OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
f*** i just saw that Powerwolf and Desert Fest are on the same day.

Attachments

• DF-NY2-daysplit-layers-731x1024.png
    DF-NY2-daysplit-layers-731x1024.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Just bought tickets the other night to another show, which brings my end-of-year show total to 5 (Aug-Oct). I always seem to load up toward the end of the year.

King Giz @ Forest Hills - 3 hour marathon set. Cannot express how amped I am for this show
Crumb @ Toad's
Idles @ Forest Hills
Fontaines DC @ Brooklyn Paramount - One of my current favorite bands, this show is on my birthday. Also cannot express how excited I am for this one
Osees @ Warsaw

I really f***ing hate going to shows in Brooklyn, but Fontaines and The Osees are beyond worth the trek.

For anyone in the NY area, what are you favorite NY venues? Forest Hills and Jones Beach are terrific for the amphitheater atmosphere. I went to a really cool spot last year called The Knockdown Center in Brooklyn, they had both indoor and outdoor stages and it was just a fun place to be at. I remember liking Irving Plaza, but I think it was just because I had VIP/balcony tickets and wasn't smushed in GA. I always wish I was older when CBGB's was around just to have gone there.

It's changed so much over the last 25 years probably because the bands I listen to are for an older demographic (35-60).

I'd say as of now The Paramount in Brooklyn is the most active venue. It has the size of Hammerstein but with a design like the Capital or Kings (late 1800s).

It was St. Vitus in Brooklyn which is a metal venue/bar, but their future is in doubt after someone brought attention to the building not observing health codes/ordinances/fire hazards/etc. It's a long story and I heard the real reason through the underground metal community but it's not worth getting into. They've been "presenting" shows all spring summer but have not reopened and may not be able to.

The Capital Theater in Port Chester and The Paramount in Huntington are both excellent. I give the edge to the Capital for the acts and the Paramount for the area/stuff to do (Port Chester has plenty but there's a little more walking involved, in Huntington it's right next to the venue).

I used to go to Music Hall of Williamsburg (FKA North Six) and Bowery Ballroom a lot but it seems those venues have changed their acts and maybe I've aged out of the modern indie scene. I was at Bowery last summer seeing Voivod which was a great show. Irving Plaza is ye ole reliable for older punk shows and 90s alternative artists who never hit the bigtime for more than 15 minutes.

Brooklyn Steel is pretty solid as a not so tiny but not huge venue, and Terminal 5 is hit or miss depending on when you get there.

That's about it, I personally try and stay away from larger venue or amphitheater shows unless it's like a Red Hot Chili Peppers/Metallica e.g. one of the main bands I've grown up with.

I might see Jane's Addiction in September because the original lineup is back together. I'm not a fan of going to the Garden for shows (I don't like the acoustics) but Duran Duran is doing a Halloween show and it's a bucket list thing to see them.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't have all their records but I do have In my eyes and Out of Step both of which I got at Bleecker Bob's I believe sometime around 1981/82/83. I was in the Coast Guard back then.
I went to NYU from '80-84, so I made the record store rounds just about every day. Bought a LOT of records at Bleeker Bob's and ate almost every day at Ben's that pizzeria that was right on the corner where they were.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I went to NYU from '80-84, so I made the record store rounds just about every day. Bought a LOT of records at Bleeker Bob's and ate almost every day at Ben's that pizzeria that was right on the corner where they were.

When I was stationed on Governor's Island that was my go to record store by far. Remember the pizza place and the Chinese restaurant across the street from that that I ate at a couple times. For punk rock music that was the best place that I ever found anyway. It sucked up a lot of my extra cash. I don't have everything I use to have but I still have a lot of it.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
When I was stationed on Governor's Island that was my go to record store by far. Remember the pizza place and the Chinese restaurant across the street from that that I ate at a couple times. For punk rock music that was the best place that I ever found anyway. It sucked up a lot of my extra cash. I don't have everything I use to have but I still have a lot of it.
Nice. There were a lot of good record stores in the general area From Midnight Records up on 23rd St to Freebeing over on 2nd Ave by St Marks Pl. But really close to Bob's was Ratcage for a whlie, right around the corner, Record Runner was like right on the other side of 6th Ave and Venus was upstairs on 8th St. Ratcage was also a label, they put out Agnostic Front's first record, Beastie Boys' first couple (when they were still a punk band), Heart Attack, Young and the Useless, and more. And I still have all of those records.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nice. There were a lot of good record stores in the general area From Midnight Records up on 23rd St to Freebeing over on 2nd Ave by St Marks Pl. But really close to Bob's was Ratcage for a whlie, right around the corner, Record Runner was like right on the other side of 6th Ave and Venus was upstairs on 8th St. Ratcage was also a label, they put out Agnostic Front's first record, Beastie Boys' first couple (when they were still a punk band), Heart Attack, Young and the Useless, and more. And I still have all of those records.

To me the Bad Brains were the best United States punk band going. An NYC band I really liked was Kraut. I still have the ROIR cassette tape NY Thrash that had the Bad Brains, Beastie Boys, Kraut, Adrenalin OD and several other bands on it. The original Bad Brains album was only on ROIR cassette. Went through a couple of those. Now I have it in vinyl. I liked a lot of British punk bands and they tended to be a bit more melodic. The Ruts, Stranglers, UK Subs etc. Some anarcho punk too--Crass the Subhumans. The Fall weren't really punk but I was a big fan. West Coast from Vancouver D.O.A. southern Cal--Agent Orange, Angry Samoans---there were a bunch. I got out in 1985 and returned upstate and since then I've pretty much only bought music sporadically. Most people my age who got into punk rock were also grounded in 60's/70's music of all types......it's like you carry all this stuff in your head. It's like you know a billion songs by a million bands. That's what time does.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
To me the Bad Brains were the best United States punk band going. An NYC band I really liked was Kraut. I still have the ROIR cassette tape NY Thrash that had the Bad Brains, Beastie Boys, Kraut, Adrenalin OD and several other bands on it. The original Bad Brains album was only on ROIR cassette. Went through a couple of those. Now I have it in vinyl. I liked a lot of British punk bands and they tended to be a bit more melodic. The Ruts, Stranglers, UK Subs etc. Some anarcho punk too--Crass the Subhumans. The Fall weren't really punk but I was a big fan. West Coast from Vancouver D.O.A. southern Cal--Agent Orange, Angry Samoans---there were a bunch. I got out in 1985 and returned upstate and since then I've pretty much only bought music sporadically. Most people my age who got into punk rock were also grounded in 60's/70's music of all types......it's like you carry all this stuff in your head. It's like you know a billion songs by a million bands. That's what time does.
Nice. I still have those ROIR cassettes somewhere. Bad Brains were certainly more proficient than most other punk bands. I saw them many times. I saw all of those bands a lot. LOVED Ramones as well. I pretty much lived in the punk clubs back then. I’m still friends with guys from Adrenalin OD and some others from the old NY/NJ punk scene and keep in touch with Dougie from KRAUT on Facebook. He mostly lives upstate now too. The band I’m in just played a show with Murphy’s Law last month. I still have all of those old records too. West Coast bands I loved a lot of the Dangerhouse stuff Dils, X and such. DKs, Canadian Subhumans. CRIME. Geez the list goes on. Still go see Agent Orange when they come around. DOA is coming around soon with FEAR. I’ve seen all of these bands a LOT. Haha. My avatar is a picture of me with Lee Ving from FEAR taken backstage at a show in Asbury. My friends Nervous Triggers opened for them. Playing with Nervous Triggers a week from tonight in Keyport.
THE UK bands I liked most were Clash and Stiff Little Fingers. Went to Belfast to catch SLF last summer. BUT of course Pistols and lots of others as well. Was a HUGE Angry Samoans fan too. I’m still in touch with Greg on Facebook. Loved a lot of SoCal stuff too, besides Agent Orange. Black Flag, social Distortion Bad Religion, The Jones’s… Also was into some EURO bands like Raw Power and some Aussie bands like the Saints, Eastern Dark, Radio Birdman and Hard-ons.
Geez, it’s like memory lane! Thanks!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nice. I still have those ROIR cassettes somewhere. Bad Brains were certainly more proficient than most other punk bands. I saw them many times. I saw all of those bands a lot. LOVED Ramones as well. I pretty much lived in the punk clubs back then. I’m still friends with guys from Adrenalin OD and some others from the old NY/NJ punk scene and keep in touch with Dougie from KRAUT on Facebook. He mostly lives upstate now too. The band I’m in just played a show with Murphy’s Law last month. I still have all of those old records too. West Coast bands I loved a lot of the Dangerhouse stuff Dils, X and such. DKs, Canadian Subhumans. CRIME. Geez the list goes on. Still go see Agent Orange when they come around. DOA is coming around soon with FEAR. I’ve seen all of these bands a LOT. Haha. My avatar is a picture of me with Lee Ving from FEAR taken backstage at a show in Asbury. My friends Nervous Triggers opened for them. Playing with Nervous Triggers a week from tonight in Keyport.
THE UK bands I liked most were Clash and Stiff Little Fingers. Went to Belfast to catch SLF last summer. BUT of course Pistols and lots of others as well. Was a HUGE Angry Samoans fan too. I’m still in touch with Greg on Facebook. Loved a lot of SoCal stuff too, besides Agent Orange. Black Flag, social Distortion Bad Religion, The Jones’s… Also was into some EURO bands like Raw Power and some Aussie bands like the Saints, Eastern Dark, Radio Birdman and Hard-ons.
Geez, it’s like memory lane! Thanks!

SLF was a very important band for me too. Ancestors on my father's side go back to County Down in Ulster. SLF were two protestants and two catholics at a time when the bombs and shootings were happening and the two sides mixing like that was something that just didn't happen with the separation of the communities. That first LP of theirs was like a bomb.....an angry adrenaline rush.

With punk bands I usually like bands first records more than later ones......what they might lack in production or chops they more than make up for with immediacy and rawness. It's why for me for instance the Clash's first LP blows away anything else they ever did. It's them at their most I don't give a shit which is kind of what punk rock is all about. It's not meant to be nice....meant to be clean. When a band gets more refined.....more proficient some of that gets lost and even in the lyrics. For me the Ruts were something like the Clash only better. Their singer died very young from an overdose and that kind of silenced them.

Speaking of the Canadian version of The Subhumans that use to trade members with D.O.A....their original guitarist went away to prison for several years for his part in a bombing of a Canadian military industrial plant.

X was a great band too. They had musical chops that a lot of other punk bands around them just didn't. Their earliest records are their best though too. Social Distortion early on combined a more rootsy R&R vibe that reaches back into the 50's/60's with punk and they're very easy to like even today. I have the first Bad Religion Lp's. The DK's Fresh Fruit LP before the lawsuit that forced them to clip all the heads off the lounge band on the back cover. I first heard Back from Samoa by the angry samoans as I walked through the door at Bleecker Bob's. I had no idea who they were but I had to have it. One of the funniest records ever.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
SLF was a very important band for me too. Ancestors on my father's side go back to County Down in Ulster. SLF were two protestants and two catholics at a time when the bombs and shootings were happening and the two sides mixing like that was something that just didn't happen with the separation of the communities. That first LP of theirs was like a bomb.....an angry adrenaline rush.

With punk bands I usually like bands first records more than later ones......what they might lack in production or chops they more than make up for with immediacy and rawness. It's why for me for instance the Clash's first LP blows away anything else they ever did. It's them at their most I don't give a shit which is kind of what punk rock is all about. It's not meant to be nice....meant to be clean. When a band gets more refined.....more proficient some of that gets lost and even in the lyrics. For me the Ruts were something like the Clash only better. Their singer died very young from an overdose and that kind of silenced them.

Speaking of the Canadian version of The Subhumans that use to trade members with D.O.A....their original guitarist went away to prison for several years for his part in a bombing of a Canadian military industrial plant.

X was a great band too. They had musical chops that a lot of other punk bands around them just didn't. Their earliest records are their best though too. Social Distortion early on combined a more rootsy R&R vibe that reaches back into the 50's/60's with punk and they're very easy to like even today. I have the first Bad Religion Lp's. The DK's Fresh Fruit LP before the lawsuit that forced them to clip all the heads off the lounge band on the back cover. I first heard Back from Samoa by the angry samoans as I walked through the door at Bleecker Bob's. I had no idea who they were but I had to have it. One of the funniest records ever.
Yeah. Agreed on a lot of that.
SLF are still amazing. Doing their farewell tour still I think. My dads family is off the boat from Belfast, I actually have dual American and Irish citizenship.
A huge band for me that I didn’t mention before was Zero Boys. Indiana band.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah. Agreed on a lot of that. SLF are still amazing. Doing their farewell tour still, I think. My dad's family is off the boat from Belfast, I actually have dual American and Irish citizenship. ...

My son's name is Sean Patrick. This band is as good as white boys get.

Reactions: bhamill

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah. Agreed on a lot of that.
SLF are still amazing. Doing their farewell tour still I think. My dads family is off the boat from Belfast, I actually have dual American and Irish citizenship.
A huge band for me that I didn’t mention before was Zero Boys. Indiana band.

Speaking of Belfast--the group Kneecap (two from the Falls Road and the other from Derry) who rap in a mix of Irish and English....more often than not it seems more Irish than English (and I don't speak Irish) and they're very good and the bits in English sometimes hilarious and often political. They've had a running battle with DUP politicians ever since they started. They kind of see themselves as Irish language ambassadors.

I've seen SLF twice and Jake Burns on his own doing an acoustic set once.....that was at a Dropkicks/Flogging Molly concert.

There were so many. I have an idea you have a more extensive record collection and knowledge on the subject than I do. Well I got that almost right off.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I just wish @eco's bones would check out the best NYC punk band, @bhamill 's Goddamn Wrecks . Here's a link to their album Empty Bottles, Reckless Hearts by Goddamn Wrecks . If you forget this post, there's a link in my sig and in my profile website. Their album title is also in my user title.

@bhamill If you're not on a cell phone and can see guy's sigs (there's a setting under Preferences), check out the handsome man in my sig image.
Thank you buddy. That’s very kind.
I’m not sure what an sig image is. Hahaha. But I can see your profile picture/avatar (or is that what sig image is?) matches your name!
Went and saw the Deadpool Wolverine movie yesterday. It’s HYSTERICAL.

• Love
Reactions: Ben Grimm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad