Post-Game Talk: 20-Jan-2014 OTT at WSH - Grabfaceski Edition

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Someone in the Ottawa media needs to ask Paul Maclean why it is that P. Wiercioch is not in the lineup regularly. The guy is 8th in team scoring despite only playing 31 games this year. He is a plus player and can't be doing that bad defensively since the last 2 games that he has played, the team hasn't given up any goals. Wiercioch and Gryba are a very good 5\6 pairing and C. Phillips should be our 7th dman. This will never happen but that's how it should be.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Someone in the Ottawa media needs to ask Paul Maclean why it is that P. Wiercioch is not in the lineup regularly. The guy is 8th in team scoring despite only playing 31 games this year. He is a plus player and can't be doing that bad defensively since the last 2 games that he has played, the team hasn't given up any goals. Wiercioch and Gryba are a very good 5\6 pairing and C. Phillips should be our 7th dman. This will never happen but that's how it should be.
I dont get it either as Weircioch is already very good and should be given some leeway to develop,see Karlsson and Cowen.

Rocurs

Oct 25, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I dont get it either as Weircioch is already very good and should be given some leeway to develop,see Karlsson and Cowen.

Per http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=31863223:

"not the case, he (Wiercioch) arrived as a supremely arrogant jerk off who wanted his shoes shined day 1. After his first training camp i had a conversation where i was told directly that the players took him down about 50 pegs, and that the coaching staff had never seen a guy who was such a huge fan of himself and the subsequent response from the rest of the team was bruuutal."

I have to wonder if he still has attitude issues.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

"not the case, he (Wiercioch) arrived as a supremely arrogant jerk off who wanted his shoes shined day 1. After his first training camp i had a conversation where i was told directly that the players took him down about 50 pegs, and that the coaching staff had never seen a guy who was such a huge fan of himself and the subsequent response from the rest of the team was bruuutal."

That is NOT the case. I'm not one of those "I've got a source" guys but PW is not the cocky kid that showed up to Sens camp in his rookie year. He's become a completely different person since he almost died from taking that puck to the throat.

The reason he is in and out is strictly a numbers game with Methot, Phillips and Cowen ahead of him positionally on the depth chart.

Ideally, Phillips would be our 7th man but maybe the org's plan is to trade Methot to make room for PW. That would suck.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

If he had such a bad attitude, I doubt that the team would have kept him around another couple of years.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

That was the talk at the time but that was a long time ago when he first went to Bingo from University.The rest of the team took him down a peg or two.

Since then he has played down in Bingo was part of the Calder cup winning team and was nearly killed by a puck to the throat etc and I am sure learned a lot along the way.

He is also best friends with Turris who seems really humble and happy to be here.
So I would doubt if it is attitude that is holding him back. If it is he is sure learning humility with these long benching's, I just hope it doesn't destroy his confidence.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
If he had such a bad attitude, I doubt that the team would have kept him around another couple of years.

As per the quote players had a conversation with him and took him down 50 pegs, it sounds like his attitude problems were addressed immediately.

For what its worth he is close friends with Turris and is a very useful player, I hope they keep him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
k5h1.gif

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't understand MacLean sometimes, and by sometimes i mean most of the time.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maclean says it was the same with Chris Neil and Jason Spezza and Methot earlier-they think they are ready to play but according to the coaches and medical staff. they should wait a little longer to make sure they are fully healthy and don't have a lingering injury.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Something weird going on there. Not his first healthy scratch this season.

Pretty pissed he sounded, actually. I have a feeling that coach is using the injury card to bench guys that he does not feel are performing.

He said he was bagskated after practice....and coach denies it. Wonder how that will play behind closed doors.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Methot: "I felt real good actually, but that is their decision and I have to live with it"

Gord Wilson:"erring on the side of caution was how it was described"

Methot: Mmmm, mmmyeah, and I just got bagskated after practice"

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I hope that I am wrong but it doesn't look good for Methot and his future here in Ottawa. I think that they made up their mind to keep Phillips over Methot which in my opinion is a mistake. I now do believe that story that Methot will be gone by the summer.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
I hope that I am wrong but it doesn't look good for Methot and his future here in Ottawa. I think that they made up their mind to keep Phillips over Methot which in my opinion is a mistake. I now do believe that story that Methot will be gone by the summer.

Would hate to see him go. A hometown boy who has done rather well....Really weird decisions making if this is true.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I hope it just has to do with the fact that we have 8 defensemen on the team right now, and there's no reason not to make 110% sure he's injury free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad