Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This kid has massively jumped 3 different levels in the past 3 years and not only held his own, but far exceeded it. If you take him, I would keep him another year in NCAA to finally get use to a level a second year. It's amazing to see what he's doing. I get the questions surrounding him but I also am higher on him than most. I think his floor is Seth Jones which is who he reminds me of right now. The upside is ridiculous, but we'll see if he can think the game enough to reach it.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This is my guy at #2. Elite hockey sense, has the hands, vision, skill and compete (the latter is rare for a Russian forward). He has great edge work in his skating but not great straight line speed. Not a fan of the 10/2 skating style but it ain't a death sentence either (Alex Vlasic also skates 10/2). What I like about him is he actually gives a shit on the defensive end. I hope he gets loaned out or sticks with a KHL club next season, dominates then gives them the middle finger and comes over in 2025.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
This kid has massively jumped 3 different levels in the past 3 years and not only held his own, but far exceeded it. If you take him, I would keep him another year in NCAA to finally get use to a level a second year. It's amazing to see what he's doing. I get the questions surrounding him but I also am higher on him than most. I think his floor is Seth Jones which is who he reminds me of right now. The upside is ridiculous, but we'll see if he can think the game enough to reach it.
Completely agree with your view on keeping him in the NCAA. I think he can win the Hobey Baker next year. Most elite D prospects have done two years in the NCAA before the jump to NHL

The whole Seth Jones comparison might scare some people. Fine with that. Jones is overpaid a bit but he’s a horse. I’ve also seen Alex Petroangelo as a comparison. If we can get either of those and have a number one D for the next 15 years plus figured out I will be thrilled. Having a number one D and C for the 2020s and 2030s figured out would ensure this team has another decade plus of contending when the window opens in 3 years or so. If he hits, he can be a Drew Doughty level talent on the backend.

This draft reminds me of 2008. Stamkos Doughty Bogosian Petro and Luke Schenn as the top 5. Strong on D and one sure fire franchise C at the top of the draft. A dynamic Russian talent at forward.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Jones is garbage

Reactions: statswatcher

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I haven't even voted on my own poll yet.

I'm really torn between Silayev and Iginla.

Silayev has by far the most upside available. Chara 2.0? Sign me up!

But Iginla is just the most likeable guy available. Always improving, very young, gamer, perfect wingman for Bedard. He's just a guy you want wearing a Blackhawks jersey. I love his fit on this roster.

Unless Silayey really develops offensively he’s likely to be another Alex Vlasic

Would be a hell of a player, but not sure a guy with that offence is ever a true number one.

Iginla is gonna be a hell of a player. I think anywhere outside of the top 3 he would be a great pick.

Reactions: Geoist

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Bobs list is comprised by speaking with 10 scouts. It’s the best we got but is far from a be all end all ranking.
Many have also said players 3 to 10 or even 12 are nearly interchangeable.
Scouts on the same team don’t always agree on a ranking. If you’re sold on Iginla you don’t risk dropping to 8th and he goes 7th.
IN THIS YEARS DRAFT, if you want him you take him.
Dickinson and Iginla are ranked 6th and 10th on MKenzie's list. I know that's not gospel but I find it hard to imagine CBJ, MTL, and Utah wouldn't want to trade up

Reactions: Muffinalt

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Catton is awesome. If he’s falling for some reason because he didn’t play u18s I’d move up to get him.

I think of the players in this range I would be most dissatisfied with Dickinson because it’s another bunt single, but this time at 2.

Was thinking about this scenario too. What would you give up to get Catton? Let’s say into the 10-13 range.

I doubt a couple 2nds would be enough. Would you part with the Toronto 1st next year? I probably would.

Walking away from this draft with Catton and one of Levshunov/Demidov would be unbelievable.

By the way, one of the russian journalists said there are rumors that Demidov definitely wants to play in North America as soon as possible.

That’s been the worst keep secret for months. There are other rumors now about him getting out of that final year.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Was thinking about this scenario too. What would you give up to get Catton? Let’s say into the 10-13 range.

I doubt a couple 2nds would be enough. Would you part with the Toronto 1st next year? I probably would.

Walking away from this draft with Catton and one of Levshunov/Demidov would be unbelievable.
Arizona traded up to 11 to select Conor Geekie in 2022. They sent Carolina's 1st-round pick (27th overall), a 2022 2nd-round pick (34th overall) and the Islanders' 2022 2nd-round pick (45th overall) to San Jose in exchange for 11. I don't think you'd need to give up the Toronto 1st as I feel like 20 and 34 would be enough to get up to that range

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Arizona traded up to 11 to select Conor Geekie in 2022. They sent Carolina's 1st-round pick (27th overall), a 2022 2nd-round pick (34th overall) and the Islanders' 2022 2nd-round pick (45th overall) to San Jose in exchange for 11. I don't think you'd need to give up the Toronto 1st as I feel like 20 and 34 would be enough to get up to that range
This team has so many holes you need all the picks you can get. SJ is doing a better rebuilding job than us.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This team has so many holes you need all the picks you can get. SJ is doing a better rebuilding job than us.
Why so negative?

I think it would take more for sure, considering the perceived drop in prospect quality from 10ish to 20.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
My minimally informed opinion: leaning Levshunov. I love the tools. Love the way he fills a need perfectly. Love the fact that he came to NA early and has progressed so well. Good young defenseman are always in demand, so no such thing as having too much of them. Can always be moved for forward help down the road.

Also, I know it doesn't often happen, but I do wonder if we might be willing to drop down a few spots with a team that is in love with Demidov.

Reactions: BHFAN92 and pvr

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The problem I have with Levshunov is he doesn't fill the need for a power play defenseman. I have heavy doubts he becomes a PP #1 guy and I don't think we have one of those in our system

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Prefer Demidov but I'll understand if they take Levshunov.

Passing on a Russian - who is on record as wanting to come over as soon as possible - simply for the Russian factor would be incredibly stupid
There is a lot at play with the "Russian Factor" lets stop pretending its just his KHL contract. His country is in an active HOT WAR and its expanding not contracting, The US has an embargo against Russia and all relations between countries is at all time high. Also lets not forget Michkov's father was literally murdered days after discussing his son going to play in the USA! People can pretend all they want but those are very real serious issues and I would not roll the dice on him while trying to build around Bedsy.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
It’s easier to find all types of wingers through trade or free agency. It’s next to impossible to find that big right handed dman in any scenario, even through the draft. This is that chance.

We can add the next Hossa, Sharp, Ladd, etc… through free agency over the next 1-3 years, or maybe using Allan or Kaiser as trade bait.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
When was the last time an MHL player got drafted this high? We don’t even have WJC to compare apples to apples. How strong is the MHL really? He might be better than Levshunov. Might. But the risks, positional scarcity and Levshunovs skill tip it pretty clearly for me.
Guess the Avs shouldn’t have drafted Makar since the AJHL is a bad league

Reactions: TLEH

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
There is a lot at play with the "Russian Factor" lets stop pretending its just his KHL contract. His country is in an active HOT WAR and its expanding not contracting, The US has an embargo against Russia and all relations between countries is at all time high. Also lets not forget Michkov's father was literally murdered days after discussing his son going to play in the USA! People can pretend all they want but those are very real serious issues and I would not roll the dice on him while trying to build around Bedsy.
Players are still coming over every year and only Fedotov has had a serious problem doing so, which wasn't solely because he wanted to come play in NA. I dislike the Russian government as much as anyone but what you're claiming about Michkov's dad is just baseless and reckless speculation. I will be upset if the Blackhawks Red Scare themselves out of who I believe is the best talent available (though I don't think that will actually be the deciding factor if they don't take Demidov)

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The problem I have with Levshunov is he doesn't fill the need for a power play defenseman. I have heavy doubts he becomes a PP #1 guy and I don't think we have one of those in our system
Is Rinzel that guy? Korchinski may turn into that guy.

I haven't even voted on my own poll yet.

I'm really torn between Silayev and Iginla.

Silayev has by far the most upside available. Chara 2.0? Sign me up!

But Iginla is just the most likeable guy available. Always improving, very young, gamer, perfect wingman for Bedard. He's just a guy you want wearing a Blackhawks jersey. I love his fit on this roster.
"Im different"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier