GDT: 10/13/16 7 PM - Game 1 - BRUINS at Columbus OPENING NIGHT - NESN, WBZ-FM 98.5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
nationwide.jpg

cut.jpg

TONIGHT'S OFFICIALS

Referees - Garrett Rank (7), Gord Dwyer (19)
Linesmen - Ryan Daisy (81), Brian Murphy (93)

National Anthem - Leo Welsh

Projected Lineup

Ryan Spooner - David Krejci - Danton Heinen

Brad Marchand - David Backes - David Pastrnak

Matt Beleskey - Austin Czarnik - Jimmy Hayes

Dominic Moore - Riley Nash - Noel Acciari/Tim Schaller

Zdeno Chara - Brandon Carlo

Torey Krug - Rob O'Gara

John-Michael Liles - Colin Miller

Joe Morrow

Tuukka Rask

Anton Khudobin

What to Watch For

If you are just beginning to turn your attention to the Black & Gold, make sure you have a roster handy for the season opener, as there are a few new names that you should be keeping an eye on.

Defensemen Brandon Carlo and Rob O'Gara and forwards Danton Heinen and Austin Czarnik are expected to make their NHL debuts. All four were impressive during training camp and made quite the impact on the Bruins brass.

"The youth stood out, it popped for me," CEO of Delaware North's Boston Holdings Charlie Jacobs said during Bruins Media Day earlier this week. "The kids that was a pleasant surprise. I think, among the entire management team, everybody in the group was hoping, but wasn't certain, about what was going to arrive here.

"It was a pleasant surprise to see so many good, young, talented players come in and step up."

On the other hand, several Bruins mainstays will miss the opener due to injury. Patrice Bergeron (lower-body) and Adam McQuaid (upper-body) are considered day-to-day and did not travel to Columbus.

Defenseman Kevan Miller will be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing surgery Tuesday to repair a fracture in his left hand.

Opposing View

The Blue Jackets will have their own youth to show off in the opener with highly touted defensemen Zach Werenski making his NHL debut. The 19-year-old was drafted eighth overall in 2015 and has been skating alongside another young standout in Seth Jones.

Columbus also boasts a strong top six up front. Boone Jenner, Brandon Dubinsky, and Cam Atkinson form the Blue Jackets top trio, with Brandon Saad, Sam Gagner, and Nick Foligno rounding out the second line.

Atkinson and Saad led the Blue Jackets with 53 points apiece last season. Saad scored a team-high 31 goals.

Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to start between the pipes. The 2013 Vezina Trophy winner posted a 2.75 goals against average and .908 save percentage last season.

Wait, There's More

David Backes (six assists in three preseason games) will be making his Bruins debut. He had been skating on the right wing alongside Ryan Spooner and David Krejci for much of training camp, but has slid up to the middle between Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak with Bergeron out.

Also making their Bruins debuts tonight will be Dominic Moore and Riley Nash. The veteran forwards skated on the fourth line with Tim Schaller and Noel Acciari during practice Wednesday. Schaller could also be making his Bruins debut.​

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Backes played with Spooner in preseason as center and did well

Krejci & Marchand familiarity makes sense

Can move Heinen & Pasta around

Marchand -Krejci- Pastrnak
Spooner - Backes- Heinen

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Let's goooooo. Hockey is back baby!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
*Sticks head through the door*

*Admires the new paint*

*Notices the cookies*

Yup I'm in the right place!!! :laugh::laugh::yo::yo:

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
I'm really nervous of a huge step back for Chara this year with an already downer of a D core with no big off season changes. I really hope I'm proven wrong.

BigBadBruins63*

I'm really nervous of a huge step back for Chara this year with an already downer of a D core with no big off season changes. I really hope I'm proven wrong.

Downer of a D-core? I see hungry youth with upside on the blue line. Also players that don't treat the puck like it's a grenade. Tonight will be a treat.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
BOSTON – There are certainly more traditional, historic places to open the season than Columbus, Ohio, but Austin Czarnik thinks it’s an almost perfect place to start his NHL career.

The 23-year-old center, who is making the jump after one season at AHL Providence, started building toward the pro game at Miami (Ohio) University, where he spent four seasons before the Bruins signed him as an undrafted free agent. Czarnik will have plenty of fans in the seats at Nationwide Arena on Thursday night

“My (Miami) coaches are going to be able to make the (two-hour) trip down, and my family will be able to make the drive, because it’s only about four hours” from his hometown of Washington Township, Michigan, Czarnik said. “It’s going to be a big, exciting trip for me.”

While it appeared certain that Czarnik had won a job as the Bruins’ No. 3 center in training camp, there was some doubt about whether he’d be ready to start the season. He suffered a concussion in Saturday night’s pre-season finale against the Flyers, after taking a late, high hit that resulted in defenseman Radko Gudas being suspended for six games. Czarnik was idle until skating briefly in a red, no-contact jersey on Tuesday, and was cleared for full activity Wednesday.

“It felt good. It felt normal,” said Czarnik, who returned to his spot between veterans Matt Beleskey and Jimmy Hayes. “I took those days off, got a lot of sleep. I was in the dark a lot, so it was good to do that.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...zarnik-expects-good-turnout-for-his-nhl-debut

Last edited by a moderator:

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Let's go B's. Pumped to see the kids.

My not likely but hopeful prediction: Colin Miller makes a big impact.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
#changes

I kinda liked Czarnik in 57 or whatever he was wearing which now I can't remember. Also, I think the #6 is cursed on the Bruins but hopefully Colin makes it work! I like Heinens 43. Also I liked Carlo with a higher number as well.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Interesting first line.
Krecji probably has had so many different wingers over the years.
You would think they would try to stabilize it a little.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Number 6 is cursed.

27 will always be Muzz to me.

We're on the same page as 6. Looking at the people who wore 6 makes me sad. :laugh:. Muzz is the most memorable 27 for me as well, but it doesn't bother me Czar is wearing that.... but I feel like whatever high number he was wearing suited him. Was it 61? I said 57 before but I don't think that was it but would have liked that for him. 43 I like for Danton but looking at who donned that # is pretty depressing as well haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad