GDT: 12/23: Sabres @ Red Wings, 7:30PM EST

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

December 23, 2013 - Never Forget.

SABRES (13-18-3) at RED WINGS (17-8-9)

TV: MSG-B, BELL TV, FS-D

Season series: Zemgus Girgensons scored in the third round of a shootout and Michal Neuvirth stopped Henrik Zetterberg to seal a 3-2 win for the Buffalo Sabres against the Detroit Red Wings on Nov. 2 in Buffalo. The Red Wings had won seven straight against the Sabres; Buffalo's previous victory against Detroit was a 6-2 win Oct. 13, 2009.

Sabres team scope: The Sabres canceled practice in Detroit on Monday, mostly because coach Ted Nolan wants to make sure a flu bug that already has affected forwards Patrick Kaleta and Matt Moulson doesn't spread any further. Their status for Tuesday is unknown, as is the status of captain Brian Gionta. Gionta sustained a hard hit from the Boston Bruins' Matt Bartkowski at 14:08 of the first period and did not return to the game because of an upper-body injury. In addition, Marcus Foligno sustained an upper-body injury fighting Bartkowski after the hit on Gionta and did not return to the game. If the Sabres decide to recall a forward from Rochester of the American Hockey League, it might not be in time for the morning skate Tuesday.

Red Wings team scope: Goaltender Jimmy Howard practiced Monday, but his status for Tuesday remains unknown. Howard injured his groin in the first period of a 2-1 loss to the New York Islanders on Friday and left about halfway through practice Monday, according to MLive.com. "I was surprised [Howard] was out there on his own, then I was surprised he was in the net," coach Mike Babcock said Monday, according to MLive.com. "I gave him the boot out of the one net to say are you starting tomorrow. I don't know if he is. We'll know tomorrow morning." Petr Mrazek will start if Howard can't, but Howard told MLive he's feeling positive he'll be able to go. "There's a chance, but I don't know. I'll probably have to talk a little bit more to [the training staff] to see what's best for myself and for the team. It's responded every single day with treatments. It felt good out there on the ice today, so hopefully tomorrow, another good work day, and you never know."

Not even going to bother posting a lineup given all of the recent injuries and illnesses.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Bartkowski took out Gionta and then broke Foligno's hands with his face. Well done!

I'm guessing neither Gionta or Foligno are seriously hurt though, given that no call up has been made yet.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Detroit is a far superior team, but they seem to have hiccups against bad teams. I could see us stealing a loser point.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I read from a finnish web site that Armia is making his debut against Detroit, is this true or not?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

Ye olden times of running a goalie

I'm pretty sure I remember watching that game...If I remember correctly we lost in OT, or it was a heartbreaking lost...It was a tough one to swallow....

I noticed this was on youtube as well....Probert vs Maguire....Rnd.2...heck of a fight with a ton of punches landed...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
With all the kids in the line up its hard for me to justify the tank because I want them all to do good.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Armia, Pysyk, Larsson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Zadorov, Ristolainen... Christmas is coming early. Plenty of reasons to watch this game. I'm so excited about the future of this team, I can't wait. Where's the sim-button so I can just skip through to the next year?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BNHarrington

Before #Sabres skate, we know these guys are out: Gionta, Foligno, Myers, Moulson, Strachan, McCormick, Mitchell. Weber-Kaleta TBA. Yikes.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres - #Sabres morning skate at the Joe. Armia, Kaleta, McCormick and Weber among those on the ice. #BUFvsDET

@BNHarrington - Armia lovers will love this - He's on a line with Girgensons and Ennis. #Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

Armia-Girgensons-Ennis
Deslauriers-Flynn-Stafford
Hodgson-Grigorenko-Stewart
Larsson-Schaller-Kaleta

McCormick not in rushes. #BUFvsDET -CR

Weber, Benoit and Meszaros rotating on D at one end. Gorges, Pysyk, Zadorov and Ristolainen rotating at the other. #BUFvsDET -CR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad