20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
i like quinn but we dont need another skinney guy. and sometimes its not just about putting on weight some people have small frames. look at horvat people joke about head shape with this guy but its true this mother f***er has big genetics and not just height. strong bones. we need a guy thats going skilled but also hitting guys

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
i like quinn but we dont need another skinney guy. and sometimes its not just about putting on weight some people have small frames. look at horvat people joke about head shape with this guy but its true this mother f***er has big genetics and not just height. strong bones. we need a guy thats going skilled but also hitting guys

This kind of thinking is how we don't have Stecher on the roster anymore but do have Hamonic, Benn, etc

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Horvat doesn’t have a memorable hit in his NHL career does he?

I don’t know enough about the prospects to pick a favourite but I’m not sure why people think Hughes will end up a wafer. He’s 17.

Would you take Sanheim here? 6’3” 180lbs

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
yeah whatever my line of thinking isnt that. when i wrote that post i think of players like last year miller or hoglander who are skilled but also physical. (hoglander is not tall but hes strong).

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I don’t know enough about the prospects to pick a favourite but I’m not sure why people think Hughes will end up a wafer. He’s 17.

Just based on his genetics I suppose, his brothers are both pencils.

Like if he fills out into a Tanev frame he'd be fine in all situations, but if he's a Petey-sized frame I wouldn't be super thrilled about him consistently winning battles down low. Shiftiness and quick sticks and IQ can win a lot of 50/50 pucks, but sometimes a guy needs some good old-fashioned muscle too.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Horvat doesn’t have a memorable hit in his NHL career does he?

Would you take Sanheim here? 6’3” 180lbs

yeah he doesnt hit at all thats why its sad. but at least hes pretty good at leveraging his body. its sad that petterson hits better then horvat. im using horvat as the type of speciman that you want in a hockey player. as good as quinn is he lacks something like hoglander has despite being the same height

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Just based on his genetics I suppose, his brothers are both pencils.

Like if he fills out into a Tanev frame he'd be fine in all situations, but if he's a Petey-sized frame I wouldn't be super thrilled about him consistently winning battles down low. Shiftiness and quick sticks and IQ can win a lot of 50/50 pucks, but sometimes a guy needs some good old-fashioned muscle too.
Quinn is 180lbs at like 5’9”.

Would imagine if they were similar you could easily squeeze 20 pounds into 4-5 inches.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020

Would imagine if they were similar you could easily squeeze 20 pounds into 4-5 inches.

He may be listed at that but if you look at him there is absolutely no way he weighs 180 pounds. I work in strength and conditioning and I would stake my career on it. Like, Bure probably had 2 inches on Hughes and was built like a tank. He weighed 190ish.

Pro sports teams are notorious for exaggerating weights on smaller athletes, it happens in the NFL as well.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
$750k - Corey Perry $1.75m - Erik Haula $1m - Carl Soderberg there’s your new 3rd line. It’s cheaper than Brandon Sutter.

I think you’re jaded by 7 seasons of terrible management. Most of us are. I think people get too caught up in the ideal. It took 12 seasons from Stamkos’ draft with good management to win.

I think you misunderstood me. I’m not saying there aren’t good pieces out there I’m saying to acquire enough pieces to make us good (3top 6 dmen, entire third line) in one off season is too much to ask realistically for a gm.

Your looking at 2-3 seasons of trades/signings to do it and you have to add in basically next year is lost with where we are at the cap.

Now if you advocate gutting our picks and prospects to clear cap space maybe you do it in 1-2 season but suddenly you have no young prospects coming in on cheap ELCs

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Itll be an interesting trade deadline, expansion draft, draft and Free agent frezy for the canucks that could make or break this team. GMJB is only competent in 1 out of the 4. At the very least he needs to be demoted. At this point we need to trade the likes of Pearson for a 2nd(possibly re-sign him in the off season), Sutter, Beagle Rousell, Benn for just about anything. I left out Virtanen because i believe he has negative value so dont wanna trade him +pick or prospect to just get rid of him. Might have a hole at the 3C maybe put Miller there? On the left side on defence we already have Hughes, Schmitt, OJ, Rathbone, Tryamkin? Edler if he re-signs for super cheap? We really need to a RHD and i think maybe trading Schmitt 1 for 1 might be the way to go im hoping for Dumba, Parayko or Ristolainen we may have to add in a late pick to make it happen but id say it would be worth it. With Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko needing new contracts its not like we can sign anyone. We have to play our prospects on ELCs or go bargain bin shopping too offset those huge contracts.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Hopefully Seattle takes Virtanen in the expansion draft but I think Benning will protect him because he wants to save face on his draft pick. Benning and Aquilini are of the same mindset, neither can admit they made mistakes and both like to double down on them. It's infuriating as a fan and a recipe for disaster as a franchise.

Reactions: I am toxic

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
This kind of thinking is how we don't have Stecher on the roster anymore but do have Hamonic, Benn, etc

Stecher is short, but he isn't that small. He's 5-10 and 186 lbs, which is 13 lbs lighter than Benn who has 4 inches on him. Having a low center of gravity can be very important for winning puck battles.

Quinn is 5'10. Some sites have him at 17o, some at 175.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully Seattle takes Virtanen in the expansion draft but I think Benning will protect him because he wants to save face on his draft pick. Benning and Aquilini are of the same mindset, neither can admit they made mistakes and both like to double down on them. It's infuriating as a fan and a recipe for disaster as a franchise.

No send Virtanen to Seattle, his time is done here.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Yes, 6'2 and built like a twig. He looks like he'd get destroyed by 19 year-old Pettersson in a bench press contest.

He's obviously very talented and apparently more of an all-around player than his brother. Can he defend at an elite level? Can he play physical hockey and handle huge forwards along the wall? Because most of the projections I see for him are as a top PP quarterback, and we don't need or have space for another one of those.

Just a little leery of yet another easily pushed-around top pick I guess.

Err, not quite "built like a twig".

This photo from October, shortly after he turned 17, shows he's already better built than his older brothers as well as being 4 inches taller. That's the kind of frame that will fill out very nicely.

Apparently Luke Hughes was winning mini-stick battles with his brothers when he was smaller than them. It's a bad idea to dismiss him just because you associate his name with his undersized brothers.

Anyway, there are currently a couple of defensemen ranked higher than him, but chances are that unless the canucks win the draft lottery they are not going to draft in the top 4. Luke Hughes could very well be the highest ranked defenseman left on the draft board for them, and from what I've seen I would have no problem with the canucks drafting him.

Last edited:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I would be all in to drafting Luke if we have a shot at him by seasons end. This situation could also undersell his stock a bit as he is not as highly ranked as his brothers. But the mind and instincts and compete will be similar. Much bigger frame

Wouldn't it be cool if this could be a continuation of the brother theme for the Canucks...Courtnals, Sedins, Hugheseseses!

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I would be all in to drafting Luke if we have a shot at him by seasons end. This situation could also undersell his stock a bit as he is not as highly ranked as his brothers. But the mind and instincts and compete will be similar. Much bigger frame

Wouldn't it be cool if this could be a continuation of the brother theme for the Canucks...Courtnals, Sedins, Hugheseseses!

From the highlights I've seen it looks like Luke plays the right side even though he shoots left. The X-factor could be the chemistry he has with his brother Quinn. Because of the age difference they never played organized hockey together, but unquestionably they would have played thousands of hours of pickup hockey, shinny, street h0ckey, even mini-stick battles together.

Maybe it's not the best idea for a 5-on-5 unit, but for the 1st powerplay unit that could be an amazing duo, as long as you had a right-hand-shot or two as well like a Brock Boeser.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
From the highlights I've seen it looks like Luke plays the right side even though he shoots left. The X-factor could be the chemistry he has with his brother Quinn. Because of the age difference they never played organized hockey together, but unquestionably they would have played thousands of hours of pickup hockey, shinny, street h0ckey, even mini-stick battles together.

Maybe it's not the best idea for a 5-on-5 unit, but for the 1st powerplay unit that could be an amazing duo, as long as you had a right-hand-shot or two as well like a Brock Boeser.
And you know, Quinn in my mind is not a bad defender. He can be very good when he really commits to it and has an appropriate partner. His size and strength is where he gets into trouble and tired. Luke has the physical frame to overcome that.

And from what I understand, he's not as dynamic offensively as Q, but he is more of an all around D with more focus in that particular area. I would be all for it honestly, and would be a great consolation prize for what we'll have to put up with this NHL season.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I have no idea where the disagreement lies. I never said any thing otherwise.

To make it clear, anyone who thinks the core is 95% there to compete in the future does not understand hockey. We are 2 or 3 core pieces away, including a #1D, another top6 F, and possibly a Vezina level goalie depending on where people are at on Demko, which means we have about two thirds of our core, not 95%.

My apologies

I must have read it wrong, as I agree with your statement completely. Thanks for the clarification, I hope I did not sound too rude......I was trying to be careful, but I was curious.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
And you know, Quinn in my mind is not a bad defender. He can be very good when he really commits to it and has an appropriate partner. His size and strength is where he gets into trouble and tired. Luke has the physical frame to overcome that.

And from what I understand, he's not as dynamic offensively as Q, but he is more of an all around D with more focus in that particular area. I would be all for it honestly, and would be a great consolation prize for what we'll have to put up with this NHL season.

If Luke Hughes is strong and steady enough to be the anchor, a Hughes-Hughes pairing could be very dynamic.

Imagine a high-minutes unit of

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Q. Hughes-L. Hughes

Harlem Globetrottersesque?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
If Luke Hughes is strong and steady enough to be the anchor, a Hughes-Hughes pairing could be very dynamic.

Imagine a high-minutes unit of

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Q. Hughes-L. Hughes

Harlem Globetrottersesque?

Only if they're playing an intra-squad game in training camp. :naughty:

Reactions: zcaptain

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Err, not quite "built like a twig".

This photo from October, shortly after he turned 17, shows he's already better built than his older brothers as well as being 4 inches taller. That's the kind of frame that will fill out very nicely.

Apparently Luke Hughes was winning mini-stick battles with his brothers when he was smaller than them. It's a bad idea to dismiss him just because you associate his name with his undersized brothers.

Anyway, there are currently a couple of defensemen ranked higher than him, but chances are that unless the canucks win the draft lottery they are not going to draft in the top 4. Luke Hughes could very well be the highest ranked defenseman left on the draft board for them, and from what I've seen I would have no problem with the canucks drafting him.

He definitely looks bigger than 170 pounds there. I was going off his listed weight and an older picture, but this photo is actually pretty encouraging. Needs to hit the squat rack but he looks like he could actually fill out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad