Prospect Info: #129 Arseny Gritsyuk RW

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

IMG_3950.jpeg

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
i expect him to sign and come over as soon as the khl season ends so maybe we can be lucky and get him on the roster by the playoffs if we make the playoffs
I'd rather get him on a full year of ELC in 25-26 tbh. I think his ELC would only be 1 year

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Signed a new contract with SKA... for this season. it's just his salary is 12M rubles instead of 60M. SKA needed this cap space to sign Kuznetsov. Not sure why did Gritsyuk do it. His agent says something about "he should think about future". It looks like Gritsyuk is leaving SKA after this season for sure. Maybe he did it to get better chances to win Gagarin Cup, who knows.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Signed a new contract with SKA... for this season. it's just his salary is 12M rubles instead of 60M. SKA needed this cap space to sign Kuznetsov. Not sure why did Gritsyuk do it. His agent says something about "he should think about future". It looks like Gritsyuk is leaving SKA after this season for sure. Maybe he did it to get better chances to win Gagarin Cup, who knows.
It's pretty much guaranteed he is coming here now like Fitzgerald said a year ago. I'm thinking the Devils are promising him NHL action when he arrives after his KHL season ends.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

If he's taking that big of a cut you'd have to think it's about winning the Gagarin Cup because he might as well have just tried to get out of the deal and come over now instead

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's pretty much guaranteed he is coming here now like Fitzgerald said a year ago. I'm thinking the Devils are promising him NHL action when he arrives after his KHL season ends.

With the KHL lengthening their season there's probably a decent shot we're done before they're done or they'd have to be throwing him right into the fire with no adjustment period and probably won't want to do that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
With the KHL lengthening their season there's probably a decent shot we're done before they're done or they'd have to be throwing him right into the fire with no adjustment period and probably won't want to do that.
I think the adjustment is more important for a defenseman than a forward, so I think the Devils likely would insert him immediately, if possible. Seems like the seasons won’t line up to make that possible now.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think the adjustment is more important for a defenseman than a forward, so I think the Devils likely would insert him immediately, if possible. Seems like the seasons won’t line up to make that possible now.

If it was at the end of the regular season I'd agree but I feel like you'd probably figure SKA is going at least 2 rounds. That'd mean he'd be coming over right around the start of round 1. I just don't see them throwing him right in. I do agree it wouldn't be exactly the same situation as Luke but I do think it'd get treated pretty similarly where he doesn't play in round 1 but could come draw in round 2 after having some more practice time and we drop some games. If they go 3 or 4 rounds though our season might just be over

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I always though the opposite. In my mind going to smaller ice with less room to figure out passing/skating lanes benefited d-man more and was harder for offensive players to overcome. But I thought that when I though they all played olympic size ice, which someone said is not the case anymore? So I don't know.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I always though the opposite. In my mind going to smaller ice with less room to figure out passing/skating lanes benefited d-man more and was harder for offensive players to overcome. But I thought that when I though they all played olympic size ice, which someone said is not the case anymore? So I don't know.
KHL ice is mostly(maybe all?) NHL size, I believe.

The problem for defenseman is that their defending angles all change when rink size change and defender errors are more serious than defenseman errors.

Also, systems and interaction with partner are more important for a defenseman.

A forward can screw things up all game and not have anything seriously bad happen, then they score 1 goal and they end up being helpful. It’s harder for a defenseman to screw up all game and not have something seriously bad happen and harder for them to have an offensive play that makes their day.

So generally it’s harder to add a defenseman last minute than a forward for the reasons above, imo. I believe teams actually find that to be true even with NHL players acquired at the deadline, easier for forwards to integrate into the new team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I think the carrot will be registering the contract for the current season which would result in Gritsyuk being RFA in the offseason. And then he could make some guaranteed money for 2025-26.

As others said, the KHL/NHL playoff overlap will be longer with their schedule change. Might be tough to ask the coach to insert an unproven guy into playoff action; Albeit some NCAA guys have done it like Luke, Cale Makar, Charlie McAvoy, Chris Kreider.

But I'd think Gritsyuk's situation would be similar to when Nikita Gusev signed with Vegas when they had already started their opening round series against San Jose in 2018. Gusev had a couple practices with Vegas, but I don't think they considered throwing him into the deep end. Maybe he would have been a consideration if they had advanced further. In Gritsyuk's case, I don't know if he'd displace somebody like Tatar for the playoffs but he could easily inherit that spot for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00