Blue Jays Discussion: 1B Chris Colabello tests positive for PEDs; Suspended 80 games by MLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

Some of you need to realize that players like Bautista who remain elite hitters until their mid 30's (and potentially beyond) are a rarity, not the norm. Tulowitzki has been showing some systemic signs of decline for 2-3 years now (contact rate, whiff rate, etc). He's also turning 32 this year and has a laundry list of past injuries which easily could have caught up to him. Is he likely to continue being as bad as he's been? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that its "all good".

That's kinda where my thought processes is headed too.

I mean, 2014 was a bit of an anomaly on the high end (170 wRC+) for Tulowitzki's bat, but will the Jays get a 120-140 wRC+ season out of him? Will they even get a 110-120 wRC+ season? As time goes on, being even a league average hitter over the course of a season is becoming a bigger and bigger stretch, and with all the other pieces struggling right now, they don't need one of their top paid players to have one of his worst seasons.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its not even mid april. i have no doubt tulo will turn it around. and i have to say that the way jb and ee are playing they might have wanted to sign the contract that was offered prior to spring training.

but that's the catch with this team we have 4 of the streakiest power hitters in the game. jb jd ee tulo its just a matter of when. remember last year. Edwin couldn't square the ball up till the end of may. so many pop ups. then he went on a torrid run

and i cant remember who was the other advocate.
but SMOAK is making us Look good. atleast the last game he did.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Smoak hitting ahead of Tulo tonight.

ChpQjYcU4AAi7xO.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not really -- people are conveniently ignoring the 3 runs on 9 hits and 6 walks.

Again, 0-9 with runners in scoring position, 11 runners left on base. That's another loss-worthy performance right there -- Smoak bailed them out from what should have been a loss.

I think the "us" he's referring to is the group of posters defending Smoak prior to his clutch homers yesterday.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That would be me. I believe there was one more as well.

I'll take credit for it, but I think most people would have agreed... it was probably just the one person who was concerned.

The timing was just really convenient for our side. We went from defending his 105 wRC+ to not needing to defend it because it's 149.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'll take credit for it, but I think most people would have agreed... it was probably just the one person who was concerned.

The timing was just really convenient for our side. We went from defending his 105 wRC+ to not needing to defend it because it's 149.

Now that Cola is out of the picture we really don't need to argue anymore. Smoak will go out there every day and show what he can do. I was actually relieved when Cola was suspended so that Smoak could play every game and we wouldn't be carrying three first basemen with one arguably belonging in AAA :laugh:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I just see a switch hitting bautista/Edwin. the first couple years they were here. he was all tools. they just need to refine his swing to keep improving it.

people seem to forget how both of our big bats played here for a few years

the big difference he considered a top 10 d at the position he plays

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think the concerns regarding Tulo and Martin are warranted, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the media speculation is accurate.

If it was possible to move both their contracts to accommodate signing Bautista and Encarnacion to mutually amicable contract extensions, it is worthwhile for management to consider the options at the very least. The problem is that there aren't going to be any takers if things don't change drastically.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think the concerns regarding Tulo and Martin are warranted, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the media speculation is accurate.

Can you explain?

The only speculating I've seen or heard the media do is to say it's early and both have proven track records and they expect them to turn it around.

Have I missed something?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Can you explain?

The only speculating I've seen or heard the media do is to say it's early and both have proven track records and they expect them to turn it around.

Have I missed something?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I heard about the managerial concerns on PTS today, and the speculation was that if Tulo and Martin don't eventually get their act together, Tulo and Martin would be on the trade block to try and get their salaries off the books, which would accommodate retaining Jose and Edwin, and bolstering the bullpen.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I heard about the managerial concerns on PTS today, and the speculation was that if Tulo and Martin don't eventually get their act together, Tulo and Martin would be on the trade block to try and get their salaries off the books, which would accommodate retaining Jose and Edwin, and bolstering the bullpen.

Thanks. I didn't see/hear Prime Time today.

First I heard of anything like that about Martin, but I do remember Stephen Brunt bringing up the idea last winter that Tulo would be the player most likely moved by management to free up money.

LaCarriere

When was the last time a struggling player, with a contract like Tulo or Martin (money+term remaining) was moved this early in the season though? Also, Tulo has a no-trade clause. He may not want to move less than a year after moving to Toronto.

AA was able to move that dumpster-fire Reyes last year because Tulo had longer term remaining and more guaranteed money left remaining, which a smaller market/budget team like the Rockies were looking to get rid of -- and even then AA had to add in 3 young prospects to make it happen.

I see both right now as more of a flyer that a competing team would take at the deadline looking for something to push them over the hump. There's too much long term commitment and money involved for a team to take them right now with 5 months to go... unless you're sweetening the pot with a bunch of promising prospects, which I'm not a fan of.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
TSN - Cecil on boos: 'I’m not the only one struggling

Is it just me or does Cecil's comments rub you the wrong way? The guy seems to not want to be held accountable for his horrendous performance. I would have much preferred he acknowledge the fans displeasure of his poor play and that he is doing everything he can to improve/be better.

Instead he responds with "I dont know if you want to know what I think about it", "I'm not the only one struggling", "I've been in this organization for 10 years", "I've had 3 great years"

What a joke! Seems like he has a sense of entitlement and zero accountability. Who gives a crap how long you've been with the organization or that you had 3 great years. His comments just make me want to boo him more.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I dunno. I heard the actual interview and it never sounds as bad as it looks in print. Guy was just saying the team as a whole needs to play better. He's been around the block for a while. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's never been one to push people under the bus.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

Is it just me or does Cecil's comments rub you the wrong way? The guy seems to not want to be held accountable for his horrendous performance. I would have much preferred he acknowledge the fans displeasure of his poor play and that he is doing everything he can to improve/be better.

Instead he responds with "I dont know if you want to know what I think about it", "I'm not the only one struggling", "I've been in this organization for 10 years", "I've had 3 great years"

What a joke! Seems like he has a sense of entitlement and zero accountability. Who gives a crap how long you've been with the organization or that you had 3 great years. His comments just make me want to boo him more.

No, I thought the booing was ****ing stupid and I wasn't the only one. He didn't deserve that and didn't pitch bad in that appearance either.

The only thing that was a joke were the booing fans.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

Oh the irony......

Also, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad