Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I think what he means (and what I also thought) was that MBN could be what we always hoped Mantha would become: An effective power-forward. Mantha without the aloof churlishness and laziness.

Which reminds me, I wonder if Elmer Soderblom is in the weight room, or working on his one-timer, right now -- because he should be. That's a guy that's going to take years to develop (if he ever does develop into an NHL level guy.) MBN is already physically and mentally mature, all he needs is work on the finer points. Sweden, with Kronwall looking over his shoulder, that's the perfect place for that.

It helps that MBN isn't extremely tall like Mantha or Soderblom -- those very tall guys always take an extra 2 years.
thank you for putting into better words what I was trying to say

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
What the hell this kid has an absolute bomb of a shot

Not a draftnik like some on this board so I knew nothing about this kid. I read the thread first and as usual it's divided between Stevie can't do anything right and that he can't do anything wrong.

After watching the video I have some pretty high hopes. Nice shot, quick release, and likes to get dirty around the goal. But the goal that really stood out was around the 1:10 mark of the video when he took a pass at center and exploded up the middle to split the defense and score on a breakaway. That's a move for a big kid at that age. Let's hope.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Those statements are completely consistent with each other. Reports put him as a high floor guy, there is questions about where his ceiling is and he has good character. And I don't have strong feelings about this pick and it could be anything. If he only makes his floor and is a bottom 6 NHLer his whole career that's a bust. If his ceiling turns out to be high he could be a top line forward and that's a home run. How is being agnostic and conservative about this pick so controversial? I am not saying "OMG HES A BUST" or "Yzerman needs to be fired for this pick".
I'm saying that your comments do not come across as agnostic and conservative. They come across as, "Draper takes depth try-hards with no skill. Here we go again."

And I'm also saying that at #15 overall, every option has warts. So it's not just a matter of how much a given team likes the existing skill set of a given prospect, but how projectable that team thinks a given prospect is within their specific development system. How well will this particular kid work with their particular trainers and coaches at each level to further hone his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses?

Do I think MBN is a home run of a pick? No, because I agree with you in the sense that outside of the very top of the draft, there's no such thing as a surefire home run of a pick. But I'm willing to wait and see without throwing a dig at the scouting department and coming across as a curmudgeon.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm saying that your comments do not come across as agnostic and conservative. They come across as, "Draper takes depth try-hards with no skill. Here we go again."

And I'm also saying that at #15 overall, every option has warts. So it's not just a matter of how much a given team likes the existing skill set of a given prospect, but how projectable that team thinks a given prospect is within their specific development system. How well will this particular kid work with their particular trainers and coaches at each level to further hone his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses?

Do I think MBN is a home run of a pick? No, because I agree with you in the sense that outside of the very top of the draft, there's no such thing as a surefire home run of a pick. But I'm willing to wait and see without throwing a dig at the scouting department and coming across as a curmudgeon

Yes, high floor, good character, questionable ceiling pick is something we've seen a lot of and I think it's fair to point it out. What I am saying is with this pick I have no way to even start gauging what I think his ceiling is. Without that I can't say anything but I am agnostic on how this pick shakes out. And because of that I can't have a strong opinion on this pick. However, given everything I do know, I think its very unrealistic to think that he'll be a regular NHLer in his D+2 or that he will be an impact player in the next 4 years. I think if it was safe to say those things those warts you pointed out wouldn't be so bad that he'd fall to 15. Players that you can penicil in in D+2 and will be impact in 3-4 years are top ten picks outside the deepest drafts.

PabloT

Jul 5, 2018
I have consulted the mystical oracle (it's the piss-trough from the Joe, it's been relocated to a secret chamber known only to actual shamans, and not dudes who name themselves Shaman69 on hockey boards.)

Brandsegg-Nygaard (we need an abbreviation for this -- Brandy or Aardvark or something) will play 2024-25 in Sweden, will start in Grand Rapids in 2025-26, but will get a call-up late in the season that year, and will stick. He'll fill in for an injury on the second line and will stay there and push that guy down to third line. He'll be an immediate impact player. Dylan Larkin will be 29 years old.

The oracle has spoken. Question not its wise counsel.
Taxi jr!

Reactions: RRhoads

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
When I see footage I actually see some decent upside. He’s got finishing ability. Really think if he pans out he is exactly what Larkin and Raymond could use

Reactions: Realgud

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm happy with the pick. Nygard is a guy who fits what Stevie is trying to build here. Right now, I like what I see, and look forward to following his development. Should be fun, especially if he's also working with some Red Wings alumni in Sweden.

Hopefully Holmstrum could give him some net front advice also if he doesn't mind teaching the kid some tricks learned over his career.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Lidstrom in swedish media said they had their eyes on this player for a long time and were a bit surprised he was still there at 15th.

They all seemed really happy when it was their selection. Yzerman, Draper, Lidstrom and Hakan (and Shawn Horcoff?) all looked pumped when it was their choice. Yzerman literally jumped out of his seat and was ready to run up on stage before the countdown even started, When I saw that, I knew they got their guy.

I'm not exaggerating, re-watch the draft when the camera pans the Red Wings table in Vegas.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think what he means (and what I also thought) was that MBN could be what we always hoped Mantha would become: An effective power-forward. Mantha without the aloof churlishness and laziness.

Which reminds me, I wonder if Elmer Soderblom is in the weight room, or working on his one-timer, right now -- because he should be. That's a guy that's going to take years to develop (if he ever does develop into an NHL level guy.) MBN is already physically and mentally mature, all he needs is work on the finer points. Sweden, with Kronwall looking over his shoulder, that's the perfect place for that.

It helps that MBN isn't extremely tall like Mantha or Soderblom -- those very tall guys always take an extra 2 years.

Anyone who can work churlishness into a player description earns a like from me.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Not sure why MBN's ceiling is any harder to predict than anyone else outside the top few picks almost every year. If anything, given his physical maturity, it should be easier to predict. But the reality is, nothing is ever easy in the prospect prediction game. One of the things that makes it difficult in MBN's case is he is not reliant on one specific trait. He can skate, he can muscle his way through even men's competition, he can really shoot, either slapper or snapshot. He's above average to really good in all those areas and not overly deficient in most other aspects. He's a pretty good passer, not selfish, certainly willing to put in the work to win pucks and help defend. So, it's hard to put a label on him beyond generic "power forward" at this point, which in this generally unthinking world that overly relies on labels makes him complicated. Heaven forbid something is complicated lol.

My feeling is MBN could be anything at his highest level, and that his lowest level is probably still good enough to play in the NHL for a decent amount of time. I don't think we should be in a hurry to say his ceiling seems lower than any other winger taken in this Draft except Demidov. There is nothing about his production in Allsvenskan to suggest there are limits we should impose on expectations and it's patently obvious he can really rip it. I love the pick. He brings a much-needed bigger and versatlie skill-set to the wing, a great complement to Raymond, even if they end up on different lines, and being around Raymond and working as hard as he does can only help him.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They all seemed really happy when it was their selection. Yzerman, Draper, Lidstrom and Hakan (and Shawn Horcoff?) all looked pumped when it was their choice. Yzerman literally jumped out of his seat and was ready to run up on stage before the countdown even started, When I saw that, I knew they got their guy.

I'm not exaggerating, re-watch the draft when the camera pans the Red Wings table in Vegas.
They were all laughing before the pick. It was almost worrying, like they had lost their minds.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
They were all laughing before the pick. It was almost worrying, like they had lost their minds.

The body language was telling. Then on the 2nd pick the clock was about to run out as they kept getting "time running out" warnings over the loudspeaker. That pick was down to the wire, so I get the vibe their guy was gone or they had a few guys available they wanted and couldn't decide.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Seriously, here are some choice quotes from EP, how can someone read these and not be pumped about having this player in our pool??

"Michael Brandsegg-Nygård is a gamer. Place him anywhere in your lineup, hand him any assignment, and watch him skate through a wall to see it through.....Far from just holding his own, Brandsegg-Nygård bullied his opponents most nights. He went into every retrieval seeking out contact and almost always connected. Thunderous hits sent his opponents flying from the puck, and when he couldn’t overwhelm them with brute force, technique would take its place in the form of reverse hits, subtle jabs at the puck through contact to keep it from his opponent’s stick, or a drive up and through their hands to establish inside positioning.....No real doubt about it – that shot can do damage from range. The Oslo-born forward has a bit of a drawn-out release, but the end result is a shot that’s powerful, accurate, and even deceptive at times. You won’t find many more diligent defensive players in this draft, either. Brandsegg-Nygård dutifully backchecks, tracks well, scans off-puck, and generally knows when to come low into the zone for support. When his team wins back possession, he’s honest, never cheating or flying the zone early for offence, instead making himself available as a breakout option....he’ll put the defence on their heels or blow right past them – he’s one of the draft’s highest-graded skaters for a reason. There just aren’t many holes in Brandsegg-Nygård’s game. He’s skilled, tough, hard-working, can score from in-tight or at a distance, flashes some ability as a playmaker – you name it. A real Swiss Army Knife-type of player if ever there was one."

I really wanted this guy but didnt really let myself get into the draft this year for various reasons, one of which is that I was getting tired of being so pissed on draft night (aside from Kasper)... especially since the 1st rounders are all panning out.

slimnipsu

Dec 12, 2019
Of course nothing wrong with 2 way, but when you are called 2 way, that means you aren't as good offensively. Who is going to score for us when we keep drafting the same type of player? The only outlier in recent times is ASP.
Don't wanna be douche in anyways but I remember that Datsyuk was always defence first guy. It's not always bad habit. I don't mean he's same type but I think red wings always cherish these type of guys.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t get worked about Yzerman picks anymore. I hate some, I love some but most are just uninspired but I hope they hit. This falls into the third category. High compete, high floor, questionable upside. This screams Draper pick. We have to wait 5 years to know if this pick is a bust or not.
5 years?? You don't know much about this player.

Did you watch him play at the Worlds a month ago? He basically looked NHL ready. He's never played with Zuccarello before, but they immediately clicked and both scored a point per game. MBN released some missiles and the goalie had no chance, in one rush up ice he knocked 3 opponent players off the puck, then a slick pass to Zucc who scored. And this was against good teams with many NHL players.

So he doesn't need 5 years. He's way ahead of most kids his age, including strength. They should actually just drop this year in Sweden, waste of time. Let him play a year in the AHL, get used to the smaller rinks. Then next year, if he has a good camp, make the big team.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
BTW, this shitting on Kasper by certain posters is getting old. He was 19 playing his 1st full AHL season and he ended up close to .5p/g and turned it up for the playoffs. He's improved every season so far and will be 20 for the majority of the upcoming season. He was never going to be star first line center, that's not what he was drafted for. A 2nd or 3rd line of him, MBN, and Mazur is going to be ridiculously fun to watch in a couple of years.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
5 years?? You don't know much about this player.

Did you watch him play at the Worlds a month ago? He basically looked NHL ready. He's never played with Zuccarello before, but they immediately clicked and both scored a point per game. MBN released some missiles and the goalie had no chance, in one rush up ice he knocked 3 opponent players off the puck, then a slick pass to Zucc who scored. And this was against good teams with many NHL players.

So he doesn't need 5 years. He's way ahead of most kids his age, including strength. They should actually just drop this year in Sweden, waste of time. Let him play a year in the AHL, get used to the smaller rinks. Then next year, if he has a good camp, make the big team.
If he’s that NHL ready then why did 14 teams decide to pass on him? Especially if he’s going to be an impact player in a couple years. Realistically he’s 4-5 years away from being an impact player, if he ever gets there.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If he’s that NHL ready then why did 14 teams decide to pass on him? Especially if he’s going to be an impact player in a couple years. Realistically he’s 4-5 years away from being an impact player, if he ever gets there.
I see your actual data and replace it with a reiteration of my opinion.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I completely agree that we pick way too many safe players in the draft. I wanted Benson last year and still think he will go down as the right choice when it’s all said and done. I wanted Nazar or Savoie over Kasper too.

But in this case - who is the high skill guy we passed on? Hage is the only one that comes to mind and I don’t think he has that much more skill than MBN. Connelly has skill but I’m not touching that if the front office felt his character issues weren’t resolved. And then Eiserman is Zadina 2.0, I will be shocked if he is anything more than a 40-45 pt one trick pony in the NHL.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I see your actual data and replace it with a reiteration of my opinion.
Evidence is that 14 teams passed on him and in a weakish draft like this one teams aren’t passing on a high floor top 6 power forward that will be playing at a high level in 2-3 years. I’m not saying he won’t get there but I’m saying he’s further away than some think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad