GDT: 12-27 - Penguins@Canes: Bah, Humbug

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I like how Neal, Kunitz, and Crosby put their head down and shoot the damn puck when they're in decent scoring positions, no hesitation. I don't like how E Staal, Ruutu, Semin, Skinner, etc., are always hesitating. Delay, delay, delay. It's maddening.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
8-30 overtime/shootout record in the past 3 seasons?

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
About the time it seems like it becomes a "**** it, put SOMETHING on net", which is EXACTLY what that was from where I was sitting. Had Connor on his backhand and driving wide with Peters absolutely square to the play, and had prevented ANYTHING on the forehand. And Murphy had his stick tight enough that anything Connor got off would have to be a soft ass shot. I mean Murphy had him in a position where that's a routine save for an NCAA Div III goalie, yet alone an NHLer. And Peters choked on it, he went full Buckner.

That's what I'm worried about

Lets be honest and look beyond the stats, Peters is at best a backup NHL goalie. Even during this hot streak, he was giving up soft rebounds like candy. He didn't let in soft goals though so you lived with it and we were actually had moderate success with him.

But no one would ride with Peters if Ward was playing like he's capable or was.. or if Khudobin was healthly. It wasn't going to be sustainable.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Can we talk about Jordan Staal auditioning for Team Canada, albeit late, with his play recently? I haven't seen the big guy more motivated in his tenure here. If he could bring this kind of heat on a regular basis he could be mistaken for a prime offensive option. He looks a lot like Eric when he's going, only tougher to push off the puck and less indiscriminate with his shooting.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Too many good players for Canada. Even playing the shutdown defensive role, guys like Toews and Bergeron will be taken ahead of him.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Can we talk about Jordan Staal auditioning for Team Canada, albeit late, with his play recently? I haven't seen the big guy more motivated in his tenure here. If he could bring this kind of heat on a regular basis he could be mistaken for a prime offensive option. He looks a lot like Eric when he's going, only tougher to push off the puck and less indiscriminate with his shooting.

His puck control and ability to just stretch himself around defenders is incredible to me. I think he could definitely put up 60pts if he plays how he has recently and has good linemates. It would be cool to see him on team Canada but I don't think he will be in 2014.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh

I have no quarrel with his play over the last ten games or so. Of all the big-money players on the roster, he at least is performing.

He's turned into a puck-possession machine and I actually sense...I know this seems strange for a Cane...but it seems like he's exerting his will on the opposition or something. :sarcasm:

It's a beautiful thing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
His ability to flip a switch has been evident here, but it has been rarely on a sustained level. Eric has good games where Jordan usually has good shifts. I don't know what it is recently, but Jordan has put together some good games. I know that the analytic stuff says that Jordan has been elite all season, but in terms of actually being a visual impact in an obvious way this is the best I have seen him play here. He's skating a lot harder and taking much more direct paths to the net than usual. Fighting for tough ice and not coasting in the offensive zone. His defense has been unquestionably good throughout his time here but he has left many wanting with his offensive effort. This isn't a results based assessment either, because I think he could have easily had more points in the past few games. He's just working well with his linemates right now.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
My first home game of the year was pretty much the same as the away ones I've been to... Surrounded by opposing fans. Thanks Dave for rescuing me after the first intermission.

Also my first time listening to the Aftermath this season. Good to see that hasn't changed. Bizarre callers and overly defensive responses from Maniscalco to anything negative. Dude always loves to blow peoples' comments way out of proportion ("listen this team isn't going to win four Stanley Cups in a row and be a dynasty", "hey, this team isn't going out and hiring Scotty Bowman")

As Jim Mora might say: "Dynasty?! I just hope we can win a game."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I only saw the 3rd period, but Murphy was terrible in my limited viewing. He played the 2nd goal correctly, but the game-tying and game winner, he was struggling.

Add to that his hesistency in the offensive zone (at least twice, in the third period alone, he had a lane, hesitated...then shot into the now closed lane) and it wasn't a good showing for him.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I only saw the 3rd period, but Murphy was terrible in my limited viewing. He played the 2nd goal correctly, but the game-tying and game winner, he was struggling.

The only game tying goal was Chris Conners' goal, which was the Pens 2nd goal of the night.

As others have said, he only allowed the Pens forward to make a weak strength, bad angle shot which squeaks through because Peters can't close his 5-hole.

As to the game....I'd say that he looked like he was struggling a bit defensively. Not enough for us to be concerned about (he's only 20 years old), but still. He also got thrown into a top-4 spot so Muller could shelter Gleason and Komisarek, but whatevs.

Offensively? Still the best on the ice. Compare it to Sekera, our other "puck mover". Sekera looks like he's going to turn it over at any moment while fighting for every inch. Murphy makes everyone look like pylons while he's taking a walk in the park.

And those are our two puck movers. :cry:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
My first home game of the year was pretty much the same as the away ones I've been to... Surrounded by opposing fans. Thanks Dave for rescuing me after the first intermission.

Also my first time listening to the Aftermath this season. Good to see that hasn't changed. Bizarre callers and overly defensive responses from Maniscalco to anything negative. Dude always loves to blow peoples' comments way out of proportion ("listen this team isn't going to win four Stanley Cups in a row and be a dynasty", "hey, this team isn't going out and hiring Scotty Bowman")

As Jim Mora might say: "Dynasty?! I just hope we can win a game."

Was actually tempted to call in last night for the hell of it. 1 - to rail on him for the criticism of Murphy on the Connors goal, and 2 - to bring up "is it time to go ahead and clean house in Charlotte?"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nah, haven't you heard? Jordan Staal has phoned it in, according to some radio hosts and non-Canes fans

What we need is for AJJ to use advanced stats (and his interpretation of them) and created a "Jordan Staal's Outstanding Season" thread on the main board. :laugh:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
"patrice bergeron-adjusted stats"

1. jordan staal's corsi is ridiculous
2. patrice bergeron's corsi is ridiculous, but it's a lot better when he's on the ice with chara
3. if jordan staal had zdeno chara on his team his corsi would be off-the-charts absurd. every second of every single shift would be spent in the offensive zone.
4. therefore, jordan staal is the best player in hockey

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
The only game tying goal was Chris Conners' goal, which was the Pens 2nd goal of the night.

As others have said, he only allowed the Pens forward to make a weak strength, bad angle shot which squeaks through because Peters can't close his 5-hole.

I haven't seen a replay, but the game tying goal it looked liked Murphy made a good recovery but initially started backing up in the early stages of the play like it was a 2 on 1 and he was taking away the pass, when it was quite apparent it wasn't a 2-1, looked like he should have been able to play the man and take him wide of the net.
Regardless, Peters should have had it.

I thought Cam should have had this start after Monday's collapse, the JP magic carpet ride is just about over. If Cam does not get back to form, this team won't even get a sniff of being close the playoffs.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Forslund/Maniscalco reasoned it out pretty well on the Aftermath. If Cam got the start against a tough Penguins team and sucked, you're still dealing with a confidence issue and a goaltender "controversy". Not to say they knew Peters would bomb, but now that he basically did, they can play Cam for awhile without issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad