GDT: #1 | Flyers at Canucks | Friday, October 11, 2024 | 10:00 PM Torture Time | NBCSP

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Need some details here. What are we talking? Okocim? Żywiec?

Maybe a grodziskie if any of those even make it to your area?

I bought a house in Mercer County NJ not realizing that 50% of my neighborhood was Hungarian or Polish, so our local liquor store has two full fridge doors of just Polish brews. I have been through most but yet to try the Grodziskie.

My old standby was Warka Dark, but I have moved on to Bosman. $6 for a 4-pack of pints, think it's in the 5.5% range. Perfectly balanced pale lager that splits the difference between a generic North American clear beer and a German lager. Very dependable drink.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Wait, Michkov is projected to play with Coots and Konecny? I really liked how his creativity meshed with Frost’s. These lines are confirmed or is that how they’ve been practicing ?

Torts probably thinking that Couturier can cover for Michkov and let him focus on the offense? Who knows.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Given the median 3rd line forward scores 23 ES points, it's four 3rd liners and Hathaway as the only 4th line guy.

People just have exaggerated ideas of how much bottom six forwards actually score.
If they were that good, they'd be getting top six minutes on most teams.

240th - median player on 3rd line
last two years scoring (1200+ minutes):
total - rate

Laughton 200th - 261st
Cates 234th - 258th

Hathaway 279th - 299th
Poehling 295th - 288th

[NAK 326th - 276th]
Deslauriers 333rd - 333rd
Is it smart business to have as much money as the Flyers do into their 4th line? Do you think they same prodcution can be found much cheaper?

Laughton saw time higher up in the lineup. So all his productions wasn't on the 4th line. Same with RP and GH

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I won’t even be home before puck drop from work tonight. But I’m not sure I actually want to watch this anyway.
same boat...by the time i get home and make something to eat I will probably have missed the first and most of the 2nd

Reactions: SnS

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The 4th line will play more than the 3rd. Therefore, that will be the 3rd line.

For where they Flyers are at, do you think it is wise to have all that money tied up in the 4th line? Has to be the most expensive 4th line in the league.
thats how a rebuild is done.. 4th line plugs/scrubs work their way up the line pushing genuine talent to the waiver pile..

signed Flyers.

#newEra... 🤣🤣🤣

I'll be moving back to Vancouver in 2 weeks, bad luck I'm moving back after the Flyers play their one game a year there.

Looking forward to seeing Michkov play though. I want him to win the Calder and Celebrini had 1g 1a last night, so Michkov has some work to do.
i hope ur set for $$$ the LM is beyond broken pricewise

Meltzer says that Torts is:
fold the franchise..

wuf

Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I'm excited to see what Jett and Matty bring to the team. I'd like to see an improvement on the power play, but that's about it considering how the D pairings look.

TEMPER YOUR EXPECTATIONS. DO NOT SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Question is, should I put in the effort to go downtown on a Friday night and see the game live, or just enjoy the Michkov show from the comfort of my living room?

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is it smart business to have as much money as the Flyers do into their 4th line? Do you think they same prodcution can be found much cheaper?

Laughton saw time higher up in the lineup. So all his productions wasn't on the 4th line. Same with RP and GH
Islanders had that kind of money in their 4th line for years.
This is one of the best 4th lines in the NHL, and will probably play 1-2 minutes more than the typical 4th line.

Yes, it would be better to have another top 6 forward, but they're a tad big harder to find.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Islanders had that kind of money in their 4th line for years.
This is one of the best 4th lines in the NHL, and will probably play 1-2 minutes more than the typical 4th line.

Yes, it would be better to have another top 6 forward, but they're a tad big harder to find.
One of the best 4th lines in hockey. Is that supposed to mean something? Hey, we have the best 4th line on hockey. They are a non-contending team. That means jack shit.

Isles had a lot of success overpaying those guys. Maybe if they spent that money on top 6 players that may have won something.

How many of the last say 5 cup teams had the "best" 4th line in hockey as their mantra?

still didn't answer the question.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I DVR everything b/c I need to be available for other duties. So late night games merely mean I get to watch closer to real time. Once nice thing about DVR is I don't have to depend on unreliable replays, I can go back and see who screwed up.

The Flyers broadcast is uniquely terrible at not going back and showing penalties.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Ah man. I hope it's for good reasons at least.

My in-laws just left the island after 16 years. Couldn't afford it anymore. I get sticker shock there and I lived in Manhattan. :laugh:
Moving for a new job, make of that what you will.

Sorry your in-laws are being priced out, despite being expensive as all hell, it's still a beautiful area to live.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So that used to be Brunswick/olden Ave in Trenton, near the hospital. now, Hamilton, near Reed Ave.?

Yeah historically that would be the area, but I think there was a bit of an exodus of that population to the more suburban parts. Feels like the majority of white people within 15 miles of Trenton are Poles. We're in Lawrenceville and I hear Polish spoken at the grocery store or the park every time I go out—and not just from old ladies, there are plenty of younger dudes in tracksuits speaking it. It kinda rocks, I love pierogis.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
One of the best 4th lines in hockey. Is that supposed to mean something? Hey, we have the best 4th line on hockey. They are a non-contending team. That means jack shit.

Isles had a lot of success overpaying those guys. Maybe if they spent that money on top 6 players that may have won something.

How many of the last say 5 cup teams had the "best" 4th line in hockey as their mantra?

still didn't answer the question.
I'll try to be a contrarian here and say that sometimes those 4th line identities infuse the young players and top lines with hard work via osmosis.

If you look at a team like the sabres who have a ton of young talent and are utter garbage I think you could perhaps identify hardworking, gritty vets on their 4th line as a thing they've always lacked and has perhaps hurt their play mindset

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah historically that would be the area, but I think there was a bit of an exodus of that population to the more suburban parts. Feels like the majority of white people within 15 miles of Trenton are Poles. We're in Lawrenceville and I hear Polish spoken at the grocery store or the park every time I go out—and not just from old ladies, there are plenty of younger dudes in tracksuits speaking it. It kinda rocks, I love pierogis.
Doesn't sound bad. Here in metro Atlanta I feel like I live in little New Delhi. TONS of Indians due to somewhat nearby tech hubs. Want personal space at costco? Fat chance of that.

Last year's starting 4th line got destroyed in goals even when it was being hyped up by the team and easily-led idiots in the media like COC

Deslauriers with Hathaway - 5 GF 13 GA in 298:07

Deslauriers with Poehling - 1 GF 5 GA in 161:00

Well to be fair the team as a whole didn't score very well. So within the context it's somewhat to be expected. You're going to have to go with a qualitative eye test to understand some 4th lines impacts IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad