GDT: #2 ⋅ ANA @ VGK ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Utah on Wednesday - leadership need to send the message to rest up , be as close to 100% as they can be Wednesday night and actually take their job seriously for a couple weeks before we start the annual losing streak

Fortunately I think hc and the ducks hate each other enough that they’ll be motivated

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Utah on Wednesday - leadership need to send the message to rest up , be as close to 100% as they can be Wednesday night and actually take their job seriously for a couple weeks before we start the annual losing streak
Yah because utha is no cakewalk. They are a solid team

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
If they don't look significantly better by the end of the first period on Wednesday, it's time to switch up that top 6. Aside from Zegras they look completely harmless.

If Killorn wants to be a vet that slowly gets his legs back he should be doing it on the third line. Leo and Cutter need to be half a step quicker. McTavish seems content to just reverse check everyone and then do nothing.

The talent is there, the configuration just isn't working.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Game would be different if this team (except Terry) could figure out how to score on breakaway. Z and Strome not capitalizing on their chances f***ing sucks.
Underrated point.

we still have to control more, find time and space, and start executing - It’s gonna be tough to convert all those point blanks - but I generally agree, some guys aren’t good enough at it relative to their skill level.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Don't think we played that badly really and kind of surprised how upset people are tbh. We played a good first period, second we were going ok into getting penalty trouble and the third we had moments but were second best, no doubt partly due to running out of legs.

Vegas capitalized on us making stupid errors (Lundestrom not going to get a stick on the PK, and Luneau trying.....something in his own zone) which is what veterans teams do against young teams.

We had a bunch of very good chances (Zegras, Strome etc) but couldn't convert.

Considering people were saying we were going to get blown out 6-0 in the GDT yesterday.....

The scheduling has been rubbish, no games for a week before playing back to back road games (lol) including the second half of the back to back being a top NHL team that has started the season with 3 consecutive home games (has this ever happened for Anaheim?). Always a tough ask.

Top line is a concern right now, they just look completely ineffective out there. Carlsson can't get the puck on his stick at all, and Killorn/Gauthier are not doing much else either.

Ironically we looked good when we would carry the puck with speed into the zone (like in the 1st period and parts of the 2nd) but soon as we resort to dump and chase we don't have the forechecking to make that work. We need to work harder at not getting shifted off our game, as we have talented puck carriers and need them using those skills to generate offense.

PP obviously is an issue but don't need to say anything about that.

I think the defense has looked solid along with the PK, and the bottom 6 looks good too.

Might sound crazy, but a couple of bounces go our way and I wouldn't be surprised if we win that one. And that's without a functioning top line right now.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Didn't get some bounces, but 3 goals in 2 games is an issue. Leo and Cutter have to figure it out fast.
Agreed. I’m somewhere in between, not gonna freak out but plenty of concerning observations to go around and concerning because we saw them all of last year so they may not be short-term

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I am in the camp that isn't too upset either. Played a decent game on the 2nd of back to backs.

But the top line maybe needs a change to kick start things.

I'd say thus far Zegras, Minty, Dumoulin, Terry and the 4th line look good thus far.

If they're insisting on Z playing wing, I want to see something like

Zegras-Leo-Cutter
Terry-McTavish-Fabbri
Killorn-Strome-Vatrano

Otherwise I think we really need to send a message like

Vatrano-Leo-Terry
Fabbri-Zegras-Cutter
Killorn-McTavish-Strome

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I am in the camp that isn't too upset either. Played a decent game on the 2nd of back to backs.

But the top line maybe needs a change to kick start things.

I'd say thus far Zegras, Minty, Dumoulin, Terry and the 4th line look good thus far.
Terry was okay. In the second and third he made too many passes to absolutely no one but he wasn't close to the only one. Dumoulin is the one guy I really have zero complaints about. He's doing well as a middle pair defender.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Don't think we played that badly really and kind of surprised how upset people are tbh. We played a good first period, second we were going ok into getting penalty trouble and the third we had moments but were second best, no doubt partly due to running out of legs.

Vegas capitalized on us making stupid errors (Lundestrom not going to get a stick on the PK, and Luneau trying.....something in his own zone) which is what veterans teams do against young teams.

Considering people were saying we were going to get blown out 6-0 in the GDT yesterday.....

The scheduling has been rubbish, no games for a week before playing back to back road games (lol) including the second half of the back to back being a top NHL team that has started the season with 3 consecutive home games (has this ever happened for Anaheim?). Always a tough ask.

Top line is a concern right now, they just look completely ineffective out there. Carlsson can't get the puck on his stick at all, and Killorn/Gauthier are not doing much else either.

Ironically we looked good when we would carry the puck with speed into the zone (like in the 1st period and parts of the 2nd) but soon as we resort to dump and chase we don't have the forechecking to make that work. We need to work harder at not getting shifted off our game, as we have talented puck carriers and need them using those skills to generate offense.

I think the defense has looked solid along with the PK, and the bottom 6 looks good too.

Might sound crazy, but a couple of bounces go our way and I wouldn't be surprised if we win that one. And that's without a functioning top line right now.
I don't think people are upset, more disappointed about the top line so far. And (at least for me) I just f***ing hate losing to Vegas lol

Reactions: Ducksforcup

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
One thing I don't get is what are they trying to do on the power play. At least the PP1. Once they establish possession, one player will be holding the puck while the rest are just standing still. Completely still. What on Earth is going on?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m not convinced Gauthier is even ready for the NHL, he looks pretty rushed out there and not polished to me. I wouldn’t mind sending him down and calling up Nesterenko

And the coaching staff is on thin ice for me. I want to like Cronin, but a lot of the issues are the same issues as last year so far

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Terry was okay. In the second and third he made too many passes to absolutely no one but he wasn't close to the only one. Dumoulin is the one guy I really have zero complaints about. He's doing well as a middle pair defender.
Dumo and Gudas didnt make any dumb moves…which is all I want from vet DFDs. Hell Dumo made that awesome stretch pass that sprung Strome but we didnt convert.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
It is 100% lack of execution. They still cannot run an offense.

This is not just fatigue, they literally have no idea how to play basic hockey.

This is all on the coaching staff.

John
Assuming this is true (I'm not sure that it is) is it really the fault of coaches that professional players are failing at the basics? That seems like it should be on the players.

That's like a Math PhD student messing up their basic algebra.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

Agreed. Not sure what some were expecting playing Vegas on a back-to-back on the road. I thought the Ducks played hard and had chances to win the game.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
One thing I'm wondering, is it worth moving Zegras to centre and trying McTavish out at wing? I think Zegras is a much better fit for the team as a puck carrying centre which I think McTavish is quite weak at while McTavish is a much better forechecker compared to Zegras. McTavish loses a lot of his forechecking ability having to be the playmaker on that line IMO.

I think Zegras would cook having two heavy forecheckers in Fabbri and McTavish either side of him. Don't think you get value out of his playmaking playing him as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad