Prospect Info: 122nd Overall 2024 Draft, LHD Aron Kiviharju

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I like it. We went great with Buium.
We went safe with Soini.
Adn we went for home run with Kiviharju

And we have depth bottom pairing in Hunt/Lambos.
It's a nice mix of everything

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
We didn’t learn our lesson with midget defenders obviously.
All Wild 4th round picks in franchise history that have played at least one game in the NHL:

2017 Mason Shaw
2016 Brandon Duhaime
2014 Kaapo Kähkönen
2009 Kris Foucault
2007 Justin Falk
2004 Ryan Jones
2004 Patrick Bordeleau
2001 Tony Virta

Reactions: BagHead

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kivi, Lambos, Peart, Hunt & ROR — surely one of these borderline LHDs will turn into a player, right?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Kivi, Lambos, Peart, Hunt & ROR — surely one of these borderline LHDs will turn into a player, right?
Define player, haha. D man 5-7? Probably. Top 4, haven't seen anything from those guys yet to make me believe.

I think Hunt will play on a bottom pairing for sure. Peart has a chance. Lambos and ROR haven't shown much thus far, so I am doubtful. Kivi is far away.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Define player, haha. D man 5-7? Probably. Top 4, haven't seen anything from those guys yet to make me believe.

I think Hunt will play on a bottom pairing for sure. Peart has a chance. Lambos and ROR haven't shown much thus far, so I am doubtful. Kivi is far away.
Kiviharju can easily have a breakout season in Liiga in 24-25, he has 2 year experience by now

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Kiviharju can easily have a breakout season in Liiga in 24-25, he has 2 year experience by now
I hope he does. It would still be hard for me to put him up high until he does something in NA that would make him jump beyond a few D. Buium and Brodin will make it hard for his skillset to be a near term solution, assuming he makes it at all.

If he turns out to be a Spurgeon and outplays everyone early on, I'll love it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I hope he does. It would still be hard for me to put him up high until he does something in NA that would make him jump beyond a few D. Buium and Brodin will make it hard for his skillset to be a near term solution, assuming he makes it at all.

Almost zero chance he doesn't spend AT LEAST 2-3 years in Europe before he comes over...then another 1 or 2 in the AHL before he gets a sniff.

But he sounds like someone who is a low risk, high reward type of prospect

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Spurgeon 2.0 is the last thing this team needs. I’d get rid of Spurgeon 1.0 if I could. Maybe he will turn out to be what everyone hoped Addison would be (3rd pair PP QB). Doesn’t really seem likely with Buium in the mix.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Spurgeon 2.0 is the last thing this team needs. I’d get rid of Spurgeon 1.0 if I could. Maybe he will turn out to be what everyone hoped Addison would be (3rd pair PP QB). Doesn’t really seem likely with Buium in the mix.

If at any point it looks like Kiviharju will make it as a player but we don't have a roster spot for him, we could flip him for more than a 4th. It's a great pick because there's a ton of upside and virtually no downside. Maybe with hindsight in 5 years we can look back and say we should have taken someone else, but as of now, it's a no brainer pick.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think I look at it as AKL said - if a 4th rounder actually makes it, its either a) someone contributing to your team, or b) an asset that can be used to obtain someone else to contribute to your team. Either way, that is better than never doing anything for the team.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I got my fingers crossed for a #4 puckmoving defenseman - so kinda like how Spurgeon is utilized now. But he's a 4th rounder and more chances of not making it than making it. That said, we got enough safe prospects who top out as #6 guys (Hunt was our best D prospect and he's never going to be more than a "poor man Nick Schultz" so why not gamble on the guy who was considered a top 10 talent to start the season at #122

And by the time he makes it to the pros, Spurgeon will be on his way out so its good timing if all goes well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's a 4th rounder, so whatever.

I'm not upset about the player. It's the choice of picking yet another LD that annoys me. They had already spent a 1st and a (future) 3rd on LD in the draft.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
5'10" defenders that were regulars on the last 10 Stanley Cup Winners.

Panthers: N/A
Golden Knights: N/A
Avalanche: Girard
Lightning: N/A
Blues: N/A
Capitals: N/A
Penguins: N/A
Blackhawks: Timonen (0pts, 8:39 TOI in the playoffs)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
5'10" defenders that were regulars on the last 10 Stanley Cup Winners.

Panthers: N/A
Golden Knights: N/A
Avalanche: Girard
Blues: N/A
Capitals: N/A
Blackhawks: Timonen (0pts, 8:39 TOI in the playoffs)
How many 5'10" defenders are in the league at a given time?

Edit: I answered my own question. 3 saw notable time, would've been 4 if Spurgeon would've been healthy.

Basically, there's just a league shortage of them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2