OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Speaking of Belfast--the group Kneecap (two from the Falls Road and the other from Derry) who rap in a mix of Irish and English....more often than not it seems more Irish than English (and I don't speak Irish) and they're very good and the bits in English sometimes hilarious and often political. They've had a running battle with DUP politicians ever since they started. They kind of see themselves as Irish language ambassadors.

I've seen SLF twice and Jake Burns on his own doing an acoustic set once.....that was at a Dropkicks/Flogging Molly concert.

There were so many. I have an idea you have a more extensive record collection and knowledge on the subject than I do. Well I got that almost right off.
Not familiar with Kneecap. Yeah my dads family is from off the Fall’s Road. There’s actually a Hamill St there. One of my buddies is in Sinn Fein. He gave us a tour of the area when I was there. He lives in Dublin and his vehicle tags show he’s not from the North so we did catch some threats up around that area.
I also did some day drinking in Belfast with Jim Reilly, the original drummer from SLF who was also in the US band Red Rockers. His brother was shot in the back and killed by a British soldier. I got a LOT of history lessons in a short period of time that visit.

billycouldride

Dec 10, 2013
here's something a little different. great pop sensibility, and love the bass at the end of the song. I have 2 cd's by this band and its real nice work.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not familiar with Kneecap. Yeah my dads family is from off the Fall’s Road. There’s actually a Hamill St there. One of my buddies is in Sinn Fein. He gave us a tour of the area when I was there. He lives in Dublin and his vehicle tags show he’s not from the North so we did catch some threats up around that area.
I also did some day drinking in Belfast with Jim Reilly, the original drummer from SLF who was also in the US band Red Rockers. His brother was shot in the back and killed by a British soldier. I got a LOT of history lessons in a short period of time that visit.

First time I watched a Kneecap video I laughed my ass off. The guy who does their music (the guy from Derry) goes by the name DJ Provai and is wearing an Irish Flag balaclava most of the time. I was like f*** that's pretty funny.

Red Rockers first album Condition Red is terrific. They were from Louisiana. I'm pretty sure a New Orleans punk band. By the time Jim Reilly showed up to play for them they'd gone all New Wavy. I really liked their first album. The two that followed that were just really disappointing. Two of the original members left before the second album because did not like what was going on. There was a British band Blitz.....great first album and then they kind of split up---two leaving, two staying and the second album kind of sucked for pretty much the same reasons.

I have the more Englishfied version of Reilly's surname. There was a documentary video made by the Defects--another Belfast punk band from the early 80's. It's on YouTube. They were from the protestant side of the road. They had made one lp and then went into hibernation for a bunch of years. But Reilly and Henry Cluney have quite a number of appearances in the documentary. In one Reilly and the singer from the Defects are in a taxi that stops at the Divis Towers and Reilly gets out and tells the story about how one night a British Saracen stopped in front of it and blasted it with machine gun bullets one of which killed his 9 year old cousin Patrick Rooney in his flat. They also stop at the Peace Wall on the Catholic side of Falls Road and Reilly goes over to a plaque there of his brother and tells the story he told you. I do have the Defects first album too.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m seeing Pepper, Iration, Artificial Sound System tomorrow night, Green Day with Rancid on Aug 5, New Found Glory on Aug 21, Ballyhoo! on Sept 8.

Reactions: LokiDog

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
First time I watched a Kneecap video I laughed my ass off. The guy who does their music (the guy from Derry) goes by the name DJ Provai and is wearing an Irish Flag balaclava most of the time. I was like f*** that's pretty funny.

Red Rockers first album Condition Red is terrific. They were from Louisiana. I'm pretty sure a New Orleans punk band. By the time Jim Reilly showed up to play for them they'd gone all New Wavy. I really liked their first album. The two that followed that were just really disappointing. Two of the original members left before the second album because did not like what was going on. There was a British band Blitz.....great first album and then they kind of split up---two leaving, two staying and the second album kind of sucked for pretty much the same reasons.

I have the more Englishfied version of Reilly's surname. There was a documentary video made by the Defects--another Belfast punk band from the early 80's. It's on YouTube. They were from the protestant side of the road. They had made one lp and then went into hibernation for a bunch of years. But Reilly and Henry Cluney have quite a number of appearances in the documentary. In one Reilly and the singer from the Defects are in a taxi that stops at the Divis Towers and Reilly gets out and tells the story about how one night a British Saracen stopped in front of it and blasted it with machine gun bullets one of which killed his 9 year old cousin Patrick Rooney in his flat. They also stop at the Peace Wall on the Catholic side of Falls Road and Reilly goes over to a plaque there of his brother and tells the story he told you. I do have the Defects first album too.
Yeah. I loved the Red Rockers. I have the early records. The single is super rare and that Condition Red LP is amazing. It was recently reissued. Their Good as Gold record was NOT good. Hahaha. But live they still kicked ass, by the time the third came out I was done. Hahaha. Yeah Jim was their second drummer. He told me there’s an EP that sounds like the first LP that was never released. They found the tapes in Sandy Perlman’s estate. Supposedly it’s going to be released. They did a reunion in NOLA last summer.
Love that Defects first record, but they’re all pretty good. What’s the name of the documentary? BTW Jim Reilly can be one of the funniest people on earth.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah. I loved the Red Rockers. I have the early records. The single is super rare and that Condition Red LP is amazing. It was recently reissued. Their Good as Gold record was NOT good. Hahaha. But live they still kicked ass, by the time the third came out I was done. Hahaha. Yeah Jim was their second drummer. He told me there’s an EP that sounds like the first LP that was never released. They found the tapes in Sandy Perlman’s estate. Supposedly it’s going to be released. They did a reunion in NOLA last summer.
Love that Defects first record, but they’re all pretty good. What’s the name of the documentary? BTW Jim Reilly can be one of the funniest people on earth.

Made in Belfast. A punk documentary from BUTTZ TV

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Pepper, Iration, Artikal Sound System, and DENM were amazing on Sunday. I posted what I can to my fb. Kaleo took my phone while I was streaming and filmed the crowd. Pretty cool moment. Love those reggae bands that are talented. When Pepper mentioned Warped Tour, it made me miss Warped Tour even more than I already did. Fun times. Green Day Aug 5, New Found Glory Aug 21, Ballyhoo! Sept 8. Still trying for Pennywise, Rise Against, Rivals, Four Year Strong once I see if I have days off to use lmfao

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

This is 1000% better than Opeth's version.

I don't wanna sit here and shit on them because Mikael is doing what he wants to do, and he owes nothing to anybody, but damn does this make me miss Opeth.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Wait a minute… with all the edgy metal heads and Tool fans, etc. on this sub… no one likes Sleep Token?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad