2010 Article (Zack Hyman) - How a dad with NHL dreams bankrolled a hockey empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This shows that you too can be anything you want if your extremely rich parents pull some strings.

It's a good story for him, but it's not the anyone can do it that the media is depicting it as.

Ultimately though, who cares? Zach Hyman seems to be a good guy. No reason to put him down.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
most hockey players grew up rich, boo hoo

The guy scores 50 goals and people are finding odd ways to cope

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I grew up with a kid who also had very wealthy parents that bought a local junior A hockey team for their son to play on. He played in the AJHL, went NCAA for a bit, but really didn't get much of anywhere.

I think the average person, and probably the average HFer too, completely underestimates just how good you have to be at hockey to play in the NHL. You can buy your way through junior, you can buy your way into college, but you cannot buy your way into the NHL.

Before people reply - yes, buying your way into playing against better competition in junior will make you better, same with having personal coaches and access to a million hockey camps. Again, not enough to make the NHL.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Does being rich negate the fact he put in hard work? If I was suddenly very wealthy would that make me a really good pilot just because I own a jet? just because i have expensive cleats does that make me a really good soccer player?

Hard work is hard regardless of your financial standing. What a clown. If this is this guys masked way of making a video on why he's not rich he should look at the quality of his content.

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
Real estate mogul using all the power in his tool box including buying a scouting company to ensure the success of his son.

Maybe Berkshire is right, no amount of hard work will ever get me there!
How a dad with NHL dreams bankrolled a hockey empire

Would Hymen have made it without his dad. The answer is probably no.

I know a few supposed "can't miss NHL prospects" who had advantages + talent that are playing senior hockey...you end up making it because you're good enough. Andrew's take is incredibly petulant, bitchy and full of envy.

Clearly he hates hockey...just another hit piece "multi skilled journalist".

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
Everybody needs to see this post. This was teh first time in a long time I went on Twitter and I'm glad it showed up in my feed. Berkshire speaks the truth. Hyman had everything handed 2 him an d had some powerful ppl get him to the NHL. Ppl r celebrating like he did something great. He didn't. Daddy bought it 4 him. End of story.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I grew up with a kid who also had very wealthy parents that bought a local junior A hockey team for their son to play on. He played in the AJHL, went NCAA for a bit, but really didn't get much of anywhere.

I think the average person, and probably the average HFer too, completely underestimates just how good you have to be at hockey to play in the NHL. You can buy your way through junior, you can buy your way into college, but you cannot buy your way into the NHL.

Before people reply - yes, buying your way into playing against better competition in junior will make you better, same with having personal coaches and access to a million hockey camps. Again, not enough to make the NHL.

Zach Hyman deserves to be in the NHL. That said, the media pushing the narrative that if Zach Hyman can do it - so can you is completely misleading. Both can be true.

It's similar to saying you too can be a billionaire if Donald Trump can do it. Sure, he earned the billionaire part but he didn't exactly come from humble beginnings.

I think people are addressing the latter and not the former.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
That's some shitty journalism. If it was as simple as buying yourself into a team, then almost every rich person would.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Hockey is a sport for the rich? What a scoop! Get that guy a Pulitzer!

Hyman is objectively one of the hardest working players in the NHL. He definitely had advantages in life, but he acknowledges this and has not taken it for granted.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's some shitty journalism. If it was as simple as buying yourself into a team, then almost every rich person would.

They changed the rules after what Zach Hyman's dad did - so not exactly true.

It was actually a big story in Toronto when it was happening.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
They changed the rules after what Zach Hyman's dad did - so not exactly true.

It was actually a big story in Toronto when it was happening.

While that might be true, nonetheless the rich person = 50 goal season connection makes no sense. Not sure how anyone can logically go from one point to the other.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Everybody needs to see this post. This was teh first time in a long time I went on Twitter and I'm glad it showed up in my feed. Berkshire speaks the truth. Hyman had everything handed 2 him an d had some powerful ppl get him to the NHL. Ppl r celebrating like he did something great. He didn't. Daddy bought it 4 him. End of story.
Hyman ain't no different than most of the players playing in the NHL today.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
While that might be true, nonetheless the rich person = 50 goal season connection makes no sense. Not sure how anyone can logically go from one point to the other.

I don't think that's what's being argued here. The original tweet is arguing that the media portraying the idea of "if Hyman can do it - you can do it" is inaccurate and providing the full story.

So big it took 14 years and hyman scoring 50 for it took be brought up by some moron

It was brought up on these boards before. There was actually a mainboards thread when he played for the Leafs. This isn't the first time it was brought up.

Reactions: David Suzuki

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
berkshire is a loser

it’s also incredible sad people like hymans father can exist in our sport and it’s an absolute embarrassment and detrimental to the entire concept of competitiveness

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
that’s chump change compared to what Alex Kerfoot’s billionaire dad spent for his son on hockey infrastructure who built him and his brother their own arena in one of the most area codes in Canada

There has always rich families to get a leg up

the kids still have to put in work.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Real estate mogul using all the power in his tool box including buying a scouting company to ensure the success of his son.

Maybe Berkshire is right, no amount of hard work will ever get me there!
How a dad with NHL dreams bankrolled a hockey empire

Would Hymen have made it without his dad. The answer is probably no.

Andrew Berkshire is a colossal douche. That's pretty much all that needs to be said. What an awful take by a whiny shitbox.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Zach Hyman deserves to be in the NHL. That said, the media pushing the narrative that if Zach Hyman can do it - so can you is completely misleading. Both can be true.

It's similar to saying you too can be a billionaire if Donald Trump can do it. Sure, he earned the billionaire part but he didn't exactly come from humble beginnings.

I think people are addressing the latter and not the former.
Kind of a weak analogy. If you start with great sums of money, you have to be woefully inept to not greatly increase your wealth.

On the other hand, if you start with great sums of money, you won't necessarily have the requisite talent and work ethic to become an elite NHL player. It gives a decided advantage on the development side, but that only got Hyman to the level of a 5th rounder.

Reactions: YukonCornelius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad