Post-Game Talk: 2/2/16 7:00 PM - St. Louis at Smashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
The more I'm thinking about it having John Scott on our team might not be a bad thing.

deansredhalo

May 5, 2012
The low SOG don't really bother me as much, we had been racking up fewer shots on the winning streak and we were winning those games.

Honestly, our SOG totals were always a little skewed and inflated because we tended to settle for too many shots from distance that were of little scoring threat.

Being optimistic here, but I'm not hardly as upset about this as I probably should be. First game back from the break against a pretty good divisional opponent we've struggled against all year and a goaltender whose absolutely had our number, and it still came down to the wire and honestly could have gone either way. I think (or hope) they'll be fine.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
The low SOG don't really bother me as much, we had been racking up fewer shots on the winning streak and we were winning those games.

Honestly, our SOG totals were always a little skewed and inflated because we tended to settle for too many shots from distance that were of little scoring threat.

Being optimistic here, but I'm not hardly as upset about this as I probably should be. First game back from the break against a pretty good divisional opponent we've struggled against all year and a goaltender whose absolutely had our number, and it still came down to the wire and honestly could have gone either way. I think (or hope) they'll be fine.

We are mostly joking around. Except for that last play, I thought overall the team played hard and well. Was glad to see we weren't taking on too many stupid/bad penalties/mistakes like we have had and we didn't look sloppy at least especially in our passes. Just weren't able to score against a hot goalie and clear the puck on that last play.

Last edited:

twig

Dec 8, 2013
I'm so sick of the .....we ran into a hot goalie. ..CRAP !!!!
These guys just can't place or elevate pucks.
mostly on the ice or in the crest, that's it.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I normally would agree but Elliot has been playing pretty well for his team this year and has been having a pretty good save percentage overall and not just against us.

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Preds played hard tonight. In my opinion, they didn't generate many great scoring opportunities but neither did the Blues.

Regardless, I like how in the last minute of the game when we need to score we put someone in front of the net.

How about a body in front of the net at all times when we set up in their zone?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Preds played hard tonight. In my opinion, they didn't generate many great scoring opportunities but neither did the Blues.

Regardless, I like how in the last minute of the game when we need to score we put someone in front of the net.

How about a body in front of the net at all times when we set up in their zone?

In a discussion with Flyers fans they say PL is responsible for the Simmonds in front of the net experiment that has worked quite well. Makes me wonder why he has not found someone here to do the same. Maybe we do not have the player with the right skill set or one willing??????????

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
In a discussion with Flyers fans they say PL is responsible for the Simmonds in front of the net experiment that has worked quite well. Makes me wonder why he has not found someone here to do the same. Maybe we do not have the player with the right skill set or one willing??????????

There are three players with the size or the grit on this team to play that role Watson, Nystrom and Gaustad. The rest are smurfs or do not have the guts to get into the dirty area. Have to give Johanson, Neal and Forsberg a pass though since there the only three on the team with any type offensive talent for putting the puck in the net.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
There are three players with the size or the grit on this team to play that role Watson, Nystrom and Gaustad. The rest are smurfs or do not have the guts to get into the dirty area. Have to give Johanson, Neal and Forsberg a pass though since there the only three on the team with any type offensive talent for putting the puck in the net.

I said from the beginning of the year I thought that's what oughtta' happen with Watson - he's not just got size, he has decent hands - and that Holmstrom guy did ok without a whole lot more than that.

We also have a few others - given how father-time as slowed Fish down, parking him in front on the PP makes good sense. Can't do that with him having to C his line, though, but if we could skate him as a wing on the 2nd he could fill that mucker roll there, too.

Willy should be put there and told to figure it out, if he ever gets healthy. And Salo, while undersized, certainly is gritty enough - Horny isn't the biggest guy and he's done ok.

We have candidates, it's as if the staff just hasn't figure it out or can't get the guys to do it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I said from the beginning of the year I thought that's what oughtta' happen with Watson - he's not just got size, he has decent hands - and that Holmstrom guy did ok without a whole lot more than that.

We also have a few others - given how father-time as slowed Fish down, parking him in front on the PP makes good sense. Can't do that with him having to C his line, though, but if we could skate him as a wing on the 2nd he could fill that mucker roll there, too.

Willy should be put there and told to figure it out, if he ever gets healthy. And Salo, while undersized, certainly is gritty enough - Horny isn't the biggest guy and he's done ok.

We have candidates, it's as if the staff just hasn't figure it out or can't get the guys to do it.

Im not sure they want to figure it out. I think they would prefer 3 cutesy scoring lines and have just one. But like you said Watson or Salomaki would probably do well in that role. Holmstrom made a career putting his wide but in goalies faces. At this point we are grasping at straws to find something to work.

The D and Rinne have a nice streak going but the defensive scoring has taken a hit in order to clamp down. Last night that utterly confused look was on Lavi's face again in the 3rd.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ah, that last minute and nine seconds. Agony.

I thought we played hard and with conviction. Rinne was Rinne, and that's a positive thing. I didn't leave feeling like I'd wasted my time and was glad I'd made the effort to go to the game. I think it was probably better live than on TV--even more than usual.

Fortunately the weather wasn't as bad as anticipated on my way home. I got home well before the crazy wind hit.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
The more I'm thinking about it having John Scott on our team might not be a bad thing.

The love affair with John Scott would end after about his second game. Once we saw how truly slow he was and how little he could accomplish when it's 5-on-5, not 3-on-3 in an all-star game, we'd be bemoaning whatever length contract we gave him.

I like the guy, but he's a McGratten.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The love affair with John Scott would end after about his second game. Once we saw how truly slow he was and how little he could accomplish when it's 5-on-5, not 3-on-3 in an all-star game, we'd be bemoaning whatever length contract we gave him.

I like the guy, but he's a McGratten.

So true. Why not hire him to replace Stu though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad