Post-Game Talk: #2| New Jersey at FLYERS |Thu., Oct. 9, 2014|

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Do I have to agree with all of you on this board? I don't like this team do to lack of speed,size,skill and most of all ****in work ethic that was missed till it was 3-0 last nite. We all have our thoughts on what we like as a team and this isn't it for me but I will watch to see what hexy does at the end of this year to make this team more fun to watch. Guys don't have to be so ignorant because I don't like this team.

People don't mind if you dislike the team, just don't spout nonsense about players and defensive ability being a boring non factor.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
This team is boring and soft and has no skill outside of Voracek,Simmer, and G. The rest take up jerseys but it's okay if you guys disagree.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Do I have to agree with all of you on this board? I don't like this team do to lack of speed,size,skill and most of all ****in work ethic that was missed till it was 3-0 last nite. We all have our thoughts on what we like as a team and this isn't it for me but I will watch to see what hexy does at the end of this year to make this team more fun to watch. Guys don't have to be so ignorant because I don't like this team or agree with you guys on Coots or Schenn.

Right up until their first winning streak right?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Most teams don't draft 8th overall to take a slow player that will only be a checker with Hamilton right their and Hexy won't either as shown with this last draft.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
B. Schenn has never shown much ability outside of being just a 2nd/3rd line "role" player. If he turns it on and keeps his position on the top line I will be very surprised.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This team is boring and soft and has no skill outside of Voracek,Simmer, and G. The rest take up jerseys but it's okay if you guys disagree.

They had seven 20 goal scorers last year. You said only three had skill. Does that mean that four players on the team that have no skill scored 20 goals last year? If so, I am in the wrong line of business.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Most teams don't draft 8th overall to take a slow player that will only be a checker with Hamilton right their and Hexy won't either as shown with this last draft.

You don't win a championship without a shutdown Center.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am not trying to be negative but I can't help it watching the team I love that played and worked so hard year after year look like this. Lose to Boston then come home and the top players didn't brush up against any Devil until it was 3-0. Leadership next to Voracek and Simmer suck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i am not trying to be negative but i can't help it watching the team i love that played and worked so hard year after year look like this. Lose to boston then come home and the top players didn't brush up against any devil until it was 3-0. Leadership next to voracek and simmer suck.

It's 2 games!!!!!!

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Last year and a half have been painful and if not a great PP this team would not have made playoffs. It's just low skilled,slow boring hockey. No compete along the boards no nothing.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do I have to agree with all of you on this board? I don't like this team do to lack of speed,size,skill and most of all ****in work ethic that was missed till it was 3-0 last nite. We all have our thoughts on what we like as a team and this isn't it for me but I will watch to see what hexy does at the end of this year to make this team more fun to watch. Guys don't have to be so ignorant because I don't like this team or agree with you guys on Coots or Schenn.

You can like or dislike whoever you want, but when you say stupid **** that makes no sense and has nothing to do with reality then you're going to get called out on it.

You're wrong, it's really just that simple. It's not a matter of opinion or debate, what you're saying is just plain false. If you can't recognize that then whatever, but don't be surprised and sensitive when people who know more than you tell you that you're wrong.

Specifically what you're saying about Giroux and Couturier is idiotic. You're either biased against them for some reason or you're ignorant of reality.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I know it takes a full team to win but it's gonna be forever with the way the team is set up right now. What if our D prospects don't turn out the way we think.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Coots is just to slow to make a difference in the game two way. If you like him fine but I like Jaret stoll type top checkers that can skate,hit,block shots,and chip from time to time. G is not as good a player as 3 years ago from a work ethic stand point and it is easy to see. Still get 86 points so could you imagine if he showed up for 60min not 25. Just isn't as fast a player and doesn't hustle the same as he did but he's up against the best now. Still a good player though.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
And the sky is blue and water is wet. Still not sure what it has to do with what I said.

Geez, not sure what is so unclear.

You posted about how significant a Coburn loss is. I responded that any team would be hurting in the same circumstances.

As someone noted in the Habs GDT, take Emelin off of the Habs. Today that would suck for Montreal, but doesn't seem that siginificant. Take Emelin off the Habs after taking away Subban and Markov; now that seems pretty siginificant.

Re: Pronger. There's no reason to think he wouldn't be better than Schenn, Grossmann, MacDonald, Del Zotto. Arguably, Streit and Coburn could have a leg up on him now, but I doubt it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Coots is just to slow to make a difference in the game two way. If you like him fine but I like Jaret stoll type top checkers that can skate,hit,block shots,and chip from time to time. G is not as good a player as 3 years ago from a work ethic stand point and it is easy to see. Still get 86 points so could you imagine if he showed up for 60min not 25. Just isn't as fast a player and doesn't hustle the same as he did but he's up against the best now. Still a good player though.

This is from 2013-14.

Stoll: 27 points while being not as good defensively as Couturier.

Couturier: 39 points while being better defensively than Stoll.

Care to explain why you'd prefer Stoll over Couturier?

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

You can't be serious.. I know Pens fans that are more optimistic about the Flyers than you. If you hate every player on the team and think they're all trash, why do you watch? "What if our defense prospects don't turn out the way we want"? What if every player gets a career ending injury? You're just looking for reasons to be pessimistic and coming up with things that just aren't true. Sorry if every player on the team is boring except our top 3 scorers, you must think the recent championship teams in Boston and LA are boring and should have traded all their players too, right? Who needs players that are proficient defensively, amirite?

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I hate when people just flat out discount powerplay points. Powerplay points ARE STILL POINTS. There's nothing wrong with having a good powerplay. Also, as Appleyard has posted many times to explain to people, when teams as a whole score more at even strength, every player seems like a much better even strength player than the rest of the league, that's why Giroux could go from top 5, to 20s and back up to top 5 even though he is completely the same player. Also, making the playoffs is still making the playoffs, no matter how you cut it. You can say we only made the playoffs because of the powerplay all you want, but you know what that doesn't change? WE STILL MADE THE PLAYOFFS. I could go on and on about stuff you say, but I won't bother. It will get me to worked up.

AFTeRMaTH*

I hate when people just flat out discount powerplay points. Powerplay points ARE STILL POINTS. There's nothing wrong with having a good powerplay. Also, as Appleyard has posted many times to explain to people, when teams as a whole score more at even strength, every player seems like a much better even strength player than the rest of the league, that's why Giroux could go from top 5, to 20s and back up to top 5 even though he is completely the same player. Also, making the playoffs is still making the playoffs, no matter how you cut it. You can say we only made the playoffs because of the powerplay all you want, but you know what that doesn't change? WE STILL MADE THE PLAYOFFS. I could go on and on about stuff you say, but I won't bother. It will get me to worked up.

Umm probably because the best teams in the league are good 5on5 teams?
We're almost to the point of being the Washington Capitals. This team needs to learn how to play offense 5on5.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Umm probably because the best teams in the league are good 5on5 teams?
We're almost to the point of being the Washington Capitals. This team needs to learn how to play offense 5on5.

Being good at 5v5 usually starts with good defence that can move a puck... simply due to breaking out of your own zone regularly being key to 5v5 play.

With our D the best we can hope for is the forwards dragging them up to ~14th-16th at EV... as they did last year.

Our teams GF20 at 5v5 is better over the last 2 years than 3 of the top ten 5v5 teams in that time.

The team is 12th at 5v5 on offence over the last 2 years.

They are 23rd at 5v5 on defence over the last 2 years.

1 of the top 15 teams in 5v5 GF% over the last two years has a defence worse than 15th in GF20.

9 out of 10 teams who are bottom ten 5v5 GF% over the last two years are also bottom ten in GA20 5v5 . New Jersey are the only exception, 8th worst at 5v5 with a good D.

Basically to be a good 5v5 team it starts with D. They are the key.

We ain't going to be a good 5v5 team with the D we had... the last time we were a great 5v5 (and we were top 5 for two years) we had Kimmo, Pronger, Carle and Coburn as our top 4.

MadFerIt95*

I know right? What kind of so called "Captain" is Giroux for not playing every minute of every game? A real leader wouldn't take any time on the bench.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Being good at 5v5 usually starts with good defence that can move a puck... simply due to breaking out of your own zone regularly being key to 5v5 play.

With our D the best we can hope for is the forwards dragging them up to ~14th-16th at EV... as they did last year.

Our teams GF20 at 5v5 is better over the last 2 years than 3 of the top ten 5v5 teams in that time.

The team is 12th at 5v5 on offence over the last 2 years.

They are 23rd at 5v5 on defence over the last 2 years.

1 of the top 15 teams in 5v5 GF% over the last two years has a defence worse than 15th in GF20.

9 out of 10 teams who are bottom ten 5v5 GF% over the last two years are also bottom ten in GA20 5v5 . New Jersey are the only exception, 8th worst at 5v5 with a good D.

Basically to be a good 5v5 team it starts with D. They are the key.

We ain't going to be a good 5v5 team with the D we had... the last time we were a great 5v5 (and we were top 5 for two years) we had Kimmo, Pronger, Carle and Coburn as our top 4.

This. Our struggles at 5 on 5 are a direct result of our defense doing a piss-poor job at moving the puck.

When you have guys that chip it off the glass or make an errant pass back to the other team, it's kind of hard to get your offense started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad