1974 Canada/Soviet Summit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redbarchettayyz

Oct 30, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for bringing this thread back up, I definitely want to order the book. I've always found the 74 series to be fascinating, but it's a shame it's not very well known among modern hockey fans. The jersey I like to wear for Canadian international hockey events is the white '74 Team Canada jersey, and it seems almost no one recognizes it. Thanks again for the research.

cam0426

Jan 13, 2009
1974 Canada Soviet Summit Series

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, I definitely want to order the book. I've always found the 74 series to be fascinating, but it's a shame it's not very well known among modern hockey fans. The jersey I like to wear for Canadian international hockey events is the white '74 Team Canada jersey, and it seems almost no one recognizes it. Thanks again for the research.

I have got a white 74 jersey as well. I selected number 14 as I so admired Ralph Backstrom in that series.

I hope you enjoy the book. I have had many tell me they were really fascinated by the games Team Canada played against the juniors as well as the Finns, Swedes, and Czechs, as little was written about those games before my book.

Craig

cam0426

Jan 13, 2009

Just wanted to say sales of my book on the 74 series have really taken off. Thanks to everyone here who purchased a copy!

Craig Wallace

quixzotek

Nov 20, 2010
All this talk makes me laugh. The Russians changed the game for the better. The Canadians outright cheated to take out Markarov in the 72 Series because the Russians were killing them, especially him. The were'nt Canadian goon hockey and skated and passed with skill. Bobby Clarke instigated the purge on Markorov's ankle and he wasn't the same after that. They knew they would lose and did anything they could to save face. The is Canada's shame and embarrassment as they needed to cheat because they couldn't compete. As it is today, Canadian hockey teams, now that they have true competition, can't compete. It may be their sport but the Europeans have raised it to a new level and that is why the NHL is what it is today...Awesome. One last note: Wayne Gretsky born in Canada to Canadian citizens, but what is their heritage? Answer: Ukrainian, Belarussian and Polish. So the wunderkind of Canada is actually Eastern European by genetics and Canadian only in citizenship...lmao. Look it up!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
All this talk makes me laugh. The Russians changed the game for the better. The Canadians outright cheated to take out Markarov in the 72 Series because the Russians were killing them, especially him. The were'nt Canadian goon hockey and skated and passed with skill. Bobby Clarke instigated the purge on Markorov's ankle and he wasn't the same after that. They knew they would lose and did anything they could to save face. The is Canada's shame and embarrassment as they needed to cheat because they couldn't compete. As it is today, Canadian hockey teams, now that they have true competition, can't compete. It may be their sport but the Europeans have raised it to a new level and that is why the NHL is what it is today...Awesome. One last note: Wayne Gretsky born in Canada to Canadian citizens, but what is their heritage? Answer: Ukrainian, Belarussian and Polish. So the wunderkind of Canada is actually Eastern European by genetics and Canadian only in citizenship...lmao. Look it up!

Soviet homerism or parody of Soviet homerism? I guess parody. Makarov? Canadians can't compete? Genetics? Okay, definitely parody.

cam0426

Jan 13, 2009

With all due respect Clarke took out Valery Kharlamov - not Sergie Makarov.

I was and still am disgusted by what Clarke did - it was cheating. But the Soviets were not angels. When I researched my book both Brad Selwood and Rick Smith told me that the Soviets would kick Canadians in the skate laces to break the laces and force the Canadian to leave the game suddenly. Boris Mikhailov while being a super player was also viscous with his stick. Rick Smith told me that Mikhailov speared Gerry Cheevers in such a brutal fashion that Cheevers was in pain for much of the 74 Series.

Craig

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
During the summer of 1974 a lot of rumor about some NHL players Billy Harris wants to get for his lineup. I do some research in the old newspaper ( Toronto Star, Winipeg Free Press and The Brandon Sun ) and we read the name of Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Bobby Clarke, Bernie Parent, Henri Richard and Dave Keon as a possibility for Team Canada ' 74. I think some of this guys wants to play, certainly Bobby Orr but the pressure from NHLPA and Alan Eagleson and from the owner discourage them. For Billy Harris the center was the weakness of the team ( Lacroix, Backstrom, Walton, Bernier and Harrison ) but overall i thing they do a great job, Backstrom was simply fantastic, with Gordie and Mark Howe. Bernier was unlucky during the series, Tretyak made some incredible against him ( some croosbar and goal post too!! ) and his teammate Rejean Houle!! Lscroiz play great! Mike Walton was the bigest disapointement during the series, specialy in Moscow! In the last 39 games of the 1973-74 with Minnesota he got 41 goals, 29 assist for 70 points!!!! As Craig mentionned in his book when he was hot, he was hot!!! He won the scoring championship with this incredible second half of season.

To revive this old thread it is fun to think what may have happened in the 74 Summit if Bobby Orr could have played for Team Canada. Remember bad knee and all he had a monster 1974-75 season. Could he have led Canada to at least a tie in the series? On the other hand for the first time in his career he'd be up against a team (Soviet Nationals) who could actually skate with him. How would he deal with that?

Craig

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
To revive this thread. There were a number of players in the WHA who had put up good numbers and yet were not picked for the team. They include;

1. Danny Lawson - he was fantastic in 1972-73 playing with Andre Lacroix. (Maybe a line of Laswson, Lacroix, and Hull in the summit?)

2. Wayne Carleton

3. Wayne Connelly - Mike Walton's linemate in Minnesota.

4. Ted Green - good veteran defenseman

5. Jim Dorey - another solid veteran defenseman.

Do any of the above help?

Craig

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
It was a good series. Don't let the 4-1-3 fool you. With most of the games, you have no idea who is going to win until the final buzzer. Although, Canada's one win, you had the feeling!

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It was a good series. Don't let the 4-1-3 fool you. With most of the games, you have no idea who is going to win until the final buzzer. Although, Canada's one win, you had the feeling!

Very true for most of the games. The Soviets did win Game 3 in comfortable fashion although Canada showed some life late with 3 goals closing the gap to 7-5. Also in Game 6 the referring by Victor Dombrowksi was so biased against Canada you knew Canada had no chance to win or tie. I am convinced that if Canada was tied or ahead in the 3rd period of that game then Dombrowski would have found a reason to eject someone like Gordie Howe or Gerry Cheevers. He would do anything to assist in a Soviet win.

Craig

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
The "biased ref" **** makes me want to vomit.

A ref making a bad call that goes against your team is not necessarily due to bias. A ref waving off a goal that MIGHT have been scored with tenths of a second left when the clock used for the game only measured in full seconds? That's about as biased as an offsides call.

Canadians complained incessantly about the "too many men" penalty (as illustrated in the posted video) and yet the video evidence clearly shows that there were too many Canadians. I know, the ref was saving the call so he could whistle the play dead with only a moment to go and kill any chance Canada has!

Please. Canada lost. 4-1-3 in the Soviets' favor. At best, if you add that mystical Hull goal, the Soviets now win 4-2-2. Still a big loss for Canada.

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The "biased ref" **** makes me want to vomit.

A ref making a bad call that goes against your team is not necessarily due to bias. A ref waving off a goal that MIGHT have been scored with tenths of a second left when the clock used for the game only measured in full seconds? That's about as biased as an offsides call.

Canadians complained incessantly about the "too many men" penalty (as illustrated in the posted video) and yet the video evidence clearly shows that there were too many Canadians. I know, the ref was saving the call so he could whistle the play dead with only a moment to go and kill any chance Canada has!

Please. Canada lost. 4-1-3 in the Soviets' favor. At best, if you add that mystical Hull goal, the Soviets now win 4-2-2. Still a big loss for Canada.

I would normally agree with you – but have you seen Game 6 or read my book? The referring by Victor Dombrowski was an out and out “cheat.†He made a clear, conscious, well-reasoned decision to throw that game. It wasn’t always the penalties he called against Canada – most of them were deserved. It was that he would not call penalties against the Soviets (his home country) until the game was decided in the Soviets favor.

Let’s look at the turning point of the game. In the 2nd period the Soviets were leading 3-2. At this point it is a well played, evenly matched game. (Dombrowski has by now called minors against Marty Howe and Rick Smith and a misconduct against Marc Tardif for questioning the call against Smith. He ignored Alexandr Gusev “tackling†Paul Henderson on a rush in the 1st period.) In play around the Soviet net Valery Vasilev punches Ralph Backstrom twice in the face. Dombrowski who is right there does nothing. Play moves into the Canadian zone and he calls Mark Howe for elbowing. Legit call against Howe but what about Vasilev moments before? Henderson and Bruce MacGregor got out to kill the penalty. They break into the Soviet zone and MacGregor makes a nice pass setting up Henderson for a good chance. As soon as MacGregor passed the puck he is upended by a hard hip check from Vasilev. (It was a clean hit.) However Dombrowski signals a delayed penalty against Vasilev. Play moves out of the Soviet zone and MacGregor and Vasilev collide against the boards. Vasilev drops his gloves and begins punching MacGregor in the face and head. MacGregor knowing the rules against fighting doesn’t fight back. He throws no punches nor does he drop his gloves. He just lowers his head and takes the Soviet’s punches.

Things get broken up. The correct call is a 2 minute minor to Vasilev (already signaled), 5 minute fighting major, 10 minute instigator penalty and game misconduct – all to Vasilev. As MacGregor didn’t fight there should be no call against him. Instead Dombrowski gives them both 5 minute fighting majors. He “forgot†the delayed penalty. He ignored the instigator penalty which would have left “his†team short handed for the entire 10 minute penalty. He ignored the mandatory game misconduct penalty under the rules for fighting which would have cost the Soviets one of the best defensemen in the world at the time in Vasilev. And he ignored the fact that MacGregor didn’t fight. When both Pat Stapleton (team captain) and coach Billy Harris demanded Dombrowski explain the call based on the rule book, he threatens both of them with penalties.

If Dombrowski makes the correct call then the penalty to Mark Howe is nullified and Canada will have over 10 minutes of power play time to try and tie the game and possibly move ahead. And the Soviets are without one of the best defensemen on the planet. Instead both MacGregor and Vasilev go off for 5 leaving the Soviets on the power play with a 4-3 manpower advantage. They score to move ahead 4-2. Early in the 3rd Serge Bernier is fighting for the puck along the boards and Vladimir Shadrin (I believe – may be wrong) charges the width of the ice leaves his feet and smashes Bernier into the boards. Dombrowski standing right there simply skates away. But shortly later he gives Marty Howe and 10 minute misconduct.

Looking at Game 7 the issue wasn’t too many men on the ice. It was the timekeeper let the clock run on for 4 seconds after the whistle was blown with 1:32 left in the game. The Canadians protested and Tom Brown the ref ordered 2 seconds to be put back on the clock. (He said he only saw 2 seconds run off – media people there all agreed it was 4.) So when Hull scored there should have been 2 seconds left in the game. And the 10th of a second clock was working that day. It worked in Games 5,6, and 8. But not 7. I don’t believe that was a “plot†but if it had worked the goal would have counted. If that goal counts then both teams use their best players in Game 8 and who knows what occurs then as that game would have been meaningful.

Still want to vomit? I know I do when I see how Dombrowski was an out and out cheat.

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I just wanted to post here, that I got my latest sales reports and that my book "The Forgotten Summit" is doing very well.

Thanks to everyone here who has purchased a copy!

Craig Wallace

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Just for fun lets assume both Derek Sanderson and Bernie Parent had remained in the WHA as opposed to returning to the NHL. They would have been on Team Canada 74 - wonder what impact that would have meant in the overall result of the series?

Craig Wallace

espo*

Well, we learned from the best...................you guys.

I've yet to meet a Russian who didn't blame their fair and square loss in 87 on the refs.

And that's just for starters.

All you do is blame the referees in that series.
Did you see this:

I think this shows how Canadian commentators, fans, and players used the biased referee excuse in frustration.

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Just to revive this old thread.

If Canada won this series or even tied it, what changes (if any) do we think we would have seen in Canada/Soviet hockey moving into the mid 70's? Would Canada (NHL and WHA) simply have said "we have proven we are the best now get lost" and that would have been that? How would the Soviets have reacted?

Craig Wallace

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It wouldn't. Give it a rest already.

And stop whining about Dombrowski. Or I will bring up Koharski... wait, people already have :)

I am sorry - I am not sure what you meant by "it wouldn't." I asked a couple of questions.

As for Dombrowski versus Koharski. I am a tad surprised here is my understanding was Dombrowski was so inept and biased that even other European nations outside of the Soviet Union screamed bloody murder at his calls or lack there of. Don Koharski was the choice of many countries, even I believe, the USSR to work some games. Is this a fair comparasion?

Craig

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I am really sorry to hear about the death of Valeri Vasiliev. He was such a star in the 74 Summit and one of the very best defensemen that I ever watched.

He would have had a great career in the WHA or NHL.

Craig

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Question regarding Billy Harris (I mean the Billy Harris who played in the NHL in the 1960’s, played for the “Nats†in the 1969 WC’s, and coached Sweden in the 1971 WC’s and 1972 Olympics, coached Ottawa and Toronto in the WHA from 1972-73-1974-75 and finally coached Team Canada 74 in the 1974 Summit).

The Toronto Toros fired him partway through the 1974-75 season and he then, except for a one year stint as assistant coach in Edmonton in 1982-83 (I believe that was the year) dropped off the radar screen.

What happened to him? In the early 70’s he was considered one of the best, young coaches in the game. Rick Smith and Brad Selwood both played for him in the 1974 Summit Series and they told me he was an exceptional coach. They both indicated that he was a “true gentleman†who possessed a sense of “unbending principle and integrity.†They also said he was a great coach behind the bench. He ran interesting and creative practises and reacted calmly and appropriately to actions on the ice.

My thoughts are because he abhorred violence in hockey, that he was considered “persona non-grata†by the powers that be in the NHL and WHA and junior hockey. Am I wrong here? Or did Harris simply decide that with violence so prevalent in hockey in the 70’s that he wanted nothing to do with it?

Craig Wallace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad