Post-Game Talk: 1 Down, 3 To Go

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The goal posts had more stops than Skinner did early in game. Just saying. Panthers stopped finishing well. Even on the cross ice plays they didn't place shots very well allowing Skinner to get across.

That said Panthers were probably getting a lot of puck luck early in series and shots having eyes. Now that seems to have abated. Skinner played well, but basically doing what a goalie should do and stopping what he should stop.
It’s all he gave them. Good goaltending unlike what Drai said as a troll that one time lol.

Reactions: McDoused

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The goal posts had more stops than Skinner did early in game. Just saying. Panthers stopped finishing well. Even on the cross ice plays they didn't place shots very well allowing Skinner to get across.

That said Panthers were probably getting a lot of puck luck early in series and shots having eyes. Now that seems to have abated. Skinner played well, but basically doing what a goalie should do and stopping what he should stop.
You are unbelievably dense, man. And your personal dislike of all things Skinner shows in nearly every single post you make. A huge game, he plays well, and all you can say is the Panthers didn't shoot very well, and there was nothing but goalposts. But I guess all the posts we hit against Bobo don't mean anything. Give it up, man, you're making yourself look petty. Just enjoy the win and the game like everyone else.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I still have that shania Twain song giddy up stuck in my head but combined with the 8-1 win it sounds like this in my head
2C771DF2-D4F8-40F3-B3B4-06E463B561B5.jpeg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Shot clock is one thing, an irrelevant thing really. Seeing the egregious breakdowns that was the prime reason those goals went in is more important when attributing blame or criticism. You can criticize Skinner for not enough big saves though, but not for bad goals in Game 1. You can also say he didn’t cost the team the game cause the team scored zero goals in that game.
No Skinner didn’t “cost the team” game 1 but he definitely contributed to the loss. Scoring in chase mode is way harder. Exhibit A last night where Florida only managed 1.

Just like despite the Oilers scoring 8 goals, he still definitely contributed to the win.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No Skinner didn’t “cost the team” game 1 but he definitely contributed to the loss. Scoring in chase mode is way harder. Exhibit A last night where Florida only managed 1.

Just like despite the Oilers scoring 8 goals, he still definitely contributed to the win.
Contributed a small amount maybe. There were was plenty of time to give run support in that game, despite the difficulty of being in chase mode.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Contributed a small amount maybe. There were was plenty of time to give run support in that game, despite the difficulty of being in chase mode.
I’ll take it. :laugh:

Funny how the goal posts get mentioned now.
I dont recall the goalposts playing a role when the Oilers were getting goalied.
Oilers are King of hitting the post.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
One thing that gets me is last night they didn't show the Florida watch party at Amerrat arena once. Interesting that. they showed it plenty when Florida were up 4-1 in game 3 We hadn't seen glimpses of them since. Only when Panthers are winning I guess..

Oilers got unstuck in game 3. Started scoring. Now Panthers are having trouble finding net. Hockey can be like that.
I swear they showed it one time, funny that you mention that. I think it was after Florida scored and it looked like nobody in that building was cheering or even paying attention, just scrolling phones.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I swear they showed it one time, funny that you mention that. I think it was after Florida scored and it looked like nobody in that building was cheering or even paying attention, just scrolling phones.
Yeah I saw that too. Are they being paid or something to sit at the watch party? They showed it in game 3 and none of the fans were standing and cheering.

I remember after Tampa won the cup and beat Montreal some media went to a few bars and the people inside had no idea what happened or what the Stanley Cup was.

Why try and doctor an image like a bunch of folks from Florida care about hockey? They don't.

Hockey as a sport is the most insecure of any sport. You could be the most washed up star from the 90s and its "oh jaleel white please tell us why you love evander kane!"

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He gave the Oilers a chance to win in Game 1 but the oilers scored zero goals. That’s good enough goaltending hy definition. Panthers controlled game 2 though, deserved to win that, wasn’t given that game by Stu. So like I said, he only cost the team one game with that one bad goal.
"Only cost the team one game." That one game that put the proverbial nail in the coffin. That put the series from a potential 2-1 with a chance to tie it up, to essentially just playing for pride at this point unless the Oilers are able to do something that hasn't happened in 80 years.

That's one too many. How hard is it for you guys to get it? We're in the Stanley cup finals for gods sake. Not some random regular season game.

And then you go "he gave the Oilers a chance to win" in game 1. He didn't give the Oilers anything. He let in 2 goals on 17 shots. Meanwhile the other goalie had a ~33 save shutout.

Reactions: Lannes and McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
"Only cost the team one game." That one game that put the proverbial nail in the coffin. That put the series from a potential 2-1 with a chance to tie it up, to essentially just playing for pride at this point unless the Oilers are able to do something that hasn't happened in 80 years.

That's one too many. How hard is it for you guys to get it? We're in the Stanley cup finals for gods sake. Not some random regular season game.

And then you go "he gave the Oilers a chance to win" in game 1. He didn't give the Oilers anything. He let in 2 goals on 17 shots. Meanwhile the other goalie had a ~33 save shutout.
Yes. One game. Proverbial nail in the coffin cause our offence no showed for 2 games straight. And that one game included one bad goal, and plenty of defensive mistakes that were the fault of the Oilers Team D.

One too many maybe. Bob also blew one game entirely. So atleast it’s even on that front.

The Oilers scored zero goals in game 1. 3 goals, which is about Bob’s GAA lately could have won us that game. A Shesty performance in Game 1 and we still lose.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes. One game. Proverbial nail in the coffin cause our offence no showed for 2 games straight. And that one game included one bad goal, and plenty of defensive mistakes that were the fault of the Oilers Team D.

One too many maybe. Bob also blew one game entirely. So atleast it’s even on that front.

The Oilers scored zero goals in game 1. 3 goals, which is about Bob’s GAA lately could have won us that game. A Shesty performance in Game 1 and we still lose.

Bobrovsky has 3QS (quality starts) in 4 games.

Stuart Skinner has 1QS.

I maintain what I said. Swap goalies in this series and we are at the very least up 3-1.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Skinner played solid. I believe he made one impressive save in the game, the rest were all shots that every goalie should be making a save on. He did what he had to do -- finally. Good game from him but let's not pretend he had a game like Bobrovsky has had in the first couple of this series making acrobatic pad stack cross crease while falling game saving saves. Stuff like on McLeod in the slot.

He should be expected to play this way every single game as an NHL goaltender. Hope he keeps it up.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bobrovsky has 3QS (quality starts) in 4 games.

Stuart Skinner has 1QS.

I maintain what I said. Swap goalies in this series and we are at the very least up 3-1.
Yeh but I like to live in reality. Where we don’t have a 10M goalie on top of the 2 best forwards in the League. Bob has played better than Skinner thus far. Doesn’t mean Skinner cost us this 3-0 hole we are in.

Skinner played solid. I believe he made one impressive save in the game, the rest were all shots that every goalie should be making a save on. He did what he had to do -- finally. Good game from him but let's not pretend he had a game like Bobrovsky has had in the first couple of this series making acrobatic pad stack cross crease while falling game saving saves. Stuff like on McLeod in the slot.

He should be expected to play this way every single game as an NHL goaltender. Hope he keeps it up.
Actually 2 big saves. 2 lateral movement robberies. One went off Skinner and nicked the post. So maybe that’s why you only counted 1. Besides the big saves though, yes he made all the ones you should make. Didn’t give up any stinkers like Bobs Eklhom 5 hole goal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeh but I like to live in reality. Where we don’t have a 10M goalie on top of the 2 best forwards in the League. Bob has played better than Skinner thus far. Doesn’t mean Skinner cost us this 3-0 hole we are in.

By reality you mean "one good game in 4" is good enough for your starting goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad