Prospect Info: 12th Overall 2024 Draft, LHD Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Kind of interesting that Blues weren't able (or willing) to outbid a 3rd rounder. Luchanko being available at 16 doesn't seem that unlikely based on pre-draft ranking at least.

Or maybe it all happened during that 3 minute window and there was no time for a bidding war.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kind of interesting that Blues weren't able (or willing) to outbid a 3rd rounder. Luchanko being available at 16 doesn't seem that unlikely based on pre-draft ranking at least.

Or maybe it all happened during that 3 minute window and there was no time for a bidding war.

St. Louis also had pick 16, so PHI didn't have to trade back as far and risk losing their guy. Pre-draft pundit rankings obviously don't mean much because we got Buium at 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
St. Louis also had pick 16, so PHI didn't have to trade back as far and risk losing their guy. Pre-draft pundit rankings obviously don't mean much because we got Buium at 12.

Yeah that's fair. Trading down 1 spot and knowing we want Buium is just a free asset with zero risk of backfiring.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah that's fair. Trading down 1 spot and knowing we want Buium is just a free asset with zero risk of backfiring.

Plus, from the Blues perspective, it probably would have cost them a 2nd, so maybe they were waffling a bit on whether it's worth it, and Guerin didn't waffle at all? Not sure

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So apparently, according to Brackett, they saw Philly and St. Louis talking on the draft floor.
Which means, the chances of this trade happening next year change drastically since all teams will be in their remote war rooms like in the NFL moving forward. Teams won't know who is talking to whom.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sharks fan here. We've been collectively in love with Buium for a long time. When he fell to that pick, people were elated that we had a choice between him and Dickinson. Apparently, our GM had Dickinson rated higher, so he took him.

IMO, you guys got the best D in the draft including Levshunov. Can't believe he was the last of the six to be picked, that's just insane to me. At some point, forget the measurements and trust your eyes. I think many teams from this draft will regret passing on him.
I sure didn't expect to draft him, but would've been thrilled to draft Dickinson. Different type of Dman, but he seems to have almost no flaws. His tool are already good enough for the NHL, and will only get better. Some criticize his lack of offense, but then I look at his point totals, and the way he almost willed his team to a victory in the Memorial Cup, and have to wonder what people are talking about.

Buium seems to have a really high hockey IQ, skills, and offensive imagination, but doesn't have the athletic gifts that Dickinson does. It's really nice to have bigger, stronger, faster in your toolbag to start with.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Plus, from the Blues perspective, it probably would have cost them a 2nd, so maybe they were waffling a bit on whether it's worth it, and Guerin didn't waffle at all? Not sure
I think it's easy to forget that this all has to be done in real time, in a crowded, huge room while trying to keep your voice down and lips hidden so competitors won't discern and try to derail what you are trying to do. I can definitely see PHI preferring a 3rd+ 13 to a 2nd+16, as it took the guesswork out of things from PHI's perspective.

FWIW, I think Luchanko is highly regarded. Maybe not a 1st line material, but has the potential to be a 2C. Fast, smart, very good two way player with good playmaking ability. Same size as Helenius, with a similar skillset.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I sure didn't expect to draft him, but would've been thrilled to draft Dickinson. Different type of Dman, but he seems to have almost no flaws. His tool are already good enough for the NHL, and will only get better. Some criticize his lack of offense, but then I look at his point totals, and the way he almost willed his team to a victory in the Memorial Cup, and have to wonder what people are talking about.

Buium seems to have a really high hockey IQ, skills, and offensive imagination, but doesn't have the athletic gifts that Dickinson does. It's really nice to have bigger, stronger, faster in your toolbag to start with.
I'm thrilled to have gotten Dickinson. I thought we had no chance of getting him short of trading a haul to get somewhere around pick 6-8. He'll be a different kind of defenseman than Buium, but it's hard for me to envision him not being comfortably in a team's second pairing at worst. I could see him being an all-situations kind of defenseman.

I just think Buium is that special kind of power play defenseman that doesn't come along that often and his defensive ability is being undersold.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad