Prospect Info: #20 Dennis Cholowski, D-Chilliwack, BCHL

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
the one thing that makes me iffy about this pick is his name. Someone by the name of cholowski will never be a star in any sports league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This scares me a little:

I read that too, and actually posted virtually the same thing on the last page of this thread.

But actions speak louder than words, and you don't take him at 20 if you don't think the offensive upside is there. That what was what I told myself after Wright came out and compared Larkin to Helm with hands or whatever, if I am remembering right.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
the one thing that makes me iffy about this pick is his name. Someone by the name of cholowski will never be a star in any sports league.

Kinda similar to this guy, who is pretty damn good.

hqdefault.jpg

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I dunno, I really think Fabbro's combo of skating, stickhandling, and super high IQ passing is pretty dynamic. Fabbro is up in the play, sometimes leading the rush, even. Cholowski seems to defer a lot, which I don't really like. I want an aggressive player, who's going to make offense happen. I see that in Fabbro, but not the stuff I've seen of Cholo.

I guess we'll see about Hronek. The scouting reports made it sound like he has virtually no shooting ability whatsoever.

I am a huge fan of Fabbro, but even I would argue that he didn't do this enough. He moves the puck past the forecheck more with his passing than with his skating. His real offensive production will come after his team establishes possession in the offensive zone.

I am not going to worry about Cholo until he gives me reason to be worried.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Aren't there some defensemen who put up a lot of points from passing instead of rushing or pinching?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I dunno, I really think Fabbro's combo of skating, stickhandling, and super high IQ passing is pretty dynamic. Fabbro is up in the play, sometimes leading the rush, even. Cholowski seems to defer a lot, which I don't really like. I want an aggressive player, who's going to make offense happen. I see that in Fabbro, but not the stuff I've seen of Cholo.

I guess we'll see about Hronek. The scouting reports made it sound like he has virtually no shooting ability whatsoever.

Fabbro's skating is far from "dynamic".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Aren't there some defensemen who put up a lot of points from passing instead of rushing or pinching?

Yep. Good 1st passes out from the def zone and when flying over the neutral zone is the cure what we need. Or carry the puck by skating.

Oh dear, our scouting management went drafted good skaters and passers, who can also defend. :amazed:

Very very clear drafting plan.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
If everything goes as planned with his development, what will stop him from becoming a #1 dman? The only thing that comes to mind is if his offensive game doesn't develop.
He has the smarts to figure things out, both offensively and defensively, and he has the skating ability.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Scouting reports on Cholowski really remind me of Wade Redden. If he has a similar career, I'd be really happy.

Also, motion to nickname this kid Chili.

I would be a bit scared if he will have a "redden" career and is buried to AHL with 6 million salary on his final years... ;)

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
To those of you questioning St. Cloud's ability to "develop" defensemen, keep in mind this is our first ever 1st round draft pick. Of course other schools with multiple 1st and 2nd round draft picks will turn out more NHL players.

Secondly, we did have a defenseman make his debut last year; Kevin Gravel for the Kings.

Finally, keep in mind that USA Hockey named Bob Motzko head coach of the WJC team. Think they would do that to a coach who couldn't handle NHL caliber players?

Dennis is in good hands. Chillax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad