Speculation: “We may very well be in a rebuild in the direction we’re going." - Rutherford

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The concussions become less of an issue because of games played? I don't even care about your part of whether Petterson is proven or not, the fact that you think Byrams head injuries somehow get better because of games played is insane. That's not how brain injuries work. You're always the smartest guy around here, according to yourself, yet you think brain injuries simply get better with more games played. Right.
1666590693239.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: AvStock

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Miller's NMC and 7 year deal kicks in next year, I wonder if they dump him for whatever they can without significant term if this continues and admit a mistake.

Miller’s NMC is already in effect, it’s retroactive.

edit: Ah, didn't realize they delayed the NMC. Very unusual for that to happen.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
this is true, he could die tomorrow laying in bed, an aneurism could pop and thats the end, or he could live to be 102, We just dont know enough about the brain to be certain of anything, there are newer tools than even elecroencephalograms that can give us a better idea of whats going on, but the brain is still the biggest mystery in science,

There have been coma patients who suddenly wake up after 10 years and suffer nothing more than muscular atrophy and even that has been reduced by manual PT sessions but its still an inexact science
All we know is that over time, health always improves. That's what Dr.Oz told me and 3 million patients can't be wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Ok............just curious on a rebuild

value wise.....................

Pettersson, Demko and Rathbone to Columbus for Sillinger, Jiricek and Mateychuk
Hughes to NJ for Siegenthaler, Holtz and a 2022-1st
Horvat to Winnipeg for Dubois (both players sign new long term deals)
Miller to Boston for 2022 -1st
Garland to Washington for Eller, 2022-2nd and 2022-2nd
Boeser 50% retained to NYI for 2022-2nd and 2023-2nd
It would be hard moving all those 2022 draft picks, since that draft is over and done.

Miller’s NMC is already in effect, it’s retroactive.
Source?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
No it's not.

Maybe he meant his play gives him a retroactive NTC. :sarcasm:

I can't see a single team wanting Miller at that contract until he's 38.

It was obvious to most people that last year was an outlier for offensive stats. It was the highest GPG since the early 90s after two half seasons. Guys came in rested except Tampa.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ottawa will take Horvat off your hands for a 2024 2nd and Lassi Thomson RD. I realize Canucks fans will think Horvat is worth the moon but he’d be a 3rd line centre in Ottawa while Norris is out.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I will say this to all of the depressed Canucks fans - again, I don't think you have a bad roster with bad players. It's just that something in the mix isn't right. You see it, the team sees it, JR sees it. Fortunately, if there's one thing that Rutherford is good at is making a handful of swaps that have the potential to turn things around.

2015 Penguins:
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessell
Kunitz-Bonino-Dupuis
Bennett-Cullen-Fehr

Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Dumoulin-Cole

MAF-Zatkoff

Coach - Mike Johnston

And they were abysmal up until late-Dec/early Jan.

2016 Cup team:
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Fehr

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Lovejoy-Schultz

Murray-MAF

Coach - Mike Sullivan

Rutherford was able to make a series of trades that manifested into a formidable team:
Perron for Hagelin
Scuderi for Daley
Schultz for a 3rd
Sutter for Bonino, Kessel for a package in the off-season.

So you do have a guy that is capable and more importantly - WILLING - to make moves that can fix the team. Not sure what that's worth but there's my two sense. Worth what you paid for it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
but there is only 32 teams in the league so being 32nd or better definitively makes them a #1C
There's a bare minimum level of quality a 1c needs to meet to be a 1c, otherwise what they are is promoted out of their depth by default, not bc they're actually good enough to be a 1c.

If there are only 25 C who meet that bare minimum level of play then the guys ranked 26-32 aren't automatically 1c quality.

If the league were expanded to 40 teams, the guys who previously weren't 1c quality aren't magically now good enough to warrant being called 1 c. They'd just be possibly pushed into a 1c role they aren't good enough for. And that assumes you don't have multiple 1c on a single team, like Pitts has had for ages.

Considering the context of that discussion, this does need to be taken into account instead of just saying "he's a proven top line center." Bc that line clearly is supposed to indicate his quality. It is not supposed to be a technicality that hes a 1c on a team simply by default bc the pool is too shallow for every team to have a guy truly good enough for the role

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
anyone who gvies up a first for Boeser RIGHT NOW is certifiably insane, the Islanders were seriously considering a trade for him before the Trade deadline last year and their scouts came back to Lamouriello and advised against it. the consensus was that his injuries have left him tentative and fearful on the ice,,,,Watch him play and make your own opinion.

the man is only 27 and was a great scorer, but now he is a step slow. I really hope he can find himself again, but I fear he may be out of the league by the time he's 30, its truly sad, but watch him yourself, something isnt right. What it is, no one can say, he's still a young man but theres more than Just a slump at play here.

They say its a hand injury, but how does that affect his skating? he's just not moving well. Some say his Dad passing away has left him mournful and unmotivated, ad that could certainly be the case, but give it awhile before you trade a 1st for him, let him return to form before you jump the gun. Thinking about it more, it’s probably just losing his dad, I know when my Dad passed I went into a funk for a few months before I snapped out of it. Why should he be any different than the rest of us?

I personally think Boeser will be fine. While I haven't been overly impressed by his play to start the year, it hasn't been due to an inability to skate. There have actually been a few occurrences where I have actually been very impressed by Boeser's skating ability this season, at least in comparison to the bar that he has previously set.

The guy missed most of training camp, and the team is off to a bad start. His play will level out, as will the rest of the team.

Another thing, Boeser is actually only 25 years old. And, despite injuries, he has always been a lock for 20-25 goals even with missing games. It's tough to find players that can put the puck in the net with consistency, and Boeser has managed to do that consistently over his entire career. I don't think he's falling off at age 25, so I really don't think any team that elected to acquire him would be regretful of that decision, assuming they were acquiring him for the traits that he has already shown vs. any form of progression.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Everyone is overreacting. Demko is playing his worst hockey he ever has. As soon as Demko returns half his usual form, Canucks will start winning games.

Not many games though, because Hughes is out and this defence is dead last. Even with them they are still probably bottom 5-7

Edit - Miller is also playing negative right now
But Vancouver is rebuilding. You need an awful goalie to help with that. We'll be good rivals and take Demko off your hands. 😉

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
2 years of Pettersson at $5.35m ($2m retained) + 1 more RFA year.

1 year of Byram on ELC + 4 RFA years.

What's the gap in value there?

And secondly, what's the gap in value between Compher ($3.5mx1 then UFA, can be flipped at deadline) and Hoglander (1 year ElC + 4 RFA years).
If Vancouver management traded EP retained and Hoglander for an expiring JTC and Byram they should lose the right to buy tickets to an NHL game. Thats how poor that deal is for Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad