Post-Game Talk: 2 Down, 2 To Go

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That unreal goal by Perry set up by McDavid, Perry wasn’t actually supposed to be on the ice. Darnell Nurse was supposed to be on the ice because the second unit has 2 dmen on it, so the first forward going off - Nurse is supposed to step on. Nurse recognized what McDavid was doing and yelled down the bench for a forward to step on- and the rest is history. This per Chris Johnston and Ryan Rishaug. Credit to Nurse.
Ferraro pointed this out on the TNT broadcast because he was basically right beside Nurse between the benches as it was happening.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
That unreal goal by Perry set up by McDavid, Perry wasn’t actually supposed to be on the ice. Darnell Nurse was supposed to be on the ice because the second unit has 2 dmen on it, so the first forward going off - Nurse is supposed to step on. Nurse recognized what McDavid was doing and yelled down the bench for a forward to step on- and the rest is history. This per Chris Johnston and Ryan Rishaug. Credit to Nurse.
So even Nurse knows he's more useful when he's not on the ice ;)

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 01-38-39 unisex-garment-dyed-h[...].png

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
That was best hockey from McDavid I have ever seen from anyone, and I have watched Oilers hockey and hockey in general since 1985.

We are spoiled!

And I want more!

Home game at Edmonton coming, Friday night, Cats are cracking already, Oilers are buzzing. Go and crush them already in first period, get the life out of their game.

These are the games we as hockey fans wait for years, and it is totally worth it.

Have to say while praising McDavid that everyone rows the boat, we are in this because it is so tight knitted group. They were between hammer and anvil during November but came out of that hole to be two wins away from the ultimate prize.

Love Bouchard steadiness out there in crucial moments. Love how Broberg or Holloway grap their chances to emerge into big league, it is toughest place to shine but they do not play hesitant hockey, they play with confidence and have to respect that.

Love how Nuge and Henrique while not being the biggest stars are total pros doing their job well from shift to shift, being responsible with the puck and covering the free ice when without.

Love our PK group as a whole, f***ing Warriors and that is all that needs to say. They are tough as nails while being agressive and mobile at the same time. Modern PK and it has caught some teams their pants down.

Love Leon, it must hurt him to play but hurts even more inside that he can't give his best for the team. Still battling there and showing example. Might have some aces in his pocket for next game though.

And love some Stu - so many doubted him but he comes back like fake money. We trust in you Stuart, we trust in you.

Love all you there as well, it has been hell of a ride but let's get this to the final stop and make it 7 game Final series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That was best hockey from McDavid I have ever seen from anyone, and I have watched Oilers hockey and hockey in general since 1985.

We are spoiled!

And I want more!

Home game at Edmonton coming, Friday night, Cats are cracking already, Oilers are buzzing. Go and crush them already in first period, get the life out of their game.

These are the games we as hockey fans wait for years, and it is totally worth it.

Have to say while praising McDavid that everyone rows the boat, we are in this because it is so tight knitted group. They were between hammer and anvil during November but came out of that hole to be two wins away from the ultimate prize.

Love Bouchard steadiness out there in crucial moments. Love how Broberg or Holloway grap their chances to emerge into big league, it is toughest place to shine but they do not play hesitant hockey, they play with confidence and have to respect that.

Love how Nuge and Henrique while not being the biggest stars are total pros doing their job well from shift to shift, being responsible with the puck and covering the free ice when without.

Love our PK group as a whole, f***ing Warriors and that is all that needs to say. They are tough as nails while being agressive and mobile at the same time. Modern PK and it has caught some teams their pants down.

Love Leon, it must hurt him to play but hurts even more inside that he can't give his best for the team. Still battling there and showing example. Might have some aces in his pocket for next game though.

And love some Stu - so many doubted him but he comes back like fake money. We trust in you Stuart, we trust in you.

Love all you there as well, it has been hell of a ride but let's get this to the final stop and make it 7 game Final series.
Like great post

Shout out to Bouch for breaking the NHL record for assists by a defenseman in the playoffs
He also gets the record for best record for a non-elite defenceman ever awarded.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Fans get more upset over records being broken than the players who lose their record.

Like you said, just enjoy it.
Well I don't want Ovi to pass Gretzky, Im sure no other Oilers' fans care though.
I was also a salty biatch and happy that Wayne never won one outside of Edmonton.

Reactions: McDoused

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I just finished watching the game so I'm still flying lol

Legacy game for McDavid imo. McSelke. An all-time great performance and he should win the Conn Smythe. Could retire an Oiler without a cup, and I would never question his willpower or ability to rise to the occasion after these two games. Going off like this, down 0-3, in the finals, is legendary stuff.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
My only worry after that game is how bad we played in the third and how much momentum Florida gained at the end there. That helped us to our crazy game 4. Crowd is gonna help us though.
No matter how much momentum they had. We had the last word and scored the last goal of the period. Espacially after Ratboys miracolous save on the goalline, just to see Connor squeezing it through him.

That must be hard.....

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is what I was watching, yes. He could have easily gotten there before McDavid. He didn't even try anything. He just gave up, McDavid didn't give up(Credit to Tkachuk, he didn't give up either, a great play by him).

And it's not a good sign. You're up 3-2 in the finals as Panthers, you're still leading. But I feel like they act and behave like they've already lost.

Oilers have a huge psychological advantage, and I feel like Barkov's "silent leadership" is not the right vibe that they need. That's why I feel quite confident that Oilers will force game 7. In game 7, anything is possible, and Panthers will probably show something better when they have their backs against the wall.

It's also good to remember that Oilers have shown that they're capable of coming back from situations of this nature, several times this season. They have the sort of a routine when they're with their backs against the wall. Even I almost gave up on them when they started the season 2-9-1 and was thinking that there's no way they can make the playoffs anymore. But they went on that 16-game winning streak and actually did it.

It's also good to remember, right now, it does not matter that the series was 0-3. Now it's 2-3. How many times a team has risen to win after being 0-3 in a series does NOT matter at all. It was only done once, 82 years ago? Completely irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is how often a team's won while being down 2-3. And Oilers themselves have done that in the past, this very playoffs run.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Yessss. And I think we’ll hear from Drai before this series is done. McD has taken over and won games for us, Drai will have his game too. Likely in Game 6, a dominant performance to power us to Game 7.

Lol

Crazy. Saw Perry hiding out by by he benches too and the Cats didn’t even catch him coming up on the play. Great read by Nursey and great veteran awareness by Perry.
Veteran Presence ala Shorsey!

Reactions: McDoused

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So last round Benn said the Oilers had the easy path to the western conference. The Oilers never played a team like us. Lets show them what a real team is like.

Tkachuk told his brother it would end in game 4. Then he makes his guarantee for game 5. I would like players to keep making guarantee it just pisses McDavid off and a piss off McDavid is their worst nightmare.

I am not going to make a prediction but every time this team is counted out the fight like a cornered honey badger animal

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Most Points, one Playoff, in NHL history:

47 -- Gretzky (Edm.) 1985
44 -- Lemieux (Pitt.) 1991
43 -- Gretzky (Edm.) 1988
42 -- McDavid (Edm.) 2024
40 -- Gretzky (L.A.) 1993
38 -- Gretzky (Edm.) 1983
37 -- Paul Coffey (Edm.) 1985

Most Assists, one Playoff, in NHL history: