Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
About how good it’s been the last several years? I don’t believe so.
Hey hey

I was watching Wandavision and they had a stork bring her twins Billy & Tommy

It looked like the same stork that brought Swayman & Lohrei

I always thought there were multiple storks but the hockey draft stork does movies as well

@LyndonByers hope this helps

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Did anyone from the media ask Sweeney and Neely about their drafting?
I didn't listen either but that part has been fine IMO. Everyone has some misses. I would have liked someone to ask after nine years do they feel any pressure to win a Cup.

I think they are going to ice a very good and different team next year like they do every year, just hopefully with more staying power in April-June.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ahh yes wanting more than “we are going to get faster” as the one slight little improvement they mention in 40 minutes is very odd.

9 years and they’ve made it out of the 2nd round once, but let’s all be happy with the mass deflection of questions.
Surprised that other poster isn't complaining about them giving away important trade secrets like wanting to get faster....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Since 2016 without 1sts in multiple years and generally drafting the last 10 picks of the 1st they've drafted the following players who have been full timers or look to be ones:

McAvoy
Frederic
Lindgren
Swayman
Lauko
Beecher
Lohrei
Poitras

Are you honestly unhappy with that? They've filled their number 1 D and number 1 goalie through the draft with Lohrei potentially being top 4D and Poitras potentially being in the top 6...pretty incredible.
Top 4 defense (counting Carlo in '15) and franchise goalie not easy to get. The forwards could have been better, but again, for what they have used as far as picks they have done better than average IMO. I think Lysell with contribute at some point as well.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Top 4 defense (counting Carlo in '15) and franchise goalie not easy to get. The forwards could have been better, but again, for what they have used as far as picks they have done better than average IMO. I think Lysell with contribute at some point as well.
Yep...I think people still can't get over 2015 and that's why this narrative remains. If I'm going to bitch about one thing it's some of the UFA signings they've handed out

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Chiarelli had 100 percent control of hockey ops. It was in his contract when they signed him.

The only thing Neely could do was fire Chiarelli and eventually did.

Sweeney does not have the same control Chiarelli did.
Well then that truly sucks. That handcuffs DS IMO and isn't truly fair.
Sweeney (IMO) is more intelligent of the overall picture and scope of what should be, needs to be done. I wonder how many moves that Sweeney's proposed that Cam has said no to!?!
If you want to get the most of a hire you have to give them all of the leeway
needed to make and shape the team at least 98% of the vision that he sees.
I don't know if that's the case but if Cam is tripping him up, he needs to concentrate on other shit.
I remember when the Bruins signed Zac Rinaldo for IIRC a 3rd round pick and he was NOT what the doctor ordered but there was speculation that Sweeney didn't want him but Cam over-rode him.
I like, and want toughness and tenacity but Rinaldo was a one dimensional guy who pretty much only fought. Pretty useless otherwise.
OT a bit:
Pat Maroon, while slow has a big heart for winning, his team mates and will play after having back surgery. He's a winner, has played on winners and knows how to encourage the younger guys. He's a leader, a voice that IMO definitely helped Brad immensely. I'll bet Brad loved that because besides him, Sway and a few others some of those guys were going through the motions IMO.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yep...I think people still can't get over 2015 and that's why this narrative remains. If I'm going to bitch about one thing it's some of the UFA signings they've handed out
Yeah like you I am a Vikings fan, and worse yet a Mets fan. I would take the past 15 years of the Bruins for them any freakin day of the week. I get the Bruins fans wanting more though, because I think they left alot of victories on the table, and while I want more it could be worse.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sweeney (IMO) is more intelligent of the overall picture and scope of what should be, needs to be done. I wonder how many moves that Sweeney's proposed that Cam has said no to!?!
I don't know if that's the case but if Cam is tripping him up, he needs to concentrate on other shit.
I remember when the Bruins signed Zac Rinaldo for IIRC a 3rd round pick and he was NOT what the doctor ordered but there was speculation that Sweeney didn't want him but Cam over-rode him.
I like, and want toughness and tenacity but Rinaldo was a one dimensional guy who pretty much only fought. Pretty useless otherwise.
OT a bit:
Pat Maroon, while slow has a big heart for winning, his team mates and will play after having back surgery. He's a winner, has played on winners and knows how to encourage the younger guys. He's a leader, a voice that IMO definitely helped Brad immensely. I'll bet Brad loved that because besides him, Sway and a few others some of those guys were going through the motions IMO.
I think Carlo gets a bit underrated leadership wise. I get the feeling from watching him interact with other players that he's a great leader.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Bruins are historical playoff underachievers. They have the worst playoff win percentage of any of the Original 6, and rank 19th overall going at .474. It's not horrible, but it puts them firmly in the pack with some pretty ordinary franchises. Add on to that the worst O6 win/loss record in the finals. It's a team that just tends to fall short when it matters most, always has been. You get teams like this is most major sporting leagues around the world, the ones that overall are very good but struggle to get over the hump in achieving ultimate success. The recent Bruins simply conform to type.

Exactly.

It's historical. Going all the way back to Eddie Shore.

Can only be explained by an ancient curse. Not Don Sweeney or Harry Sinden.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have become very wary of former Bruins joining management but in this instance I would endorse hiring Z 100%. He's an extraordinary man as well as having been an extraordinary athlete, the kind of person it would be an honor to work for.
Yes, I can see the Stevie Y in his eyes...

Reactions: BMC

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah like you I am a Vikings fan, and worse yet a Mets fan. I would take the past 15 years of the Bruins for them any freakin day of the week. I get the Bruins fans wanting more though, because I think they left alot of victories on the table, and while I want more it could be worse.
Lol couldn't be more right Lou. I think I'm a pretty optimistic Bruins fan, but it's funny how opposite I am with the Vikings.

Makes me laugh when people say "they've got a chance this year," no matter how good they are I'm always thinking I'm sure they'll find a way to break our hearts in spectacular fashion. At least the Bruins found a way to win a cup for us

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
OT a bit:
IIRC Neely intervened with Chia on a trade deadline deal with the Coyotes that would have sent big time assets for vets.

I found this and it seems to have changed when Neely became President at very least.

Charlie Jacobs made it clear that both the hockey operations and business sides of the franchise will report to Neely. That doesn't change much on the hockey ops side, where Chiarelli had already been working under Neely. Sinden was able to mix business and hockey well, and it's expected Neely will do the same.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
OT a bit:
Hockey ops is more than just player movement. It's also hiring staff and looking after the business side of the hockey operations. IMO, Sweeney has done an excellent job in reshaping the scouting department as well as some of the other staff he has brought in. Chiarelli? He hired his brother to scout the OHL and I've said a thousand times I saw him in a rink once in eight years. Bob Wetick that Sweeney hired? I see him once a week.

I'd rather that's all he looked after, as well as player movement and let someone else look after the business side.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
They haven't drafted a top 6 forward since Pasta (DeBrusk is debatable). Some interesting guys coming up from recent drafts but drafting top end forward talent has not been their strength.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

At the end of the day Kevin, how were the Ritz crackers with peanut butter and Kool-Aid? How many flavors of Kool-Aid were available?:sarcasm:

Quick recap

Charlie - My father is still alive

Cam - Nobody is getting fired

Don - I will do something

Monty - I am happy to still have a job
Monty seemed as nervous as a mouse at a cat convention, and IMO, for good reason.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
They haven't drafted a top 6 forward since Pasta (DeBrusk is debatable). Some interesting guys coming up from recent drafts but drafting top end forward talent has not been their strength.
Not many kicks at the can if we are being fair. Sure Thomas over Vaak, ABD over Freddy...Johnston over Lysell. A lot of MMQB which I do as well, but every other team can out their pick against the best guys taken in that round. ...Jake to me is not debatable. He's a top 6, lock and will be paid like one. Lysell has the potential for top 6. Freddy is a sold middle 6 guy....Beecher will be a steady player...

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS QUOTES
End of Season Media Availability
May 22, 2024
BOSTON BRUINS CEO AND ALTERNATE GOVERNOR CHARLIE JACOBS, PRESIDENT CAM NEELY, GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY AND HEAD COACH JIM MONTGOMERY…

Opening remarks…
Jacobs: “Good morning, everybody. I'd like to get ahead of a few questions that I'm usually asked at our season-ending press conference. I'll start with the Chairman. He's not here today. Still very much involved with the Boston Bruins and of course, Chairman of the National Hockey League. He sends his regards. And has empowered myself and the three gentlemen to my left to run the day-to-day operations of the Boston Bruins and the roster. I want to also mention that the three gentlemen to my left have my complete confidence, we have no expectation of personnel changes coming during this upcoming off-season. I also would very much like to thank Jack Edwards for his 19 years of being the voice of the Boston Bruins. It was bittersweet, but I very much hold high regard for Jack and what he's done on behalf of the franchise and how he's brought hockey to the fans in New England. And finally, I'd like to thank all of our associates here at the TD Garden and the Boston Bruins for their wonderful efforts in helping us celebrate the Boston Bruins’ centennial season. This was a massive undertaking involving everybody from front office and myself, all the way down to our summer interns. And I feel very proud of how we presented our brand here, not only in Boston, but I believe that we have paved the way for those franchises, those other U.S. based franchises that will be turning 100 years old, and then ones in years to come.”

Neely: “I do want to echo how great this centennial season went off as far as all the era nights. I want to thank the alumni for coming back to Boston. A lot of them traveled great distances to be here. It's exciting to see the alumni. I know our current players really enjoyed the various alumni that came through Boston this year. I certainly want to thank our fans. We have the best fans in the League and they bring it every night, so good on them. I know I did a really good job of hiding my emotions, so, I do want to say I'm a little disappointed still that we're not playing. But I'm excited about the offseason and excited about next season, I think we saw some area of growth from players that we didn't expect to this year, which is encouraging for us. So, like I said, still a little disappointed we’re not playing but excited about next year.”

Sweeney:Everybody knows I have twin boys. So I kind of look at things in twos that way, really appreciative of the organization, and everybody involved, whether it be obviously Mr. Jacobs, Cam [Neely] , Charlie [Jacobs], all throughout the year, how we went about to put on a centennial season. And I get a chance to be around the players, and how receptive they were to handle, a lot going on behind the scenes, a lot of change. And I think our players with new leadership, accepting those challenges, embrace those challenges, and carrying forward on the ice for a very productive, rewarding season. The twin side says that we’re bitterly disappointed that we did not push this to the very least to a game seven, to extend that series, to continue to challenge for what our ultimate goal is and it’s to win at the most important time of the year. We put together a team that was very very competitive, regular season, we fell short, in the playoffs in some areas that certainly this summer we need to continue to address. Again, I'm proud of the leadership. It was a bit of a passing of the torch for our players. And I'm excited for the core group of guys as they continue to move forward to carrying this franchise forward.”

Montgomery: “I would say I'm very grateful to be part of the Boston Bruins because of the three gentlemen to my right, their leadership, their vision and their commitment to excellence, which allows the communication not only with them, but the players. I think which makes being a part of the Bruins special. When I look at the season, I echo all the sentiments that they’ve made, and what excites me about the potential of next year is the growth, the experience that our captain, Brad Marchand, is going to have to grow as a captain because he made it his team. And having all summer to build relationships with his core leaders. I think he's going to only make us better, and he will continue to grow in that capacity. The many players that establish themselves as core pieces and or becoming Bruins and the potential growth that they have within their roles and their individual growth, to help the Bruins be better, and the opportunity ahead of us.”

On the lack of post-season scoring…
Sweeney: You’re right. It reared its head at an opportune time that we weren't able to finish in quality chances. And in some cases, guys that channeling to do finish in quality situations of that nature. I think at the onset of the season what I've tried to communicate with the staff was I felt that our group would score enough goals during the course of the season. I didn’t think they would be dominant offensively based on the players that had exited our franchise and were tired and moved on. But we set thresholds that we knew we needed to meet., and I thought with guys coming in and providing a secondary offense, we did a really good job during the regular season. Now that manifests itself in playoffs in our powerplay certainly in the Florida series, went to dormant at important times and moments. Yeah, and we need to fix and address that. Whether that's player personnel, systematically, these guys work hard every day to try and find nuances that may shift that. The margins are small. They just are. The final three games of the series were 3-2, 2-1, 1-2. So you know, at the end of the day, the other teams having difficulty to score, you know, as teams move through the playoffs, things tighten up, you have to find a way. We didn't get inside quite enough in rebound situations that we might be able to take advantage of. So there are some things we need to address. And I need to address from the standpoint of free agency and or internal growth, I think [Charlie] Coyle, [Pavel] Zacha, a bunch of guys were able to step forward. And they were cast as a little bit of misfits in that in that regard. We didn't see it that way. And I think they stepped forward and several other guys did too. We have to conquer that I have to be able to find some players that can come in and provide secondary scoring for us and key opportune times.”

On rookies stepping up…
Neely: “Yeah, in particular, I mean, I don't think we expected Mason Lohrei to step in and play as many games as he did. Same with Johnny Beecher, came in and stole a job at camp. We weren’t expecting him to take a job at camp so that was a big surprise for us, so those two in particular, I was thinking about.”

On addressing the speed of the team’s play…
Neely: “Well, Don [Sweeney] and I have had a lot of conversations since the season ended, we talk every day during the season and talk about how we want our team to play. Obviously, this game is fast and we're not as fast as we'd like to be. Some of that had to do with last offseason and what we were really kind of hamstrung and trying to accomplish. Our pro scouting staff did a really good job last offseason and built a team that competed the way they did. But there's areas where we still need to improve, and we're going to address that this offseason for sure. But yeah, maybe a little faster and we'd like to see a little bit more 50/50 puck battle wins. That's an area where you have to want the puck more than the other team.”

On how the team plans to utilize cap space…
Sweeney: “Yeah, we are in a situation where we can look to add to our core group of guys, and that also includes some of the younger guys, as Cam [Neely] mentioned, I think [Matt] Poitras was another one that we're going to hopefully come back as he’s healthy next year and see what he's capable of doing. Moving forward he has to come back in and earn his spot like all of our young players and incoming returning players and how much they can push the group internally. But we’re going to be aggressive to be able to complement what we currently have in some areas. Our team played hard, Kevin’s [Dupont] point of whether or not we can play faster, whether or not we can find players that will create more anxiety on the forecheck in some of the situations. You certainly look at the teams that are still playing and they do a really good job of that, and in pockets of time we did, otherwise wouldn't have still been playing. The teams that are still playing or are damn good, they earned the right to be there and we didn’t. It's hard to get in, it's hard to continue to win, but I've got to find the players that we’re confident are going to push us forward.”

On Jim Montgomery’s ability to have an impact on the team...
Sweeney: “Yeah, Jim [Montgomery] is a strong, strong communicator. So when you're adding the players that we did and coming in, and having a new captain, I think one of his strengths is his coaching ability to unite players of that sort, clearly identify the areas that we're looking for our group to carry forward that top possession, the ability to generate, the ability to break out and continue hammering all of those ideals and structure. Playing with good structure, I think that's a really fundamental part of what we try to do as an organization is bring players in here that fit into that, but can push us forward. In several instances, Kevin Shattenkirk, for all the right reasons we brought him in, our power play went dormant for a little bit, he steps into that role, he stepped up, as our players acknowledged, in a leadership fashion in game seven and before game seven to talk about his experiences. JVR [James van Riemsdyk] and Danton Heinen playing roles that Monty [Jim Montgomery] gave them the confidence to play in. But it's also allowing the younger players to hopefully feel like they're not boxed up and get an opportunity to make the team. They might have some setbacks, and communication is a big part of the re addressing of those needs, and Johnny Beecher went through that this year. Again, it's the strength of our staff overall, Jim needs that to clearly identify where the roles are and where our needs are as a group. I think communication is a big part of that.”

On progress on a contract extension for Jeremy Swayman…
Sweeney: “Well it’s clearly a priority, and Jeremy [Swayman] knows, I told him, he took us to arbitration just for clarity. Again, that’s part of it is no different than Trent Frederic and not being able to settle. Sometimes those things happen of course, and it's not an indication of whether or not we didn't believe in Jeremy Swayman or whether or not we don’t think he could have been part of our future, we clearly engaged in conversation during regular season to define the longer term extension, we haven't gotten there yet, it’s a priority now and it will continue to be a priority until we get that across the finish line. He’s a big part of our current team and our record in playoffs and our future. Our goaltending is arguably one of the best tandems in the National Hockey League, and they proved that during the course of the season. They put us in the situation most nights to have an opportunity to win. The priority will be to find a landing spot with Jeremy.

On exploring Mason Lohrei’s defensive pairing with Charlie McAvoy…
Montgomery: “I think that, you know, part of your question is Charlie McAvoy wanting to be and having the ability to be Scott Niedermayer and Scott Stevens is why he's so valuable and so talented and that's why I think he can mix and match with a lot of people. As far as who's going to be his partner next year, I think it's a little premature to be looking at that, whether it’s [Mason] Lohrei, [Hampus] Lindholm, those things will work itself out once the roster is more complete coming towards training camp we'll have a better idea.”

Sweeney: “I can follow up on that. I mean, for quite a long time, the other team targeted Ray Bourque every goddamn night. Let's be honest, that's what happens in the playoffs. They know what key components on other rosters are, and they're going to try and attack it. That's an opportunity for other players to take a step forward. Charlie [McAvoy] embraces that opportunity to play against the best players and to hopefully stare them down. Then that’s continued evolution… Pasta [David Pastrnak] faces arguably the hardest matchups that he's going to face. That's what the playoffs are, and we're trying to do the exact same thing to the other side. In Charlie [McAvoy’s] case, we persevered, and against Florida we fell short. That’s why we're not playing and we need to continue to do a better job.”

On Linus Ullmark’s contract…
Sweeney: “But again, those things will take care of themselves. No conversation I'm going to have with a player in terms of what we're trying to do, until we have to have a conversation, is really going to go public. I hope you all respect that because ultimately that's as a player, a former player, I would hope would happen. We're gonna find a landing spot with Jeremy Swayman, and if we can make the math work, we're going to have the best tandem. If we can't, we're going to explore, and for Linus [Ullmark], he may come to us and change his mind, that may occur as well. Right now we're very happy to sign Linus [Ullmark], and in a perfect world, we would keep the tandem because I think it's damn good. But we're going to explore opportunities. My phone's going to ring, I'm going to make calls. That's just what the job requires. At times, unfortunately, things start to leak out. That's your job, you guys do a hell of a job of figuring those things out and piecing them together. Some guys are really wrong, but it doesn't stop you from throwing it out there and that's okay. It's good for the business overall. It’s good for hockey, in terms of drawing, attention and eyes to it. So I understand.”
On Brad Marchand’s leadership…
Sweeney: “I mean, everybody knows Brad's [Marchand] personality, he's going to look to embrace everything and shoulder everything he possibly can. I think we all tried to have conversations with Brad saying, you're not doing this alone, in any way, shape or form. You're anointed as our leader, he sets the tone in practice every day. Everything is sort of amplified with Brad, which is such a positive attribute of his. He had resources to be able to tap into in Patrice [Bergeron] and other leaders that he's learned from, but he has to be his own person, he had to navigate that on his own, to some degree. We had a lot of good conversations, just in terms of more tone of things, and what direction he ultimately wanted to take it. Now, he's not doing it alone. David [Pastrnak] and Charlie [McAvoy] and other people. we have a leadership group, right? And [Brandon] Carlo, we have a leadership group, that does help the job to support those efforts. And publicly they’ve acknowledged that the culture in that room is an extension obviously of what was formally created, but it's continuing and other players that are coming in, you know, Pat Maroon, talks of walking into that room and being welcomed. Andrew Peeke, being welcome. [Kevin] Shattenkirk, standing up in a game seven and feeling empowered to make that. That wasn't just Brad making that speech, that's indicative of a guy who's growing into leadership. Not feeling like he has to suffocate the room, that it's an extension of what he's trying to accomplish as a leader himself.”

On if he can hypothetically go to arbitration with Jeremy Swayman…
Sweeney: “Yes. I don’t plan on it. Again, he might file, that’s how the system works. But the answer to your question is yes.”

On the goaltender trade market…
Sweeney: “I mean, I’d disagree. I think that goaltenders trade hands, you know, draft scenario one through nine overall one year. So, it's really what teams needs and what the market will bear, and ultimately it comes down to supply and demand, what a team wants and what you might have, ultimately, that generally shapes the trade market. There isn't a lot of goaltenders in exchange, so it's a small sample size to begin with, but arguably, they change and what other teams need will set the return.”

On his relationship with Mike Babcock…
Montgomery: “Yeah, I mean, to me it's not only Mike Babcock, I remember calling before game five, calling Harry Sinden who I communicate with quite frequently because of you know, how much the Bruins mean and how much he means to the Bruins history. You know, and wether it's Scotty Bowman, or it's Craig Berube, like, I like to reach out to a lot of different people, because there might be something they say that really connects and jars me that will allow me to be better, and hence the team to grow. I think if you know it’s something that will help the Bruins, and that's why I make those phone calls. Because when you're just communicating with someone that has been through it all and has seen it all, I think a lot of times you forget, because they're not in the moment, you are in the moment. And when you're in the moment, sometimes it's hard to see outside of the box, and they help you see outside the box.”

On his communication with impending free agents…
Sweeney: “I've had conversations with all of our impending free agents, giving them an indication of where we're leading, but we haven't made any final, concrete decisions. Just telling them, we have upcoming meetings that we have to go through and then put the jigsaw puzzle together as we see it and how aggressive we're going to be. I've indicated some players the likely direction but nothing concrete.”

On if any players need surgery…
Sweeney: “No, thankfully at this time, we don't have anybody. Got some follow up stuff that a couple players will need, but we don’t have anybody for surgery.”

On any leadership changes in the Jacobs family…
Jacobs: “No, I just wanted to get ahead of any potential questions regarding that. When we have an end of season presser, there's always that question, I just wanted to get ahead, no change.”

On any leadership or management changes in the last five years…
Jacobs: “Well, there was a change, we let go of our coach. We have a new one sitting here. This is unfortunately a second playoff exit, a little further this year than last year, but we have had change, Kevin [Dupont].”

On any other personnel changes going into next season…
Jacobs: “Well, I would leave that up to the gentlemen, the three to my left. I wanted to as I mentioned in my opening remarks, they have my utmost confidence, and I feel like we haven't necessarily found our ceiling yet, in terms of the opportunity of this team. I believe in them to find that ceiling. And hence, they have my confidence and therefore no change. I don't foresee a change in these personnel for this upcoming season. I can't speak for the people that report to Cam [Neely] and Don [Sweeney] or Monty [Jim Montgomery], for that matter. But no, not from where I sit.”

On any coaching staff changes…
Montgomery: “Again, we haven’t finished all of our revision of last year, but as it stands right now, you know, there is no imminent changes in our mind.”

On if he sees a path forward in contract discussions with Jake DeBrusk…
Sweeney: “Again, negotiation is a two-way street. We’ve took an aggressive position with Jake [DeBrusk]. No different than other players that have chosen not to resign and explore, that's within his right, certainly at this time of the year. Do I see a path? Yeah, there’s a path, I told him that at our exit meetings. You know, he’s been a big part of our group, he elevated in the playoffs. And I would prefer to have Jake DeBrusk as part of our team, but he has some opportunity in front of him that he may pursue otherwise. I don't have a clear answer for you today. But I know the position we've taken, we feel very comfortable. But it didn't get to the finish line.”

On any discussions of a contract extension for Brad Marchand…
Sweeney: “Yeah, we're going to get to Brad. He's learning patience as a captain as well. So, he has to learn there’s some ducks in a row in terms of adding to our group and how he wants to add to that, and those guys that don't have contracts up ahead, and eventually he’ll extend here. He’ll be a lifelong Bruin, that’s what we should do. But we'll check that box.”

On what changes he would like to make…

Montgomery: “I felt throughout the year, when we had or faced adversity because the outcomes weren’t what we would like, I do think we made changes that made us better. I think if you look at you know, the expected goals for halfway through the year and the end of the year expected goals against halfway through the year and the end of the year, they're really indicative of, if your team's progressing or not, and we did progress in both those areas. So, offensively and defensively we felt as a group that our team identity changed and that was you know, the communication I talk about that comes from these gentlemen here to my right, but also from the leadership core to me and the staff, you know, identifying how we can get better. And I think we did a lot of that. I think if you look within the series too, both series, we continued to get better within the series. So, what I say we would do anything different? Oh, maybe we could I mean, those things that we recognized that allowed us to get better, to do at a game earlier. At the same time, things come and you don’t want to make changes just to make changes. That sometimes is a lack of patience and lack of belief in what you’re trying to do and how you’re doing it. So that’s a long-winded question to say that we’re really happy with a lot of what we did and we have to continue to get better. Whether it's greeting offense or creating more turnovers defensively, especially in the offensive and neutral zones, not so much the defensive zone. Those are things we’re going to continue to look at.”

On difficulty winning home games in playoffs…
Neely: “It’s really hard to say, to be honest with you, I think across the league in playoffs, maybe the home team might be under .500. So I don’t know if this, in particular, is a Bruins’ issue. It’s something that we certainly want to talk about this offseason because when you get into this building as a player, you know it’s going to be cranking. And our fans, like I said earlier, bring it every night. That’s something when you’re at home as a player, you really want to perform well, and you probably put a little too much pressure on yourself as opposed to on the road, you just go out and play the game. From a player's perspective, I think sometimes you maybe put a little too much pressure on yourself to perform your best at home.”

On getting seven too-many-men penalties in the playoffs…
Neely: “I mean, seven is a lot, no question. You got to kill off 14 minutes of penalties that you shouldn't be taking. One or two you can understand, but there’s clearly some miscommunication, whether it’s players not prepared to jump or jump too early. Guys come to the bench and then not getting on the bench. I think there was one in particular where [Brandon] Carlo came out of the penalty box, so I think a defenseman thought it was his change cause Brandon was a defenseman. But I think it was a forward that needed to go. So there’s different reasons why it happens, but seven is way too many to have happen, there’s no question about it.”

On addressing faceoff challenges and shooting opportunities this season…
Montgomery: “The shot clock, ever since I started being the head coach, is something that I never put much emphasis on. If you’re not generating enough scoring chances or giving up too many scoring chances, that’s where we really get concerned. At times in the playoffs, we weren’t generating enough scoring chances. And that’s the concerning part. We knew where we needed to try to continue to get better throughout the series. When it comes to faceoffs, in particular, I think that when you lose the centerman that we lost that took so many important faceoffs, I think that the other centermen that we lost too, they were all over 53%. [Tomas] Nosek. They were all old, they all had many years in the League. Faceoffs you continue, if you watch Crosby, his first three years and look at his faceoff percentage in the last three years, it’s a learned art, and I only expect our group to continue to get better at the tricks of the trade of how to win faceoffs, how to communicate better with the people that are on the ice with you, to understand where the for the lack of, this is the term we use. When a centerman is taking a draw against a certain other-handed faceoff, there’s a spray that’s going to go whether you win or lose. And being able to communicate to those guys to anticipate a little bit more is somewhere where we need to continue to grow as a team. And win or lose, be able to create possession off of a win or a loss more often than we did this year is part of our team growth for next year.”

On Pat Maroon’s impact and future in Boston…
Montgomery: “I think Pat [Maroon] was really instrumental for that second voice or third voice. Especially on the bench. Especially in moments, I think I’ve talked about it, and other players have talked about it. In the face of adversity, he has a lot of special qualities that give confidence to players that we can or we will attitude. He was important in a lot of facets to our team.

Sweeney:The intention, obviously, was to bring on the winning experience. He was that voice of reason that, if he’s able to calm things down, he does, despite the role and his ability to diffuse some things. Health will probably be the paramount thing that we factor in with Pat moving forward.”

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Quick recap

Charlie - My father is still alive

Cam - Nobody is getting fired

Don - I will do something

Monty - I am happy to still have a job
Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to watch that farce of a press conference.

What I wouldn’t give to get the four of them in a room with US (the HF Bruins faithful).

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
LOl ok live in fantasy world if you think earning a profit is not as important if not more so.
Late to the party here but try telling that to leaf fans these days. Keith Pelley had to go out an re-emphasize that their only goal is winning, and Brad Treliving emphasized winning the Cup. Had anyone said otherwise they'd have been tarred and feathered. Toronto, and I mean the city, not leaf fans, has had enough. Boston won't win another Cup until Bruins fans have had enough too. Doesn't sound to me like you have yet.

Edit: Too harsh, my apologies (again lol).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad