Post-Game Talk: 1/21/18 - Vancouver Canucks 0 @ Winnipeg Jets 1

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Really? There is an extreme double standard on both players here. That was my point. Virtanen plays less then 10 minutes a night but should be producing more.
Sure if you pick the easy comparrison of two NHLers getting 10 minutes a night and stop there. Less of a double standard when you look at draft position, junior stats, AHL stats, projected ceiling, NHL linemates and deployment.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Pouliot is exposed night after night, he should only be getting in the lineup if there is an injury.
Didn't you hear? Pouliot was an absolute steal and has been a reliable top 6 NHL defenseman for us. Only "real fans" would know that.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Didn't you hear? Pouliot was an absolute steal and has been a reliable top 6 NHL defenseman for us. Only "real fans" would know that.

Once again, it’s been real quiet on that front too. Sigh, it’s so predictable at this point.

Any reclamation project Benning picks up is the easiest bet to flop. I wish I could put money on it.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Sure if you pick the easy comparrison of two NHLers getting 10 minutes a night and stop there. Less of a double standard when you look at draft position, junior stats, AHL stats, projected ceiling, NHL linemates and deployment.

They play on the same line at times and Virtanen is getting less minutes most nights. Yes one was drafted over the other and one has much more AHL points.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
They play on the same line at times and Virtanen is getting less minutes most nights. Yes one was drafted over the other and one has much more AHL points.
Virtanen has been tried on every line multiple times and hasnt been able to stick or make chemistry with anyone. Gaunce has never been above the 3rd line and can atleast eat up minutes on the PK and defensive draws. Virtanen needs to atleast play physical if he wants an NHL career at this point since he is a 15-20 point speedy Yakupov

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Pouliot is exposed night after night, he should only be getting in the lineup if there is an injury.
Agreed. In the first place I thought the coaching change was a fairly transparent case of deflection and blame shifting.

What would possess anyone to think a coaching change could make a substantial difference with a roster like this?

They had to know damned well it wouldn't.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Agreed. In the first place I thought the coaching change was a fairly transparent case of deflection and blame shifting.

What would possess anyone to think a coaching change could make a substantial difference with a roster like this?

They had to know damned well it wouldn't.

Green is coaching for his life, so he is coaching exactly like Willie with some improvements and changes, but there’s not much difference.

He’s riding veterans and benching kids. We are no further ahead than we were a season ago.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Virtanen has been tried on every line multiple times and hasnt been able to stick or make chemistry with anyone. Gaunce has never been above the 3rd line and can atleast eat up minutes on the PK and defensive draws. Virtanen needs to atleast play physical if he wants an NHL career at this point since he is a 15-20 point speedy Yakupov

He hasn't been tried up this season at all. His first year? Sure he was. He hasn't been floating up and down the lines this year at all.

I seem to remember a lot of posters thought he was playing pretty good this year, regardless of points. A lot were upset with his ice time.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Green is coaching for his life, so he is coaching exactly like Willie with some improvements and changes, but there’s not much difference.

He’s riding veterans and benching kids. We are no further ahead than we were a season ago.
Yes, and the awful Willie D lands a very prestigious job coaching the Olympic team. Shows what the industry thought of the move I'd say.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pointing out how that it wasn't as big an issue for that player here.

Granted Virtanen should be pushing his way up the lineup with his pedigree.

The discussion was that Virtanen deserved his scratch because he's not putting up points. "what about Gaunce" who also has been scratched for not putting up points is an irrelevant attempt at deflection.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He hasn't been tried up this season at all. His first year? Sure he was. He hasn't been floating up and down the lines this year at all.

I seem to remember a lot of posters thought he was playing pretty good this year, regardless of points. A lot were upset with his ice time.
Horvat escaped the 4th line by proving he deserved it. He does have speed, some hands, and can take a puck wide towards the net. He needs to work on what to do infront of the net and everything away from the puck. I want him to succeed, most of us do. Its just most of us never wanted him being drafted in the first place. Management has screwed him up not knowing how to develop him. He should be sent down to the A and given big minutes and opportunity down there at this point. I doubt he does better than last year down there just like he isnt better this year compared to his rookie year especially since hes afraid of contact since his suspension

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The discussion was that Virtanen deserved his scratch because he's not putting up points. "what about Gaunce" who also has been scratched for not putting up points is an irrelevant attempt at deflection.

Sure whatever. I never said him being scratched was a bad thing, I'm just saying people here were fine with gaunce not scoring in what 100 games? Yes yes deflection though because reasons...

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Actually, one final remedial stint in Utica might boost the confidence of the Big Tuna. I wouldn't be against it. Last chance this season because of the blown year of waiver exemption.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Horvat escaped the 4th line by proving he deserved it. He does have speed, some hands, and can take a puck wide towards the net. He needs to work on what to do infront of the net and everything away from the puck. I want him to succeed, most of us do. Its just most of us never wanted him being drafted in the first place. Management has screwed him up not knowing how to develop him. He should be sent down to the A and given big minutes and opportunity down there at this point. I doubt he does better than last year down there just like he isnt better this year compared to his rookie year especially since hes afraid of contact since his suspension

Well, I don't agree that he hasn't been better, he has back checked a lot more this year then he ever did in his rookie year. I can recall off the top of my head a few times he broke up odd man rushes with his speed. He hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been horrible either. Needs work.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sure whatever. I never said him being scratched was a bad thing, I'm just saying people here were fine with gaunce not scoring in what 100 games? Yes yes deflection though because reasons...

It's a deflection because it doesn't matter what people were saying about Gaunce when discussing the topic of whether or not Virtanen earned his scratch.

Those are the "reasons."

Here is a link you might find interesting if you really are interested in learning the reasons.

Whataboutism - Wikipedia

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
As many, many people have explained to you many, many times, Gaunce has at least found a defensive role that he succeeds at. Sure, his lack of ability to generate offence is completely laughable, but at least he found some way to make himself useful. Virtanen simply hasn't.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Virtanen either needs to play a lot to see what we have or play in the AHL. It’s almost as if the Canucks are scared to actually make it concrete Virtanen isn’t good enough so they are still trying to ease him in.

Also doesn’t help useless veterans get the icetime and benefit of the doubt over the kids....we did switch coaches right...doesn’t seem like it.

We are 13pts out of the playoffs. f***ing play the kids and see what we have. I am so tired of this conservative approach although all these idiots in management are coaching and managing this team by the skin of their team knowing they are on the brink.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It's a deflection because it doesn't matter what people were saying about Gaunce when discussing the topic of whether or not Virtanen earned his scratch.

Those are the "reasons."

Here is a link you might find interesting if you really are interested in learning the reasons.

Whataboutism - Wikipedia

No maybe you have a hard time understanding me? I meant that scoring(not scratching) wasn't an issue for Guance. Virtanen has been scratched this year as well.

At this point I'm not sure this is doing anything other then going round and round with you trying to discredit me.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
As many, many people have explained to you many, many times, Gaunce has at least found a defensive role that he succeeds at. Sure, his lack of ability to generate offence is completely laughable, but at least he found some way to make himself useful. Virtanen simply hasn't.

And yet his advance stats say he has? I mean, hasn't he been used on the checking line as well? I'm sorry I haven't joined into the many people club that so many here seem to be part of....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad