Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I have a casual connection with the Wings whom I saw Sunday night. We talked about a few Wings-related things, coincidentally including the MBN situation. He told me about the meeting and how Yzerman wanted him to play in GR, but MBN wanted to go back to Sweden. It's why I was the first one to post anything about the Wings desire to keep him in NA on Monday morning (post # 671). He also made it pretty clear it was an amicable situation, and neither side "pissed off" the other side, as was "reported" on the interwebs.

I don't care to look back at who tweeted exactly what, but A) most of the tweets I saw on this subject were not from journalists but from bloggers/randos with Twitter followings, or just nobodies whatsoever, and B) if any journalists did report there was drama between Yzerman and MBN, then you shouldn't trust them, because they're clearly just looking for clicks.
Okay, I don't think you said anything wrong, it was just your word "garbage" about other reports I had a problem with. They were based on information by a Swedish journalist. But you're right, a lot about this has been blown up. I was shocked at first, then I got more info about what really happened.

I've been a part of the Norwegian hockey community for a long time, so I'm close to the players. I'd say it was MBN's agent who called the meeting tense, I believe he was there. MBN didn't say much about it except "I wasn't the toughest in there", "The GM was nice to me, but I don't know what was said behind closed doors after I left the meeting".

The headline "Turns his back on Yzerman" was used by a Norwegian hockey podcast. Even though it's kind of true, it sounds way more dramatic than it really was.

I think we all agree that MBN's decision means nothing when it comes to his future with the Wings. He's a valuable player who has potential to become their top scorer in a few years. A young man with lots of humor and a warm personality, but he wants to do things his way when it comes to his developement. As others said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Okay, I don't think you said anything wrong, it was just your word "garbage" about other reports I had a problem with. They were based on information by a Swedish journalist. But you're right, a lot about this has been blown up. I was shocked at first, then I got more info about what really happened.

I've been a part of the Norwegian hockey community for a long time, so I'm close to the players. I'd say it was MBN's agent who called the meeting tense, I believe he was there. MBN didn't say much about it except "I wasn't the toughest in there", "The GM was nice to me, but I don't know what was said behind closed doors after I left the meeting".

The headline "Turns his back on Yzerman" was used by a Norwegian hockey podcast. Even though it's kind of true, it sounds way more dramatic than it really was.

I think we all agree that MBN's decision means nothing when it comes to his future with the Wings. He's a valuable player who has potential to become their top scorer in a few years. A young man with lots of humor and a warm personality, but he wants to do things his way when it comes to his developement. As others said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but media is more click-baity than ever, to the point where I just generally wouldn't trust headlines. The only "garbage" I was referring to was content that was trying to insinuate something that wasn't true. It wasn't meant as a blanket statement for every piece of info that was reported.

Now, I didn't know the piece about Yzerman meeting with MBN and his agent, and then meeting with just the agent. But knowing how Yzerman is, and how these things go, he surely is going to approach those two situations differently, and would almost certainly not hold back nearly as much while one-on-one with an agent. I'm sure that interaction was more "intense" than with MBN present.

And to be clear, since there are a bunch of posts in this thread to the contrary, Yzerman wanted MBN in GR because that way the Wings have more control over his development. The idea that MBN would have a harder time getting TOI or opportunity in GR is strange, given that Yzerman has full control there and can dictate all that for MBN. In Sweden he doesn't have that control, and in that league the priority is winning over development, so there's always the risk that MBN doesn't get the development Yzerman wants him to have while playing there. Some people seem to think it's the other way around. It's definitely not.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
True, but if he falls down the SHL lineup, I am sure they would be open to releasing him to go to North America if winning is their only goal and they don't see him contributing to that.
Of course. That's what happened with Dalibor Dvorsky last season. The difference is that Dvorsky played for the worst team in the SHL with the goal of not getting relegated while Brandsegg-Nygård plays for the reigning champions with the goal of repeating. The latter will play with good pro players no matter where in the lineup he plays.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
As an observation, we Wing fanatics REALLY need tomorrow evening to get here!

I just can't believe this is at all controversial. The plan to go back was laid out not from day 1 of camp, bu from day 1 of the decision to being him to camp. He didn't sign in Sweden w/o the Wings knowledge. He IS under contract and he was allowed to come to camp. I can't recall a single discussion around this guy making the Wings roster. With Kasper in front of him and a repeat championship opportunity in Sweden (along with a commitment to the team, and likley mental focus in that direction) the decision for MBN was not a decision at all.... STICK WITH THE AGREED UPON BY ALL PLAN.

What changed?

Assumptively, the Wings brass original skill assessment was below his actual level of play(A pleasant change from the last decade before SY). With this in mind, the developmental homework for Sweden turned into a smaller list of items, than the list they could bring forward in GR. The Wings suggested altering the plan. MBN thought to HONOR HIS CONTRACT.

A NO LOSE situation for ALL involved.

Now, for all that is good, please try and diconnect form this topic. I suggest a search for the Australia Olympic break dancing 2024 olympic highlights. If you don't laugh at that hhhmmmmmm Chris Rock Bigger and Blacker or anything Chappelle. If THAT doesn't work Mitch Heldberg (Donut, 3 way light, etc).

REJOICE WINGS FANS - Why? this guy is going to rival Celebrini for the best player picked in the 24 draft.

It's not controversial. We're just bored before the season starts.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The good thing about this is that the wings feel he is on a quicker path to the NHL. This might slow him down to a d+2 NHL entry, but if he improves what was needed from the organizations POV in the SHL he could still make a appearance in his d+1 year.

I bet the wings wanted him in the AHL to start to get accustomed to his fellow prospects. While unfortunate that he is waiting a year, he is a player they feel that is on a quicker track like Raymond and Seider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad