GDT: 19:30 ET Öö Jörsi Övils ät Ömpa Öy Öitning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Can't miss kid scratched again.

I'm a big Fayne fan, hope he can shake off the rust in the pregame skate.

The eye test can be misleading, but so far, and granted it's reallllll early, but Hamilton and Brodin look to be in a higher class than Larsson.

Last edited:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Best GDT of all time. Put this isn't the record books now.

VOXBNre.gif

EiefLxu.gif

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

The eye test can be misleading, but so far, and granted it's reallllll early, but Hamilton and Brodin look to be in a higher class than Larsson.

I agree, it's a little disconcerting. But Hamilton's spent his whole life playing the North American game and Brodin didn't start impressing until he was paired with Suter. Still gotta be patient. Someone else posted recently that it took Hedman 3 or 4 years to start really looking good.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I agree, it's a little disconcerting. But Hamilton's spent his whole life playing the North American game and Brodin didn't start impressing until he was paired with Suter. Still gotta be patient. Someone else posted recently that it took Hedman 3 or 4 years to start really looking good.

I'm so hired of hearing the Larsson comparisons to Brodin and Hamilton.

First of all, Hamilton is playing with Zdeno Chara and Brodin is playing with Ryan Suter, I would hope they would impress or as a matter of fact, I would hope any defenseman would impress alongside them two.

Hamilton and Brodin are in the boat Larsson was when he first played for the Devils in his draft year. They come in and play PP, PK, and naturally, they are going to impress and put up points. Devils did that with Larsson, if I recall correctly he was playing somewhere around 25 minutes a game his first five or six games.

Now, the Devils are being smart. They relied on him heavily, they've acknowledged his weaknesses, and this shortened season, they are using to focus and help those weaknesses. It's the same thing Lightning did with Hedman. He really didn't start tapping into his full potential until this year.

Add to that, Larsson is still 19 years old. He's a kid playing a man's game. I don't care how talented or how gifted any kid is, they are no where near as strong physically as any of the older men in this game. He doesn't look out of place at all, and don't forget he was playing in Europe where he really didn't need to work on his strength as it's not as important as the North American game. Wait until he finally starts becoming equal to these other players in his strength, and you will see his game take off.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
People need to stop thinking that the best way to develop star players is to throw a 20 year old out on the ice for 25 minutes a night and tell them "go on, save our franchise".

That's what Buffalo did with Tyler Myers and what Toronto did with Luke Schenn, and they've pretty much ruined both of them.

Sometimes I think people forget that it took Niedermayer nearly a decade to become a top defenseman. Lemaire experimented with him at forward for a while because he was so awful in his own zone. He was a very questionable player early in his career, I'd argue Larsson is further ahead in his development than Nieds was at the same age.

Everyone develops differently.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Garon in net for the Bolts. Thank god it's not Blimpback

Lindback is injured, I was kinda worried they would throw in whoever is backing up Garon now. It doesn't matter who the goalie is there, anyone is gonna get torched playing behind that defense. Ryan Miller will too if he gets traded there. That's why I don't understand Yzerman signing Salo and Carle, or at least not both of them. They need some better defensive defensemen.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h

Former Devil Steve Thomas is an assistant coach with the Lightning now. Working with Lightning scratches on ice right now.

I didn't even know he worked for them. Absolutely hate this guy. Poor mans Claude Lemieux, and he ran his mouth about us during the 03 SCF when he was playing Anaheim. **** that guy!

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Lindback is injured, I was kinda worried they would throw in whoever is backing up Garon now. It doesn't matter who the goalie is there, anyone is gonna get torched playing behind that defense. Ryan Miller will too if he gets traded there. That's why I don't understand Yzerman signing Salo and Carle, or at least not both of them. They need some better defensive defensemen.

Don't worry, they still have Matthias Ohlund for 3 more years after this season. :sarcasm:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I remember looking at their capgeek page last year and being totally surprised he was still on an NHL contract. I don't even know if we'd be worse off if he was playing tonight.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't see how benching Larsson after he has a poor game will make him more confident/loosen up a bit/take a few more chances when he should/do any good for anyone. I just simply see no reason to do so. He needs to get confidence and benching him does literally the opposite.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Larsson's been having a tough time for the past few weeks. Plus Deboer said he was gonna try and rotate fresh legs all season. He likes Harrold's speed and we all know Zids isn't sitting, so Larsson's the only righty left for Fayne to replace.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zero worry about Larsson's game. Guy is 19.
He's 20 now, so we need to start worrying!:sarcasm:
I remember looking at their capgeek page last year and being totally surprised he was still on an NHL contract. I don't even know if we'd be worse off if he was playing tonight.

Yeah he's been injured for like 2 years really. I don't think you're allowed to buy out an injured player but I believe he's missed all of last year, and this whole year so far.

Also as far as Larsson goes this 8 defensemen thing needs to end now. Especially with Tallinder being ready again.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't see how benching Larsson after he has a poor game will make him more confident/loosen up a bit/take a few more chances when he should/do any good for anyone. I just simply see no reason to do so. He needs to get confidence and benching him does literally the opposite.

What about Mark Fayne, how is HE going to get HIS confidence back sitting in the press box?

This is not a slight against Larsson. He's a 20 year old boy playing a man's game and it's clearly catching up to him. Give him a few days to get back up to speed and have a couple of one-on-one practices with Stevens to help refine his game. Same thing that Robinson did last year.

We have eight defenseman for a reason, so that we have the luxury to do things like this. Would you rather be Philly, who has to have Kurtis Foster play 2nd pairing minutes because they don't have anyone else to put on the ice?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What about Mark Fayne, how is HE going to get HIS confidence back sitting in the press box?

This is not a slight against Larsson. He's a 20 year old boy playing a man's game and it's clearly catching up to him. Give him a few days to get back up to speed and have a couple of one-on-one practices with Stevens to help refine his game. Same thing that Robinson did last year.

We have eight defenseman for a reason, so that we have the luxury to do things like this. Would you rather be Philly, who has to have Kurtis Foster play 2nd pairing minutes because they don't have anyone else to put on the ice?

No, but I'd rather the journeyman Peter Harrold sit than our future. Sitting him will only make him more tentative out there imo. Once he becomes a player who's cemented in the lineup he'll take more chances and looks less unsure of himself out there. That's just how I feel, you can disagree. Also I've been asking for Fayne to play for weeks just to let you know.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why sit Harrold though ? Hes one of 2 defensemen who can actually contribute in the offensive end

That's the rub, you need him on the point now. Zidlicky's not playing the full two minutes the way Kovy did. Elias can't play the point but is there anyway because of no Kovy. Larsson isn't going to be playing PP this year, he ain't gonna be playing anything tonight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ehh let the kid of a night off after a few rough games for him. Maybe he will come back in hungry...worked for Sal and Volch. Just ride the Fayne Train.

Also this GDT is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad