Post-Game Talk: Ã‡a sent la coupe, habs/Price win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Hard to improve quality of play beyond a 110 season with the kind of lineup we have. You people have unrealistic expectations. Any "improvement" that doesnt include acquiring talent would be vastly subjective and would most likely not translate into more success in the W/L collumn.

what's unrealistic about wanting a team that plays entertaining brand of hockey ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So Tampa, NYR, and ANH have **** systems.
Kthxbye.

at least TB and ANH are ENTERTAINING, fun to watch.

and huh, while they didnt win it, both TB and NYR made it to the SCF once in the last 3 seasons.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The numbers say we did not miss the playoffs so i'm really not sure what you're talking about. (and before you bring them up, it's a figure of speech, i do know that you're talking about adv. stats. The point is hard fact >>> adv. stats).
Dude, wins and losses are stats just like advanced ones are. The micro numbers help to explain the macro ones. And what we've seen is a team that depends way too much on goaltending, just like we saw again the other night.

So I'm not sure what the heck you're saying when you say one fact is worth more than another...
Hard to improve quality of play beyond a 110 season with the kind of lineup we have. You people have unrealistic expectations. Any "improvement" that doesnt include acquiring talent would be vastly subjective and would most likely not translate into more success in the W/L collumn.
You dodged the question.

Please explain how Therrien is responsible for the 110 point record when the numbers show that we haven't played well and have relied on our goalie.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You dodged the question.

110 points is not necessarily an indication of good play, it is simply another stat. Please explain how Therrien is responsible for the record when the numbers show that we haven't played well and have relied on our goalie.

You have the patience of a monk.

The Therrien debates have boiled down to "the record" for what, 3 years now? The same arguments have been rehashed a countless amount of time, and 3 years later, people still use "the record" and refuse to take into account any context whatsoever in their reasoning, if you could even call it that.

That debate has no end. At this point, if someone doesn't show at least the ability to nuance his point of view, whether he agrees or not with the notion that Therrien is a bad coach, he doesn't really deserve the kind of attention some of them get on this board.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Dude, wins and losses are stats just like advanced ones are. The micro numbers help to explain the macro ones. And what we've seen is a team that depends way too much on goaltending, just like we saw again the other night.

So I'm not sure what the heck you're saying when you say one fact is worth more than another...

You dodged the question.

Please explain how Therrien is responsible for the 110 point record when the numbers show that we haven't played well and have relied on our goalie.

A coach is indissociable from the record of his team. It's just how sports works. You can do as many mental gymnastics as you want, that's the cold hard fact.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
at least TB and ANH are ENTERTAINING, fun to watch.

and huh, while they didnt win it, both TB and NYR made it to the SCF once in the last 3 seasons.

Stop moving the post. What did they win?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

actually YOU are the one being dishonest and moving the posts as my initial reply to the guy was about realist/entertainment.

the guy replyed that a WINNING team wouldnt change it's system to please the fans or something...

So, since MT is not going to change the system to make the team more entertaining cause Habs are a WINNING team, then it begs the Question : what have we won under MT ?

cause you know, that's THE reason for not changing the system to a more entertaining one according to this guy...

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
so did a lot of teams.

So again, what makes Habs team a "winning team" ? (that's what YOU called them remember ?)

regular season success ?

Yes, yes. I believe what makes a team a "winning" team is winning a lot (aka, the majority) of its games.

Also in other news, water is wet.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Carey Price is part of the team and part of the system. Again, indissociable.

Having Price is not a reason to have a very bad defensive structure and poor exit strategies (amongst other things) that directly lead to scoring chances against. Yes, he's part of the team, but people shouldn't give credit to the coaching staff for Price's stellar play if their system hurts more than it helps.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
actually YOU are the one being dishonest and moving the posts as my initial reply to the guy was about realist/entertainment.

the guy replyed that a WINNING team wouldnt change it's system to please the fans or something...

So, since MT is not going to change the system to make the team more entertaining cause Habs are a WINNING team, then it begs the Question : what have we won under MT ?

cause you know, that's THE reason for not changing the system to a more entertaining one according to this guy...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, yes. I believe what makes a team a "winning" team is winning a lot (aka, the majority) of its games.

Also in other news, water is wet.

Habs probably won more reg. season games than the Kings over the last 3 or 4 years you know...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Having Price is not a reason to have a very bad defensive structure and poor exit strategies (amongst other things) that directly lead to scoring chances against. Yes, he's part of the team, but people shouldn't give credit to the coaching staff for Price's stellar play if their system hurts more than it helps.

Actually, THIS reasoning is something I could totally agree with. I don't care with boring and I don't care with people spouting "DA RECORD", who's quickly becoming the new "DA RECORD"; I care about pathetic/inefficient zone entries/zone exits. It was particularily painful on the PP last season.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually, THIS reasoning is something I could totally agree with. I don't care with boring and I don't care with people spouting "DA RECORD", who's quickly becoming the new "DA RECORD"; I care about pathetic/inefficient zone entries/zone exits. It was particularily painful on the PP last season.

why would you, we're no worse than the teams you named right ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A coach is indissociable from the record of his team. It's just how sports works. You can do as many mental gymnastics as you want, that's the cold hard fact.
This is an intellectually lazy argument and not close to being true.

If a coach sits back and lets his goalie win games all the while having a bad system, he's still a crappy coach no matter what the team's record is.
Carey Price is part of the team and part of the system. Again, indissociable.
Price IS the system. We get outplayed and have him stop the puck.

So why should we credit the coach? He has nothing to do with the goalie. Price has his own coach.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
This is an intellectually lazy argument and not close to being true.

If a coach sits back and lets his goalie win games all the while having a bad system, he's still a crappy coach no matter what the team's record is.

Price IS the system. We get outplayed and have him stop the puck.

So why should we credit the coach? He has nothing to do with the goalie. Price has his own coach.

Don't say things are or aren't true... when they're subjective.

And it's rich that you speak of intellectual laziness..... when you say Price is 100% responsible for everything.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't say things are or aren't true... when they're subjective.
There's nothing subjective about it. A coach can be measured on more than just his record. That's a fact. His position that we can only measure a coach by his record is factually incorrect.
And it's rich that you speak of intellectual laziness..... when you say Price is 100% responsible for everything.
I've never said this. I've said we've depended on him far too much and that we'd never make it without his stellar play.

I've explicitly said that no player does it all by himself but we are dependent on him to a far greater extent than other contenders rely on any one single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad