GDT: #1 | Flyers at Canucks | Friday, October 11, 2024 | 10:00 PM Torture Time | NBCSP

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But, but he's big and slow and plays the "Flyers way."
Obviously has no future.

Foerster is a high IQ player, was 99% defensively as a rookie.
Big boi, listed at 6'2 215 on TC roster, but at 23 can fill out some more.
Skating has improved, but I think the biggest surprise is his passing skills.

Still think Mark Stone is his prototype - big, smart forward who makes up for average skating with anticipation and skillful plays.

You can get good players later in the 1st rd.

What? He scores too much to play "the Flyers way"

You're just fabricating weird things and strawmen to argue against

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
After some time to digest...

Ersson was really solid. His puck tracking is so much better than when he started playing regularly in the NHL. He has the tools to be a legit number one.

Luchanko looked more settled than Michkov in their respective first games, but I don't see Luchanko sticking around this year. Not a fan of Cates at centre, but give him a shot with Brink and Farabee and see how it goes.

Michkov had several small high IQ plays scattered throughout the night, but was really fighting the puck.

Brink's confidence remains at an all time high. He made some questionable puck decisions, but he's actually thinking about making plays and controlling the pace of the game, where he has been a bit of a passenger in his NHL career to this point.

Couts and Laughton looked cooked. I hope Couts slowly warms up... no hope of a Laughton improvement. Fourth line was fine overall, though.

Frost struggled without Michkov. Asinine to separate them after the preseason they had together. Both played better when reunited. Tippett had a bad night, no matter who he was playing with.

Foerster is a joy to watch live. Incredibly intelligent player. Happy to see him score.

Sanheim/York were solid. Risto had a fee bad moments but I found myself cursing him less that Drysdale and Zamula. Drysdale needs a lot of work. Zamula is so close to being a good defenseman, but carries rookie-like inconsistencies. I give credit to Johnson, who filled in well enough on his off side.

PK looked decent enough. Felt less confident when Risto and Johnson were out together.

PP had its ups and downs. Frost really needs to start winning PP faceoffs. Don't think he won one until the third period. 2nd unit looked better than the first, probably because Michkov lacked confidence.

Overall, pretty ugly hockey game. Vancouver was really unimpressive and neither team took advantage of the other's sub-par defense core.

Felt like fewer Flyers fans there than normal, but had a good group in my section.
Good review, appreciate your insight!

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah I agree. He's got that knack for getting in the right spots.

Brink looked terrible 5 on 5 but he seemed dangerous on the PP. Is my assessment of him accurate ?

Foerster is who they should move to C. Great shot, 2 way play, defense. Average skating but above average IQ and passing, plus he’s big and has played C before.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Luchanko had a respectable game all-in-all. Although Game 1 can be a lot different than game 20. There's a reason this summer I said he was more maturity than potential, despite the age. But he still has yet to do anything I didn't see in Guelph. Gun to my head, I don't know if sending him back even grows what might be a skill cap (challenging players 1v1, working through traffic, transition ability). He's just very meat and potatoes, puck on and off his stick (that's a positive and negative).

I have a very slight concern on Tippett. He’s looked off since training camp. The speed isn’t evident, the separation and power in his skating isn’t there yet…. I think he started slow last year so maybe he’s just a slow starter.

I had the same thought. He looked SLOW. He's an elite skater, so whatever right now, barring an injury. But his game gets pretty hollow pretty quickly without that burst. That's the crystal ball showing the end of his contract.

What? He scores too much to play "the Flyers way"

You're just fabricating weird things and strawmen to argue against

He's so full of shit with Foerster it stinks. We've been hyping up his versatility -- work on the walls, aggressively touting his passing over the shot -- for 4 years, even during his train wreck D+2. I could even pull posts saying what a terrific OZ/NZ F3 he was with Stankoven and Johnson. In his rush to force us to genuflect, he didn't seem to consider we were right on Foerster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I had the same thought. He looked SLOW. He's an elite skater, so whatever right now, barring an injury. But his game gets pretty hollow pretty quickly without that burst. That's the crystal ball showing the end of his contract.
Actually, Tippett is a pretty good passer, has good size, the shot of course.
His issue is more mental, shoot first, up and down defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad