Post-Game Talk: 1 Down, 3 To Go

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sure, but Oilers are great until they aren't. We play excellent and then fall apart, so there is a bigger context to the Oilers stats. Skinner's goal in game 3 was possibly the most backbreaking goal possible, it cost us the game, but the team has made many brutal mental errors in front of him too.

I don't think Skinner has been a factor in the finals outside of the game three goal. Ya if we had bob we win this series, but if they had McDavid we don't. It's not a real comparison to make, because we can't afford a ten million goalie, we have guys that are supposed to score on them, and they hadn't
Good take. Actually matches quite closely to The Athletic’s goalie expert Jesse Granger’s take on Skinner too:

“The save percentage hasn’t been good, the stats aren’t great. But you play for a team that is not good for goalie stats. The oilers play a style where they possess the puck a lot, and you don’t get a huge volume of shots, but then when they do give up a chance because they are so aggressive offensively it’s a really dangerous chance. So I’ll give him a bit of a break on his save percentage. I don’t think the oilers play like a team where any goalie can step in and play .920, I think it’s the opposite for him. If you get the best out of skinner you have a chance at the cup.“

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Maybe on the 4th line for Ryan

Foegele-McD-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Holloway
Janmark-Rico-Brown
Kane-McLeod-Perry
Kane-McLeod-Perry

vietnam-flashback-traumatized.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sure, but Oilers are great until they aren't. We play excellent and then fall apart, so there is a bigger context to the Oilers stats. Skinner's goal in game 3 was possibly the most backbreaking goal possible, it cost us the game, but the team has made many brutal mental errors in front of him too.

I don't think Skinner has been a factor in the finals outside of the game three goal. Ya if we had bob we win this series, but if they had McDavid we don't. It's not a real comparison to make, because we can't afford a ten million goalie, we have guys that are supposed to score on them, and they hadn't

Every team has lapses in play. That’s literally what the goalie is there for. These are the two best teams left. These teams are going to get their chances.

Skinner has given 1 game that was even average through 4. Not good enough.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Dumbest argument I’ve read all day. If everything is based off of pay- we need to boot Nuge, Hyman, and Bouchard off the PP and play Nurse.
This is pretty damn dumb too.

The argument is about roster construction and where you've elected or had the opportunity to spend money.

In the Oilers' case they've thrown big money at Connor and Leon (and Darnell obv) which leaves less for other positions including goal, especially as Campbell flopped.

Florida spent a big chunk of cap on a goalie with mixed results, but Bob does have a higher ceiling.

Swapping goalies isn't just hypothetical, it's impossible cap wise and thus not meaningful or relevant. That's the argument here. By adding somewhere you have to subtract elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Ya kinda strange to compare a 2.5m goalie to a 10 mil goalie and say "he's outplayed skinner in 3 of 4 games, it's all skinners fault"

With the way our team is constructed, skinners job is to give us a chance, and I'd argue he's done just that in 3/4 games this series

Should we be mad that McLeod hasn't been able to produce at auston matthews level this playoffs?
Ridiculous comparison. Then we can also make the argument that if we played Pickard for these 4 games at his $762,000 salary the series would likely be tied at 2 at the worst!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Connor brown back from the dead
I just take one issue with this post. Brown has been alive for a long time, people are seeing the scoring now and Game 4 was probably his best of the bunch but he's been the lynchpin, along with Janmark, on a very good 4th line for months now. The points didn't always come but these guys have been tilting the ice in the right direction consistently game after game and are both rock solid defensively. This isn't even touching on their immense PK contributions.

IF the Oilers somehow pull off the unthinakble and win his darn thing, I won't be thinking about McDraiman or Ekchard or Skinner immediately, Janmark and Brown are the two I'd think about first, that have been consistently great in their role even when others weren't spearheaded a historically good PK that won playoff games for them and gave the team life in a Game 4 of a Stanley Cup finals down 3-0 in the series.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It’s funny cause back when Gagner was actually good most of this board hated him. Mocked him. Used critical pictures of him as their avatars. He had few defenders. Now everyone loves him. :dunno:
You either die a villain or live long enough to become a hero ;)

On another note, this 2 day break feels like forever. I don't know how much of a role momentum really plays from game to game but that's probably not the best news for the Oilers giving the Panthers an extra day to recover from that beatdown.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You either die a villain or live long enough to become a hero ;)

On another note, this 2 day break feels like forever. I don't know how much of a role momentum really plays from game to game but that's probably not the best news for the Oilers giving the Panthers an extra day to recover from that beatdown.
I think the Panthers are probably more eager to get right back at it than the Oilers.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
This is pretty damn dumb too.

The argument is about roster construction and where you've elected or had the opportunity to spend money.

In the Oilers' case they've thrown big money at Connor and Leon (and Darnell obv) which leaves less for other positions including goal, especially as Campbell flopped.

Florida spent a big chunk of cap on a goalie with mixed results, but Bob does have a higher ceiling.

Swapping goalies isn't just hypothetical, it's impossible cap wise and thus not meaningful or relevant. That's the argument here. By adding somewhere you have to subtract elsewhere.
No- the argument was Bob is better because he gets paid 10M.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Last night was the best moment as an oilers fan in 18 years
It was the Game 6 win against Dallas for me, hard to top clinching a SCF berth on home ice after an 18 year hiatus.
When they beat the Kings to clinch their first playoff spot in 11 years in '16-'17 actually had me welling up a bit because of a culmination of the heartache of the Decade of Darkness coming to an end kind of giving me a rush of feels in the moment but, yeah, 2 nights ago is up there even if it only merely kept them alive for another game.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It was the Game 6 win against Dallas for me, hard to top clinching a SCF berth on home ice after an 18 year hiatus.
When they beat the Kings to clinch their first playoff spot in 11 years in '16-'17 actually had me welling up a bit because of a culmination of the heartache of the Decade of Darkness coming to an end kind of giving me a rush of feels in the moment but, yeah, 2 nights ago is up there even if it only merely kept them alive for another game.
Same here. Hopefully the Oilers can win the Cup and then I'll have a new favorite moment.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4