Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
giphy.gif
LOL

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Laine didn't have a great game, but he still scored their only goal, which gave them a chance in the final minute. That's a perfect example of how guys like him, Tarasenko, Kane, etc are so valuable. They can be invisible all game but capitalize on the one thing they do right the entire night. He got destroyed on the NBC broadcast, but I didn't think his play was much worse than about half of Winnipeg's roster.

I can't help but laugh when Roenick is blasting him for a 6 game goal drought when he has a 4 game point streak going. We might be setting expectations a tad high for a guy who just turned 20.
Roenick is a horse's ass. I only like him better than Milbury because he's a goofball rather than a sour-puss

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The more I watch these games, the more I appreciate Kerbs, Chase, Kelly, and Pang

I watch the CBC/Sportsnet broadcasts usually, but have had to watch the last couple nights on NBC. Has it been this bad all playoffs? I almost forgot how much I hate Pierre until he said, "Robert Orr" when they showed him pumping the crowd up. At a certain point, you're just saying people's names differently for the sake of being different. I can tolerate 'Kristopher Letang', but Robert Orr crossed the line by about a mile for me. He's one of the greatest players of all time and I've never heard a single person refer to him as anything other than Bobby. His name is engraved on the Cup as Bobby Orr.

Man this post got away from me.

TLDR: NBC's hockey coverage is garbage.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I watch the CBC/Sportsnet broadcasts usually, but have had to watch the last couple nights on NBC. Has it been this bad all playoffs? I almost forgot how much I hate Pierre until he said, "Robert Orr" when they showed him pumping the crowd up. At a certain point, you're just saying people's names differently for the sake of being different. I can tolerate 'Kristopher Letang', but Robert Orr crossed the line by about a mile for me. He's one of the greatest players of all time and I've never heard a single person refer to him as anything other than Bobby. His name is engraved on the Cup as Bobby Orr.

Man this post got away from me.

TLDR: NBC's hockey coverage is garbage.

I find the East Coast NBC team (Doc, Pierre, Milbury, etc) to be the worst. NBCs West Coast team (I forget their names) is better, but I think that now we are in the 2nd round we are stuck mostly with the East Coast broadcast team. NBC must think Pierre and Doc are their A team. Boy, that's sad.

NBC also has a woman on now who I've never heard before. She's not terrible, she's just average and repeats a lot of common sense stuff. My beef with her (really more with NBC decision makers) is that they have obviously inserted her in there ahead of a lot of more experienced folks (like Pang and other local/national broadcasting talent) because they want to have a woman there. Like this will translate into more female viewers or they get bonus points for being PC or something. The woman I think played at the collegiate and Olympic levels, so she's not dumb. To me it's about getting the best folks for the job and not pushing agendas. Pierre and Doc are on the other side of the spectrum...it's all about seniority rather than quality or knowledge (a good old boy issue)

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I find the East Coast NBC team (Doc, Pierre, Milbury, etc) to be the worst. NBCs West Coast team (I forget their names) is better, but I think that now we are in the 2nd round we are stuck mostly with the East Coast broadcast team. NBC must think Pierre and Doc are their A team. Boy, that's sad.

NBC also has a woman on now who I've never heard before. She's not terrible, she's just average and repeats a lot of common sense stuff. My beef with her (really more with NBC decision makers) is that they have obviously inserted her in there ahead of a lot of more experienced folks (like Pang and other local/national broadcasting talent) because they want to have a woman there. Like this will translate into more female viewers or they get bonus points for being PC or something. The woman I think played at the collegiate and Olympic levels, so she's not dumb. To me it's about getting the best folks for the job and not pushing agendas. Pierre and Doc are on the other side of the spectrum...it's all about seniority rather than quality or knowledge (a good old boy issue)

I like Doc, but not as an every night guy. There is a flow to his calls that I enjoy, but not for every single game I watch.

I didn't mind the new woman in the couple times I've heard her. You're correct that she isn't providing anything groundbreaking, but I think she does a good job at choosing what simple things to focus on. I think she is a good fit to provide explanations casual to moderate fan group. I didn't learn anything listening to her, but my completely hockey-illiterate buddy seemed to get more out of her than anyone else. A couple of her segments led to something 'clicking' in his head and him asking me some follow up questions about the game.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
There’s been a big uptick this playoffs of people throwing trash and other crap on the ice after a call by the refs they disagree with. League has to do something. It’s pathetic and I hope it stops spreading

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Marchand is an idiot.

It’s a shame because otherwise, Boston is fun to watch. Them vs Winnipeg I feel would be an awesome Final.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like Doc, but not as an every night guy. There is a flow to his calls that I enjoy, but not for every single game I watch.

I didn't mind the new woman in the couple times I've heard her. You're correct that she isn't providing anything groundbreaking, but I think she does a good job at choosing what simple things to focus on. I think she is a good fit to provide explanations casual to moderate fan group. I didn't learn anything listening to her, but my completely hockey-illiterate buddy seemed to get more out of her than anyone else. A couple of her segments led to something 'clicking' in his head and him asking me some follow up questions about the game.
I still like Joe Micheletti. Heck, I wish he was still on Blues telecasts.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The best part is when the "you suck" chant was interrupted with that 2nd Jets goal. The entire stadium went from mid chant to completely silent.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
All this licking by Marchand is getting out of control.

David Backes needs to set set that guy straight.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Backed down heavily. Clean hit, but looks like heads might hit and when Backes fall down his neck snap and there was clearly whiplash to head/neck.

When Backes was helped in the locker room, his face looked just like when Seabrook hit him couple years back. "not in this day".

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Vegas rolling.

Good to see #75 out there finally.

You can tell he’s the slowest guy on that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad