Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I've been pretty outspoken on here that there were other players I'd prefer... But we leave all of that behind now.

MBN is a wing as predicted. I think he'll have a really quick path to the pros and he will combine with Kasper to form a super angry, rough duo. That same energy Florida brought with their Bennett, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Barkov forward core, Kasper, Danielson and MBN will replicate. It remains to be seen if they'll be that good, and that productive, but that's the identity we're building.

He does it all well with a really complete game-even showing well at the world's because of how well rounded it is. His shot is really heavy and he can bury it even from a distance. Down the stretch as I've tried to hype myself, I've slowly developed an appreciation for his passing game too. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head like Datsyuk but he's great at hitting a teammate with a pass if the coverage breaks down for even a second. He seems super aware on the ice. Play him with a finisher and MBN will drive the net and either create an opportunity himself, or set his teammate up if the drive draws coverage.

Overall, he should be really effective and it won't matter if he's not a 100 point player if we grind everyone into submission. To go with Larkin, Raymond, Kasper and Danielson, our top 6 is shaping up to be absolutely relentless.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What the hell this kid has an absolute bomb of a shot

I think sometimes people have a tendency to get stuck in a mindset that anytime someone's talked about as having "high character", "compete", "good defense" etc. it automatically means there's limited offensive upside.

Allsvenskan especially seems to be completely misunderstood as a league by many. It's not that easy to put up big numbers there as a young player.

Lekkerimäki d+1 (18 year old season)
Regular season: 29GP, 3 goals, 6 assists
Playoffs: 15GP, 5 goals, 10 assists

MBN draft year (18 year old season)
Regular season: 41GP, 8 goals, 10 assists
Playoffs: 12GP, 4 goals, 6 assists

Lekkerimäki also went 15th overall and had a fantastic d+2 in the SHL and there's no denying his offensive talent.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think sometimes people have a tendency to get stuck in a mindset that anytime someone's talked about as having "high character", "compete", "good defense" etc. it automatically means there's limited offensive upside.

Allsvenskan especially seems to be completely misunderstood as a league by many. It's not that easy to put up big numbers there as a young player.

Lekkerimäki also went 15th overall and had a fantastic d+2 in the SHL and there's no denying his offensive talent.
Here we go again, bringing logic and nuance to an internet discussion.

HFB Rule #1: If the prospect isn't scoring at least 2 points per game, he's obviously the next Helm without hands... Or is that Glendening without a backhand? I get the metaphors mixed up.

I would've preferred to package the draft pick in a major trade for an established player, but that's much easier said than done, and MBN has both a skill set and a reasonably short path to the NHL that should help the Wings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don’t get worked about Yzerman picks anymore. I hate some, I love some but most are just uninspired but I hope they hit. This falls into the third category. High compete, high floor, questionable upside. This screams Draper pick. We have to wait 5 years to know if this pick is a bust or not.
He was drafted out of Europe, our first rounders out of Europe tend to be good. I agree that he has some skills that Draper likes, but so long as there is some input from Hakan I am reasonably optimistic. The odds of you getting a 100 point forward, 40 goal scorer, or 80 point d-man at #15 are extremely low. Eiserman dropping reminded me of Zadina dropping. We didn't think we were going to outsmart everyone by taking him. At 20 the value may be there, we'll have to wait and see.

Again, scoring line wingers can be acquired via free agency and trades. That's how we acquired DeBrincat and Kane. A core of Larkin, Danielson, Kasper, Raymond, MBN, Seider, Edvinsson, Sandin-Pelikka, Cossa and Augustine is solid work. Nearly all of these guys were acquired over the past 6 years and all look to be quality NHL'ers. This core is in line with what Steve has said since day one: build a roster that has long window to compete for championships.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I love this pick.

This kid is a stud, a physical specimen that dominated the combine, constant high effort, thinks and plays at high tempo.

We don't need any more offense-only forwards. Kane alone is actually more than enough. Debrincat plays a little D but his size limits his effectiveness. Raymond plays effective D and his gainzzz in the weight room have helped his strength but again, he's not going to contain a 6'2" wing.

Watching this year's playoffs, one thing that struck me is that the Carolina/Vegas model (all 12 forwards aggressively checking man-on-man all over the ice) has become the dominant system for good teams.

Hage is a center but there's no indication he'll be much better than Compher, or even Copp. I have a little FOMO about Eiserman but that's what makes this a bold move by Steve Yzerman. This isn't a safe pick by Yzerman, despite Brandsegg-Nygaard's high floor, it's a swing for the fences.

Reactions: Ori

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He was drafted out of Europe, our first rounders out of Europe tend to be good. I agree that he has some skills that Draper likes, but so long as there is some input from Hakan I am reasonably optimistic. The odds of you getting a 100 point forward, 40 goal scorer, or 80 point d-man at #15 are extremely low. Eiserman dropping reminded me of Zadina dropping. We didn't think we were going to outsmart everyone by taking him. At 20 the value may be there, we'll have to wait and see.

Again, scoring line wingers can be acquired via free agency and trades. That's how we acquired DeBrincat and Kane. A core of Larkin, Danielson, Kasper, Raymond, MBN, Seider, Edvinsson, Sandin-Pelikka, Cossa and Augustine is solid work. Nearly all of these guys were acquired over the past 6 years and all look to be quality NHL'ers. This core is in line with what Steve has said since day one: build a roster that has long window to compete for championships.
Debrincat was good but 100% chose us and screwed Ottawa...Kane was a free easy gift x 4 months...

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

This core has more questions than answers. I don't really see much high in skill from this group, especially the forwards...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The kid who is 207 lbs did more in a pro league than the kid who is 172 lbs? Ok.

Not sure that tells me anything about who is going to be a better player in 3 years.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
1000020250.png

MBN-Kasper-Mazur in the playoffs

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

As I said, I think this pick is uninspired but I hope it hits. Also by the time he’s an impact NHLer Larkin will not be a core player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The kid who is 207 lbs did more in a pro league than the kid who is 172 lbs? Ok.

Not sure that tells me anything about who is going to be a better player in 3 years.
I mean Lekkerimäki had higher goalscoring in the SHL in his draft year than Allsvenskan in his d+1. The point was moreso to highlight that even guys with legit, undeniable high offensive talent aren't automatic producers just because it's Allsvenskan. There's a reason most swedes want SHL expanded by several teams, because the Allsvenskan is good enough that you could immediately bring up like 2-4 teams.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So Larkin will be washed in two seasons? I don't think this convo is going to be productive so I am going to move on.
He won’t be in the NHL in two seasons. He will be in Grand Rapids or doing a last season in Europe. He won’t be in the NHL until very likely his D+3 or 4 year and it’ll be a couple years before he’s an impact player meaning 5-6 years. Which will put Larkin at 33-34

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He won’t be in the NHL in two seasons. He will be in Grand Rapids or doing a last season in Europe. He won’t be in the NHL until very likely his D+3 or 4 year and it’ll be a couple years before he’s an impact player meaning 5-6 years. Which will put Larkin at 33-34
MBN is entering his 19 year old season and has a good physical frame already. If his development goes well he could be in the NHL in his d+2.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
MBN is entering his 19 year old season and has a good physical frame already. If his development goes well he could be in the NHL in his d+2.
I doubt it. The Wings are nothing if not methodical and playing at least one season in GR for European players is pretty standard. There is nothing about him I’ve seen that says he’s going to make a quick transition from Europe to being an impact player in the NHL. The safe money is on if he becomes an impact NHLer it’ll be in a few years not right away.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I doubt it. The Wings are nothing if not methodical and playing at least one season in GR for European players is pretty standard. There is nothing about him I’ve seen that says he’s going to make a quick transition from Europe to being an impact player in the NHL. The safe money is on if he becomes an impact NHLer it’ll be in a few years not right away.
I don't have high hopes for this pick. Hope I'm wrong but he looks unremarkable, everyone is just a prisoner of the moment riding the draft day highs (i hope this is quoted one day and he is a star)...

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I mean Lekkerimäki had higher goalscoring in the SHL in his draft year than Allsvenskan in his d+1. The point was moreso to highlight that even guys with legit, undeniable high offensive talent aren't automatic producers just because it's Allsvenskan. There's a reason most swedes want SHL expanded by several teams, because the Allsvenskan is good enough that you could immediately bring up like 2-4 teams.

Right. I would say again (I'm probably annoying people at this point, but whatever), that MBN outproduced Dvorsky in the Allsvenskan, who was 10th overall and who many people here wanted over Danielson - and who produced very well when he was moved to the OHL.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

I have consulted the mystical oracle (it's the piss-trough from the Joe, it's been relocated to a secret chamber known only to actual shamans, and not dudes who name themselves Shaman69 on hockey boards.)

Brandsegg-Nygaard (we need an abbreviation for this -- Brandy or Aardvark or something) will play 2024-25 in Sweden, will start in Grand Rapids in 2025-26, but will get a call-up late in the season that year, and will stick. He'll fill in for an injury on the second line and will stay there and push that guy down to third line. He'll be an immediate impact player. Dylan Larkin will be 29 years old.

The oracle has spoken. Question not its wise counsel.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Personally I just love the pick because we are finally building the version of the team I think we need to. We need to play a heavy game to succeed. Tough physical with relentless forechecking. I think kasper and MBN give us that, and hopefully mazur puts on some pounds and helps in that department too. This past year we were noticeably soft and I really wanna change that.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
Booooooo! Easy pick was Eiserman or Connelly but Wings are scared to take a swing on elite skill sets. SY comfortable hitting singles I guess. Boring pick another bottom 6 forward in rd 1

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Then you haven't bothered to look.

"In terms of a versatile and complete two-way player in the 2024 NHL draft, none are more ready than Michael Brandsegg-Nygård. While his skating and poise with the puck does require some work, he is nearly ready for the NHL already. This is due to his amazing hockey sense and amazing adaptability. He never seems to be flustered when thrown into a new situation and can adapt and learn faster than most. This makes Brandsegg-Nygård a great pick for someone looking to find a player ready for the NHL after next season."

"Brandsegg-Nygard’s a crafty winger with a lot of potential; he’s pushed the limits and is setting his own goals now. His game is incredibly complete, and he’s got a nice scoring touch to what he does, and he relies on his many strengths to help him play to the very end. The confidence is shown in his skating and shooting, and he might immediately step into the NHL because of it."

"He doesn't come at you with a lot of flash or bang or anything, but he has got the hockey IQ to be a really strong two-way forward," Marr said. "His maturity level and composure are off the charts, so he could be a little more pro-ready than a lot of players that are in this draft class. It's going to be intriguing to see where the teams consider him because you're drafting somebody here who's going to have a short runway to the National Hockey League."

If you want to question his ceiling, go ahead. But questioning how long he will take to be an NHL regular just makes you look silly, because MBN is one of the most NHL-ready prospects in the draft who checks every box to get at least a handful of games in the 2025-26 season.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Booooooo! Easy pick was Eiserman or Connelly but Wings are scared to take a swing on elite skill sets. SY comfortable hitting singles I guess. Boring pick another bottom 6 forward in rd 1
You don’t think taking the 1st Norwegian to go in the 1st round isn’t swinging for the fences? Its a big time risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad