Value of: 1st Line RW to Calgary.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Kane is the perfect fit, but failing that, I'm not sure which 1st line RW would be available

What about dealing for a C (Horvat?) and moving Lindholm to RW?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Marner for Toffoli and Hanifin could make sense for both sides. Marner is elite and wouldn't normally be available but the Leafs need to restructure badly. He's your Gaudreau replacement if Hubs if Tkachuk.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Marner for Toffoli and Hanifin could make sense for both sides. Marner is elite and wouldn't normally be available but the Leafs need to restructure badly. He's your Gaudreau replacement if Hubs if Tkachuk.
That's an interesting one. I'd prefer doing something like Hanifin for Nylander personally.

Ledge And Dairy

Doesn't work cap wise. And no Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk scored 40 goals last year. Marner and Huberdeau have only ever gotten over 30 goals once. Calgary needs someone who can score and win puck battles. Marner does not really fit either of those categories

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
That's an interesting one. I'd prefer doing something like Hanifin for Nylander personally.
Leafs need RHD. Andersson for Nylander

I’d prefer Hanfin over Andersson if it wasn’t over his left shot.

Doesn't work cap wise. And no Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk scored 40 goals last year. Marner and Huberdeau have only ever gotten over 30 goals once. Calgary needs someone who can score and win puck battles. Marner does not really fit either of those categories
Marner is one of the better puck strippers in the league.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
You don’t actually believe that do you? Says a lot about your hockey knowledge if you do.
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 6.30.38 PM.png

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Huberdeau-Lindholm-Meier would be a great first line.
Trading for Meier would absolutely decimate their farm system and they wouldn't have the cap space to extend him.

Any upgrade that Calgary makes at this point would have to be a net zero cap impact long-term or it would have to be an absolute rental.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If I'm being weird and poking around a few older guys likely unmentioned that might be a reasonable price but also good for this small window we have...

Tarasenko - but I presume Blues will attempt to compete and will keep him
Eberle - Seattle unlikely to compete and have 2 years left (Age 32); Seattle could retain a little to get upgraded futures.
Atkinson - Flyers unlike to compete and has 3 years left (Age 33); they'd probably keep younger guys like Konecny for a needed retool instead. Might be able to retain to make it work better for Flames.
Perron - Detroit likely not to compete and has 2 years left (Age 34); Detroit just signed him which might keep him from moving. Probably could retain to make it work.
Zucarello - 2 years left (Age 35); Minny likely would love to keep him to compete, but I wonder if Minny might want the flexibility next year due to the buyout cap hits. Perhaps if a three way was instigated, Chicago moves the high profile/expiring Kane contract to them (upgrade) and the Flames pick up Zucarello for a reasonable price? But Flames probably would need Chicago to broker the retention.

That being said, any player on a deal that is over 2 years, Treliving I think needs to do a little bit of a cap juggle for next season. This season I think we can accrue cap reasonably easily with Kylington on LTIR, but next season it'd be slightly harder with around 10 mil+ of pay raises to Vladar, Huberdeau and Weegar even with Lucic's deal expiring.

That being said, with the path Treliving is going with the current build, I think he has a lot of options and can just sit around and decide on the the most reasonable priced option to go with of the above players as well as many other players already mentioned in a bunch of threads.

He needs to be used gently, he tends to break a lot.

Same was said of Tanev and he's been pretty healthy here. I think Vancouver is just rough with their players.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kylington is a 4D, Zadorov is a bottom pairing guy at best.

I'd rather have Kylington and then figure out later if I need to do a lateral trade of one of my top 4 D for a different type of top 4 D with another team. That's way better than adding a bottom pairing guy who is the kind of player my team needs. Kylington is a good player on a good contract with good trade value, and could be used in a trade later to grab a meaner tougher guy who's actually a top 4 D.

Just the way I look at it anyways. The Leafs aren't one or two trades away from a cup, so I just want good players on good contracts. Tweaking the role players isn't a priority.
As a fan of a divisional rival, I can say this. I look forward to Kylington being on the ice. He isn't scary offensively often enough to make up for the opportunities he gives up to us defensively. Zadorov is a guy I have a lot of time for actually. He gets out of position with big hits sometimes, but you always have to know where he is out there. He is pretty steady most of the time. To me, Zadorov > Kylington.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stealth JD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Explain me what the Flames approach is in terms of cap space? What contracts are you throwing into the trade to make the cap work while you add a RW?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Isn't it $1.5M of current cap space? How's that getting you a top line RW today or at the TDL?

That doesn't include Kylington on LTIR of 2.5 mil, but I don't think we need it. Kylington is on regular IR now, but he's away on a personal situation similar in nature to the Drouin situation so maybe he could be LTIR later on?

If I'm not mistaken, as the cap accrues, we hit around 6 mil at the TDL and can fit a $6 mil AAV player as a rental at the TDL without needing to move any cap out. Unless I've read that wrong.

ie: a 6 mil cap player is $74K cap space per game. 1.5 million total cap space at the TDL is approximately that 6 million dollar player at 20 games remaining. 20 x $74K = $1.48 million

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad