Proposal: 1LD to Buffalo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You Wild fans severely underrate your players. Kind of refreshing honestly.

Yes. Young top 4 Dmen with good contracts are worth something.
IMO both Brodin and Scandella would have more impressive stats if they were moved away from MN and put on teams with less deep defences. Right now they don't get opportunities to do anything much more than play shutdown D, when they are capable of more.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So far I'm hearing Scandella, Brodin, Murray, Tanev, Edler as targets.

That's not a bad list.

I'm just gonna put this out there to the universe: Board, if you had to pick one of these guys to play big defensive minutes, who would be at the top of the list? I don't watch everyone else's games, but Tanev comes with perhaps the strongest reputation for smart defensive play of the guys listed, AFAIK.

Tanev isnt a LD but it would obviously be him, Brodin after him.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Not bad, but even though Gorges is pretty bad, I don't think Buffalo wants to lose a LHD to upgrade to another LHD, but that's just me

I think the same goes for Vancouver. Trading Edler away and not getting some sort of LHD back could be risky. It's good for a tank.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not bad, but even though Gorges is pretty bad, I don't think Buffalo wants to lose a LHD to upgrade to another LHD, but that's just me

I'd be more than happy to unload Gorges in a deal that brought in his superior replacement. Kulikov and McCabe can handle the other two pairings.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I will never understand why Sabres fans are so eagerly willing to trade Sam Reinhart. IMHO, he's an un touchable along with Eichel, O'Reilly, and Risto. I'd be willing to trade this years first, NYLANDER, and someone like Fasching for a LHD.

If you trade Reinhart for a defenseman, that defenseman would also be considered untouchable. Your line of thinking only works if we downgrade in swap, which no one willing to trade Reinhart is looking to do.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Seeing as Buffalo core is in their young 20's im gonna say you are not going to find anything.

I mean take a step back and ask yourself why would you trade a top pairing D in their early 20s?

This is probably the best post in the entire thread. To get a legit, ESTABLISHED #1 D, it's going to hurt and the ONLY Guy who would be off the table would be Eichel, and then would it really be worth it for Sabres POV? You have to give to get and quantity for quality doesn't work in this scenario. #1 D's don't grow on trees and are tougher to find than top one forwards. Hell, Edmonton just traded Hall, one of the best wingers in the game for what is really a #2 dman. IMO the price would be more than it's worth.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is probably the best post in the entire thread. To get a legit, ESTABLISHED #1 D, it's going to hurt and the ONLY Guy who would be off the table would be Eichel, and then would it really be worth it for Sabres POV? You have to give to get and quantity for quality doesn't work in this scenario. #1 D's don't grow on trees and are tougher to find than top one forwards. Hell, Edmonton just traded Hall, one of the best wingers in the game for what is really a #2 dman. IMO the price would be more than it's worth.

I like Larsson, but it's not like he is an elite #2, either.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Looking for a first-pairing LD, preferably someone in the age range of our core, preferably someone whose strengths are more in his own end than rushing the puck.

Available: anyone not named Eichel, ROR, or Ristolainen. Even for an elite guy, it would likely become a zero sum game for us if any of those players were going the other way.

Any ideas out there? Any possibilities at least?

if OTT isnt a contender at the deadline I can offer Marc Methot for a 1st

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He may not become the elite #1 center that you are looking for, but that's how the Sabres should value him in a trade, because he very well may be in time. And he's Buffalo's 3rd best center because of circumstance. ROR is a top 10 center in the league right now and Eichel is our best prospect since Perreault. That shouldn't be the knock on Reinhart.

Wait... What? How does your top 10 go?

In no order for me I have Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Thornton, Krecji, Tavares, Kuznetsov, Seguin, Backstrom, Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux, Getzlaf, and McDavid all ahead of ROR.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Wait... What? How does your top 10 go?

In no order for me I have Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Thornton, Krecji, Tavares, Kuznetsov, Seguin, Backstrom, Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux, Getzlaf, and McDavid all ahead of ROR.

Meanwhile, Hockey Canada put Thornton on his wing and sat Giroux in the press box in favor of O'Reilly. And Krejci and Kuznetsov? Come on, man.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Meanwhile, Hockey Canada put Thornton on his wing and sat Giroux in the press box in favor of O'Reilly. And Krejci and Kuznetsov? Come on, man.

ROR most likely will be better than Krecji going forward, but Krecji has been very good in the past. Kuznetsov...hard to say, but yeah, I'd take ROR over him. You seem to be implying that ROR is better than Giroux...really?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Rielly + Komarov + 2018 1st for Reinhart + Kulikov + 2017 2nd

Both sides will probably hate it though.

So the Leafs, a team also rebuilding, trades their only top pairing D, who is 22, to a division rival, and adds a first + one of their key vets, and in return they get another young F (Who has struggled), another #5 D and a 2nd?

I'm interested in hearing how this makes sense for Toronto?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So the Leafs, a team also rebuilding, trades their only top pairing D, who is 22, to a division rival, and adds a first + one of their key vets, and in return they get another young F (Who has struggled), another #5 D and a 2nd?

I'm interested in hearing how this makes sense for Toronto?

Sam Reinhart - Just another struggling young forward.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sam Reinhart - Just another struggling young forward.

I mean we already have Marner, Nylander, and Matthews who can all be argued as better or equal to him, how does adding to them while taking away from the defense help?

Reinhart would be a luxury, and to be honest he's still unproven so moving a big piece of our core for him makes no sense either. Rielly is more proven in the NHL.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Kulikov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian

It's a solid top-4. Draft another defenseman in the 1st round of the 2017 draft.

If available go after a guy like Alzner.

The main need is a guy to get Franson out of the top-6 and have him be the #7 or #8 defenseman.

Don't waste assets on something we can hope to develop or get via UFA.

Signing Alzner would give te 2017 team...

Alzner-Ristolainen
Kulikov-Bogosian
Gorges-McCabe
------------------
Guhle-Nelson In Rochester

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like Larsson a lot, but Edmonton overpaid in that deal. I'd prefer my GM not do the same. Although Murray has no problem overpaying for a player he covets, so I wouldn't ever say the possibility of moving Reinhart is completely off the table. I do think we could do better than Murray if we decided to move Reinhart.

Really ? I don't think they did . Larsson is what the NJD fans said he was and to me the Oilers are a better team . So in a trade 1 for 1 that makes the team better how can you say the team that is better overpaid ? I am an Oiler fan that wanted Hall traded for a few years . He just comes across as me first type of guy . But we will have to wait and see . 9 games is too short to call

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really ? I don't think they did . Larsson is what the NJD fans said he was and to me the Oilers are a better team . So in a trade 1 for 1 that makes the team better how can you say the team that is better overpaid ? I am an Oiler fan that wanted Hall traded for a few years . He just comes across as me first type of guy . But we will have to wait and see . 9 games is too short to call

I know you were one of the few who advocated trading some of the Oiler's top offensive players for solid, but statistically underwhelming Dmen such as Larsson. It is early, and there are other factors in play such as goaltending( though it's amazing how much better a goalie looks when he doesn't have to stop 2nd and 3rd rebounds, etc..) and lack of injuries, but the Hall trade sure doesn't seem to have hurt you EDM...and guess what, NJD fans are now looking for a solid top 4 Dman! Cool thing is that Larsson is young, and still has yet to reach his peak. Dmen, as we all should know, usually take longer to develop, but they also have a longer shelf life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad