Prospect Info: #105 , Anton Johansson 2022 Draft

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Sorry, I was just commenting on Big Rig's skating. I don't remember him seeing the world on fire with his mobility especially with his hip issues. I appreciated what he brought to the team, though. He played his role well.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Eriksson was a legit NHLer. His biggest problem was playing as a 2/3 guy when he was way better as a bottom pair guy.
Like many players, Ericsson had a peak where he was better than how his career is often described in general. He was a legit 2nd-pair type for a minute there, I daresay for a couple seasons. But like you touch on, he is remembered far more for the time he was over-deployed and struggled than he is for the time he was at his peak.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Sorry, I was just commenting on Big Rig's skating. I don't remember him seeing the world on fire with his mobility especially with his hip issues. I appreciated what he brought to the team, though. He played his role well.
3bf5c17f-3787-4b21-a15d-aa95f3510a2c_text.gif

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Jeez, he played 700 NHL games, was forced to play beyond his capabilities in Detroit and represented a top 5 country in several international tournaments. For the record he won bronze in the 2010 WCs and silver in the 2014 Olympics.

I'm guessing he p****d in your Cheerios with how upset you are about his career, it must have been pretty traumatic.
lol u seemed to be the one getting heated.

I just dont like the revision of his playing career. He was a glorified practice cone.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
lol u seemed to be the one getting heated.

I just dont like the revision of his playing career. He was a glorified practice cone.
By the end of his career, yes. Not at his peak though.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
His biggest problem was hip injuries later in the career, so everybody remembers only the bad things and bad era as a whipping boy.

He was a black Ace at 2008 playoffs.
He was unlucky with injuries but at a certain put that's what your career becomes. We dont live in a hypothetical of what could have been.

By the end of his career, yes. Not at his peak though.
He was very good in 2009 playoff run, but outside of that run he was very leaky and seemed to have a low panic threshold.

And for a big guy was never as good at clearing out the front of the net as he should have been.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was unlucky with injuries but at a certain put that's what your career becomes. We dont live in a hypothetical of what could have been.

He was very good in 2009 playoff run, but outside of that run he was very leaky and seemed to have a low panic threshold.

And for a big guy was never as good at clearing out the front of the net as he should have been.

He was good until 2013.

But that Sochi Olympic Season, started to show some bad signals. Wasn't his old shelf.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

You're selling him short in terms of how good he was at one point, and for how long. He absolutely had his deficiencies, yes, but before his hips exploded, he was clearly more mobile, and those deficiencies didn't show much more than any other bottom-4 defenseman. That panic threshold was brutal, but again only in the back half of his career. His loss of mobility was an absolute game-changer for him because, as has been said, the mobility was only average-ish to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad