Dubinski, Calvert, Atkinson, Johansen, and Foligno are likely candidates for improvement as their careers progress.

The CBJ power play has so much room for improvement (14% this season vs. the league average of roughly 18%), that the perceived scoring deficiencies of the Jackets could be more a function of a poor power play than the scoring abilities of the team as demonstrated by their ES performance this past season.

Or not:)

I've been telling you this all year! We don't have a top-six problem, we have a top-line problem. And our 5 on 5's are just mediocre, while our powerplay is horrid.

Can't put Gaborik on this list, though. Use his full year 12-13 totals and you don't have a sample size problem- he had a bad year with roughly half the P/60 that he did the year before.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've been telling you this all year! We don't have a top-six problem, we have a top-line problem. And our 5 on 5's are just mediocre, while our powerplay is horrid.
Can't put Gaborik on this list, though. Use his full year 12-13 totals and you don't have a sample size problem- he had a bad year with roughly half the P/60 that he did the year before.

I completely agree. The PP needs addressed but I do think the addition of Gaborik for a full year will help the PP immensely. HOwever, the point play needs to improve. Who do we really have that runs the PP? I don't have the answer to that but think Erixon is a guy with vision and puck moving skills that could also help next year. Wiz needs to stay healthy so we have the bomb from the point to keep teams honest but we really lack the skill and IQ for the PP to actually be a consistent success. Usually this is your top line guys and the PP for the CBJ exposed our lack of skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad