Pre-Game Talk: 10/8 GAME 1 (Approximately 7:15 PM) - Season 101 Begins - ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Way to screw both your goalie that hasn't played against NHLers yet and F over your backups confidence.

Monty's on thin ice, unless this is being pushed on him.
This is taking it at face value. Behind closed doors, I'm sure he's already spoken with both goalies about who is starting. Could just be playing head games with Florida, keeping them on their toes about who they're going to face.

Swayman missed the whole preseason and was practicing with BU, I'm not sure starting him is a good idea but, when do you start him? The season has to begin somewhere for him. Maybe against a weaker Montreal team would be better?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, October 7, the team’s opening day roster for the 2024-25 season.

Forwards: Johnny Beecher, Justin Brazeau, Charlie Coyle, Trent Frederic, Morgan Geekie, Max Jones, Mark Kastelic, Cole Koepke, Elias Lindholm, Brad Marchand, David Pastrnak, Riley Tufte, Pavel Zacha

Defensemen: Brandon Carlo, Hampus Lindholm, Mason Lohrei, Charlie McAvoy, Andrew Peeke, Parker Wotherspoon, Nikita Zadorov

Goaltenders: Joonas Korpisalo, Jeremy Swayman

The team has also designated forward Matt Poitras and defensemen Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula as Injured Non-Roster.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, October 7, the team’s opening day roster for the 2024-25 season.

Forwards: Johnny Beecher, Justin Brazeau, Charlie Coyle, Trent Frederic, Morgan Geekie, Max Jones, Mark Kastelic, Cole Koepke, Elias Lindholm, Brad Marchand, David Pastrnak, Riley Tufte, Pavel Zacha

Defensemen: Brandon Carlo, Hampus Lindholm, Mason Lohrei, Charlie McAvoy, Andrew Peeke, Parker Wotherspoon, Nikita Zadorov

The team has also designated forward Matt Poitras and defensemen Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula as Injured Non-Roster.

Well that clears up some questions and they squeak under the cap with that lineup.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Yikes who is the 2nd RW here? Geekie? 3C? Seems like 5-6 4th liners.

Reactions: Zillah

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Also I’ve actually for once been distracted by my Vikings and Mets later than normal so I haven’t really been following but how did tufte and koepke make it over Lysell and Merkulov? Were they that bad? Merk not an option at 3c for a little?

Reactions: GloveSave1

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Also I’ve actually for once been distracted by my Vikings and Mets later than normal so I haven’t really been following but how did tufte and koepke make it over Lysell and Merkulov? Were they that bad? Merk not an option at 3c for a little?

Merkulov had a very poor pre-season, unfortunately. Generated very little offensively, compounded that by making a few glaring errors. Lysell showed off his skating, obvious he's a talented athlete, but still looked very under-done in terms of his ability to translate that into being an effective and productive part of a line. Needs more time in Providence rounding out as a player, does that well and perhaps he gets a call up at some point. Some glimpses amongst the rest of the home-grown young forwards, but nothing solid.

Whereas Koepke looked much more complete and NHL-ready. Reads the play well, responsible, nothing flash, but the sort of guy Sweeney likes to have around in the bottom 6. Really not sure what Tufte is doing there though, unless it's somehow cap-related. Big, that's about it. Perhaps someone else can say what I'm missing there??

Geekie is 2RW by default. Above his ability, but there is no-one else in the short-term. The question is going to be where they slot in Poitras once he's healthy. Suspect he's going to at least get a look at that wing spot at some point. Doesn't feel like the right solution to that either though. Reality is it's just going to have to be managed until they can trade for a better option down the track.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Merkulov had a very poor pre-season, unfortunately. Generated very little offensively, compounded that by making a few glaring errors. Lysell showed off his skating, obvious he's a talented athlete, but still looked very under-done in terms of his ability to translate that into being an effective and productive part of a line. Needs more time in Providence rounding out as a player, does that well and perhaps he gets a call up at some point. Some glimpses amongst the rest of the home-grown young forwards, but nothing solid.

Whereas Koepke looked much more complete and NHL-ready. Reads the play well, responsible, nothing flash, but the sort of guy Sweeney likes to have around in the bottom 6. Really not sure what Tufte is doing there though, unless it's somehow cap-related. Big, that's about it. Perhaps someone else can say what I'm missing there??

Geekie is 2RW by default. Above his ability, but there is no-one else in the short-term. The question is going to be where they slot in Poitras once he's healthy. Suspect he's going to at least get a look at that wing spot at some point. Doesn't feel like the right solution to that either though. Reality is it's just going to have to be managed until they can trade for a better option down the track.
Awesome thanks for the run down

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Yikes who is the 2nd RW here? Geekie? 3C? Seems like 5-6 4th liners.
Top 6 definitely wasn't adequately addressed this off season. One in, one out with Lindholm and DeBrusk. Hopefully Lindholm is enough of an upgrade that it gives a slight boost. The bright side is we're in an OK position with the cap so we can hopefully bring in a quality top 6 wingers at the deadline. The current group should be good enough for the regular season.

This roster reminds me a bit of 2018-19, where we had a lot of good pieces in place with a couple holes, 3C being the biggest that year, that we can hopefully address at the deadline.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Latest posts

Ad

Ad