GDT: (10/17/2022)- Game 4 - New York Rangers vs Anaheim Ducks - 7pm EST, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It’s a really strong combination. Those two haven’t had a winger who can skate/carry like Kakko is now.

This was with Kreider basically being bull shit all game.

I'd like Laf with them, VK to slide into the RW on Panarin's line to see if he can hack it at this level and CK with Chytil.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Rangers playing to their opponents. Still a little too loosey goosy. There's plenty of time to fix it. A lot of loose teams this month...not including Colorado or the Islanders.
You sound like that millionaire matchmaker patti Stanger

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So this happened tonight
Screenshot_20221017-232205_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221017-232210_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221017-232216_Gallery.jpg

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I know I'm Captain no fun right now, but out of the four games that this team is played I'm not overly excited about any of them except for the Tampa Bay game. Even that one leave some questions simply because Tampa doesn't really look right to start the year. The Wild are a defensive disaster right now, The Jets are not a good team, and the ducks are probably going to be in the lottery. Three and one start is great, of corsi numbers and stuff against bad teams are usually going to look great. I'm optimistic, but I'm really waiting to see what they do against some of the actual good teams in the league. Can they play complete games and the effective 5v5?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I'm Captain no fun right now, but out of the four games that this team is played I'm not overly excited about any of them except for the Tampa Bay game. Even that one leave some questions simply because Tampa doesn't really look right to start the year. The Wild are a defensive disaster right now, The Jets are not a good team, and the ducks are probably going to be in the lottery. Three and one start is great, of corsi numbers and stuff against bad teams are usually going to look great. I'm optimistic, but I'm really waiting to see what they do against some of the actual good teams in the league. Can they play complete games and the effective 5v5?

Tampa and Minnesota didn't forget how to play hockey all of a sudden. They both had 109+ points. Also, you'd rather be miserable than enjoy the wins?

so far Kreider has been our worst player. If he decides to wake up, look out

He's also been robbed a number of times of goals. Could easily have 4 or 5 goals right now.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Tampa and Minnesota didn't forget how to play hockey all of a sudden. They both had 109+ points. Also, you'd rather be miserable than enjoy the wins?
I mean have you looked at the quotes coming out of Minnesota right now? The players are literally destroying themselves for how bad they've been defensively this season.
Beyond that the ducks were a joke defensively. The passes that were getting through tonight are not getting through the same way even a month from now. That was not NHL caliber defensive play.
I tend to look at this team with more of a critical lens because I don't really care as much about just winning games now, I want to see a team be built and prepared to win the Stanley cup. Those are two totally different things that require an evolution of the team game, just asked leaf fans about that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean if you looked at the quotes coming out of Minnesota right now? The players are literally destroying themselves for how bad they've been defensively this season.
Beyond that the ducks we're a joke defensively. The passes that were getting through tonight are not getting through the same way even a month from now. That was not NHL caliber defensive play.
I tend to look at this team with more of a critical lens because I don't really care as much about just winning games now, I want to see a team be built that can win the Stanley cup. Those are two totally different things That require an evolution of the team game, just asked her on all about that

So what exactly would have prevented you from being miserable. Would you prefer they do what every other Rangers team would have done in years past and not take advantage of poor defensive teams? Were they supposed to ask the NHL to let them play better defensive teams? If neither are better options what's the use of being miserable?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I mean if you looked at the quotes coming out of Minnesota right now? The players are literally destroying themselves for how bad they've been defensively this season.
Beyond that the ducks we're a joke defensively. The passes that were getting through tonight are not getting through the same way even a month from now. That was not NHL caliber defensive play.
I tend to look at this team with more of a critical lens because I don't really care as much about just winning games now, I want to see a team be built that can win the Stanley cup. Those are two totally different things That require an evolution of the team game, just asked her on all about that
So every team is having a loose start and things will tighten up, as it always does. But shouldn't that apply to the Rangers then too? Our game should improve as time goes on as well.

Also, I think people put way too much stock into random games over an 82 game season. Guaranteed we will look bad against some bad teams at some point, and we'll look both good and bad against good teams. It's what happens when we play 3-4 times a week in different cities non stop. So long as the good outweighs the bad, and hopefully significantly, we should be happy. So far so good.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So what exactly would have prevented you from being miserable. Would you prefer they do what every other Rangers team would have done in years past and not take advantage of poor defensive teams? Were they supposed to ask the NHL to let them play better defensive teams? If neither are better options what's the use of being miserable?
I'm not being miserable, I don't know why you're suggesting that. I'm being reserved. I'm being cautious. I'm not getting lost in the numbers from beating up on bad teams. I'm also recognizing the fact that they had to beat the duck 6 to 4 tonight And they just lost to the Jets. I'm also seeing that they're scoring a lot of their goals the same way that they did last year which dried up as a playoffs went on. That's what I'm talking about with wanting to see an evolution in the play. I'm not mad, I'm still wanting to see the growth to the type of game it's going to take to win..

So every team is having a loose start and things will tighten up, as it always does. But shouldn't that apply to the Rangers then too? Our game should improve as time goes on as well.

Also, I think people put way too much stock into random games over an 82 game season. Guaranteed we will look bad against some bad teams at some point, and we'll look both good and bad against good teams. It's what happens when we play 3-4 times a week in different cities non stop. So long as the good outweighs the bad, and hopefully significantly, we should be happy. So far so good.
No you're completely right, that's why I'm not killing the team for giving up four goals tonight. They will tighten up just like everybody else will, but the sheer skill on this roster will tend to take more of an advantage of weaker teams than others. That's a big reason why a lot of elite talents in the league tend to run up ridiculous point Total is at the start of the year, taking advantage of porous defenses and structures that just haven't fallen into place yet. This NYR roster is incredibly skilled and is built to take advantage of that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not being miserable, I don't know why you're suggesting that. I'm being reserved. I'm being cautious. I'm not getting lost in the numbers from beating up on bad teams. I'm also recognizing the fact that they had to beat the duck 6 to 4 tonight And they just lost to the Jets. I'm also seeing that they're scoring a lot of their goals the same way that they did last year which dried up as a playoffs went on. That's what I'm talking about with wanting to see an evolution in the play. I'm not mad, I'm still wanting to see the growth to the type of game it's going to take to win..

The Rangers were 28th in the league last year with 29.2 shots per game, so far (extremely early) they're second with 39.5. So it's an absurd comparison. Also, their goals dried up in the Eastern Conference Final against the two time defending Stanley Cup champions.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York

No you're completely right, that's why I'm not killing the team for giving up four goals tonight. They will tighten up just like everybody else will, but the sheer skill on this roster will tend to take more of an advantage of weaker teams than others. That's a big reason why a lot of elite talents in the league tend to run up ridiculous point Total is at the start of the year, taking advantage of porous defenses and structures that just haven't fallen into place yet. This NYR roster is incredibly skilled and is built to take advantage of that.
They did lose to the Jets on the second night of a back to back. As for tonight, it was sloppy, but I prefer sloppy in October than later in the season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Rangers were 28th in the league last year with 29.2 shots per game, so far (extremely early) they're second with 39.5. So it's an absurd comparison. Also, their goals dried up in the Eastern Conference Final against the two time defending Stanley Cup champions.
I don't know how many times I can say skill dominates structure in early season NHL, every year we see that. We SHOULD be dominating, but how is me being cautious of inflated stats against bad or struggling teams somehow wrong?

You will always have to beat a team or teams like Tampa to win a cup, always. Using it as an excuse is silly. My entire point is that to win a cup you need to evolve to win those games and series, not run up on shit teams.

I want to see this group dominate a legit contender, I guess we will get a good idea where we stand on the 25th. That's really the first test game they will have, and last year even when nyr looked great they would play the avs and look like they were miles behind them. I'm hoping things will be different now

They did lose to the Jets on the second night of a back to back. As for tonight, it was sloppy, but I prefer sloppy in October than later in the season.
Back 2 back isn't an excuse anymore, nor is 3 in 4. They are norms in this league now and everyone is prepared for it. This isn't the 90s.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know how many times I can say skill dominates structure in early season NHL, every year we see that. We SHOULD be dominating, but how is me being cautious of inflated stats against bad or struggling teams somehow wrong?

You will always have to beat a team or teams like Tampa to win a cup, always. Using it as an excuse is silly. My entire point is that to win a cup you need to evolve to win those games and series, not run up on shit teams.

I want to see this group dominate a legit contender, I guess we will get a good idea where we stand on the 25th. That's really the first test game they will have, and last year even when nyr looked great they would play the avs and look like they were miles behind them. I'm hoping things will be different now

1) The Rangers weren't scoring shit early on last year despite their skill.

2) The problem wasn't how the Rangers scored goals last year, the problem was that they lived in their own zone last year against Tampa in the last 4 games. So far (and again early) they have been in the other zone far more than their own. Now, you can make the argument that the Rangers post-lockout were a better possession team, but that doesn't say anything about this team so can't make that extrapolation.

Back 2 back isn't an excuse anymore, nor is 3 in 4. They are norms in this league now and everyone is prepared for it. This isn't the 90s.

Does the data bear this out or are you making shit up?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
1) The Rangers weren't scoring shit early on last year despite their skill.

2) The problem wasn't how the Rangers scored goals last year, the problem was that they lived in their own zone last year against Tampa in the last 4 games. So far (and again early) they have been in the other zone far more than their own. Now, you can make the argument that the Rangers post-lockout were a better possession team, but that doesn't say anything about this team so can't make that extrapolation.

Does the data bear this out or are you making shit up?
I said skill SHOULD dominate, not that it did last year. Offense struggled until zib went to the left circle on the pp. Once the pp clicked their goals for jumped and they feasted off their pp.

I'm not arguing that their 5v5 play this year hasn't been better so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. I said I'm being guarded by the number right now bc they have played bad teams or teams that are struggling badly out of the gate.

As for b2b and 3in4 why are you arguing this. Teams, players, coaches, everyone has said it's a norm and all you have to do is look at compressed schedules of the last few years. It is a norm. Hell they were doing back to back and 3in4 in the playoffs which they NEVER use to do. At this point you're just arguing to argue.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW,
I said skill SHOULD dominate, not that it did last year. Offense struggled until zib went to the left circle on the pp. Once the pp clicked their goals for jumped and they feasted off their pp.

I'm not arguing that their 5v5 play this year hasn't been better so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. I said I'm being guarded by the number right now bc they have played bad teams or teams that are struggling badly out of the gate.

As for b2b and 3in4 why are you arguing this. Teams, players, coaches, everyone has said it's a norm and all you have to do is look at compressed schedules of the last few years. It is a norm. Hell they were doing back to back and 3in4 in the playoffs which they NEVER use to do. At this point you're just arguing to argue.

You're the only person I ever heard of say that 3 in 4 nights with travel doesn't make a difference. And besides that, the Rangers outplayed the Jets and ran into a hot goalie and had their backup in the net. Losses to teams you're better than happen even if you want to magically discount 3 games in 4 nights with travel.

The Penguins just lost to Montreal and Toronto just lost to Arizona after losing to Montreal.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I guess the Yankees weren't playing tonight. 53 pages is more like it.

Let's Go Rangers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad