More MVP deserving: Kuch vs Mackinnon vs McDavid?

More MVP deserving?

• Nikita Kucherov

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • Nathan Mackinnon

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • Connor McDavid

Votes: 39 23.8%

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You don’t recall Brett Hull’s 1991 season? Because that’s what this is starting to look like except without 2 other players close to Gretzky in points

Of course I recall Brett Hull's season, but what about it?

Brett Hull won in 1991 the hart for a couple of reasons:

1. It was Gretzky. Voter fatigue played against Gretzky and his 163 points. If instead of Gretzky, it had been..... Recchi or Sakic with 163 points, good chance they beat out Hull and his 86 goals to Hart. Now maybe you say there's some parallel with Gretzky and McDavid being held to a higher standard by voters - but in 2024 there's not just McDavit, but also Kucherov and MacKinnon

2. Hull was clear #2 in points that year. With Matthews - there's still 5 guys ahead of him. He might reach top 5 in scoring by year end, but he almost for sure won't reach higher than 5

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Matthews winning the Hart just 2 years ago with 60 goals and 106 points (17 off 1st and in 6th place)

Some precedents to consider before that though as well:

91-Hull over Gretzky (32 point gap)
11-Perry over Daniel Sedin (6 point gap but also over a 6% differential for that season meanwhile only +5 in goals over 2nd)
13-Ovechkin ran away with the Hart in a shortened season because St. Louis and Stamkos were on same team, since could easily take out McDavid

*I did not mention Fedorov 94 because he was 10 points behind a Gretzky who didn't get a single vote due to his team's record and therefore Fedorov had a massive advantage there.

I like your examples, but I also think they have context to them that doesn’t really apply to the situation with Matthews. I’m going to add some of that context to get to my overall point. Edit: @bobholly39 covered some of this in the meantime.

Not saying Hull didn’t deserve it (really, I’m cool with it), but it’s worth noting that Gretzky was a 10 time finalist and 9 time winner with 8 Art Rosses up prior to that season. 1990-1991 had to have been more of the same to more than a few voters. I think it’s remarkable he was even the runner up with that mindset. We also have the obvious normal main candidate by that point playing just 26 games (Lemieux) further making choices slim.

This ties into 1993-1994 where no one is going to be voting for Gretzky anymore by that point based off winning a scoring race in his least dominant fashion. He’s 15 years deep at that point. His days of being a legitimate contender for the trophy are long gone.

Ovechkin ran away with it in 2012-2013 because of the old Crosby conundrum. No one else had a convincing case and/or storyline.

Similar story in 2010-2011. No true compelling cases when the seeming front runner goes down.

This is not what is unfolding this year. While Matthews is composing his own symphony, we have three other players who are killing it as well, all with their own high level of play, storylines inside and even outside this season (MacKinnon lacking that Hart win for example), and each driving their teams through their seasons.

TLDR: There’s more than one player with an extremely compelling case in 2023-2024 and that makes it harder for Matthews to nab the Hart trophy on the strength of his goal scoring campaign, compared to some of these prior examples.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
1. It was Gretzky. Voter fatigue played against Gretzky and his 163 points. If instead of Gretzky, it had been..... Recchi or Sakic with 163 points, good chance they beat out Hull and his 86 goals to Hart.
Agree and disagree. That narrative did hurt Gretzky to be sure but the voting wasn't super close like the year before, Hull had 44 1st place votes, Gretzky 20. I wouldn't be that sure a 163 point season by anyone else would have been enough. Hull just had what is actually the greatest goal scoring season of all time afterall.

Now maybe you say there's some parallel with Gretzky and McDavid being held to a higher standard by voters - but in 2024 there's not just McDavit, but also Kucherov and MacKinnon
But that hurts their candidacy - the fact that 3 players are pacing for 130 points with simular goal totals will siphon votes from them since Matthews chase for 70+ goals is the far more unique pursuit at this point. It happens in elections with 3 or more candidates all the time. A country might be right or left leaning in general but if there's 2 or more parties fighting it out on that side and only 1 party on the other end of the spectrum that party often wins. Governments can form coalitions so the majority side can come on top that way, but that obviously doesn't apply to Hart candidates.

2. Hull was clear #2 in points that year. With Matthews - there's still 5 guys ahead of him. He might reach top 5 in scoring by year end, but he almost for sure won't reach higher than 5
4th. He's only 6 points behind Pasta with a couple games in had. With the burner he's been on he could definitely finish that high.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Because while he is 1st in goals out of the entire league he is tied for 100th in assists. Kucherov is 3rd in goals and tied for 2nd in assists, Mckinnon is 5th in goals and tied for 2nd in assists. McDavid is 40th in goals and 1st in assists. For MVP right now it has to be one of the guys who is top 5 in Goals, assists and points. That is Mackinnon or Kucherov

Matthews is far ahead of Kucherov defensively though. Always love how people obsess over the assist totals of a player who’s a two-way beast on pace for the 2nd best goal scoring season of all-time.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agree and disagree. That narrative did hurt Gretzky to be sure but the voting wasn't super close like the year before, Hull had 44 1st place votes, Gretzky 20. I wouldn't be that sure a 163 point season would have been enough. Hull just had what is actually the greatest goal scoring season of all time afterall.

Brett Hull's best season is definitely one of the seasons in consideration for greatest goal-scoring season ever. But the way you say it you make it sound like that's a definite, and I don't think it is. There are other seasons in the running too.

If a player no one expected to hit 163 points had hit it (ie - swap out Gretzky and Sakic that year, give Sakic 163 points and Gretzky 109 points) - they defnitely get a lot more than 20 1st place hart votes. If it had been Sakic, I'm convinced he wins above Hull, who finishes second.

And this isn't meant to diminish Hull in anyway - only 2 players in history ever surpassed 160 points after all. But 163 points is also a historic season, but because Gretzky had won so much and because 163 points for Gretzky wasn't as impressive as Hull's season, Hull deservedly won the hart.

In 2024 - maybe if McDavid ends up with ~130 points you might say similarly for McDavid 130 points isn't all that...but for Mack or Kucherov it would be. ~130-140 points in today's league is historic too.

4 all-time great seasons happening at once in 2023-2024.

But that hurts their candidacy - the fact that 3 players are pacing for 130 points will siphon votes from them since Matthews chase for 70+ goals far more unique. It happens in elections with 3 or more candidates all the time.

Why?

My argument is that 140 points is better than ~68 goals/105 points (conservative estimate). If 3 players hit 140 points, they're all 3 better. Same if it's 1 player or 20 players who hit 140 points, it doesn't change.

If Matthews ends up winning the hart - it'll be because he surpasses 70 goals, and maybe even 75 goals, while also bridging the point gap at the top

4th. He's only 6 points behind Pasta with a couple games in had. With the burner he's been on he could definitely finish that high. And imo that will actually help his candidacy due to vote splitting from the much more simular stats of the candidates ahead of him in scoring.

Panarin is ahead of Matthews in points too. Matthews is tied for 6th today, not 5th.

I think Matthew's ceiling is to finish 4th in points this year - I agree he could pass Pastrnak and Panarin - but I don't see anyway he catches up to Kucherov, Mackinnon or McDavid without injuries.

If Matthews tops 75 goals and is within ~15-20 points of leaders, he'll have a hell of a case to win the hart. But if he's closer to ~30-40 points back, and is closer to ~68-70 goals than to 75, he probably won't win the hart.

All 4 of Kucherov, McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews are well positioned to win. It'll come down to the last 25 games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matthews is far ahead of Kucherov defensively though. Always love how people obsess over the assist totals of a player two-way beast on pace for the 2nd best goal scoring season of all-time.

He's on pace for one of the greatest goal-scoring seasons of all-time. Whether that's 1st best, 2nd best or 5th best is subjective.

You act like this is a definitive thing.

"Adjusted stats" from hockey-reference have all kinds of flaws, and shouldn't be looked at as some absolute fact.

Reactions: klefbombs shoulder

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews is far ahead of Kucherov defensively though. Always love how people obsess over the assist totals of a player two-way beast on pace for the 2nd best goal scoring season of all-time.
Assists are kind of important especially for a centre shows he is making his linemates better. But how do you figure he is on pace for 2nd best goal scoring season of all time.

I have Gretzky's 92 as the best all time. Is he on pace to exceed Gretzky's 87 in 74 Games? or Hulls 86 in 78 games, or Mario's 85 in 76 games,

Heck you could argue for Mario's 69 in 60 games, or Neelys 50 in 49. even the Rockets 50 in 50 are all better than Matthews current pace.

AM34 is having a goal scoring season for the ages but that does not automatically get you the MVP- it will get him the Rocket though

Reactions: WalterLundy

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He's on pace for one of the greatest goal-scoring seasons of all-time. Whether that's 1st best, 2nd best or 5th best is subjective.

You act like this is a definitive thing.

"Adjusted stats" from hockey-reference have all kinds of flaws, and shouldn't be looked at as some absolute fact.

Doesn’t really change my point though does it? He’s on pace for 77 (we’ll call it 70-75 just to be realistic) while no other player is looking to reach 55. I think that bodes well for his chances at another Hart and Lindsay.

You can’t just look at points either and ignore defensive play. Name one other all-time great goal scorer since the original six era who was even remotely known for their two-way game.

Last edited:

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
He’s not on Matthews level as a goal scorer though. I was thinking more along the lines of a top 5-10 goal scorer of all time.
Clarify better before you ask then.

When Kurri retired he was 9th all time in goals, and a 3 time Selke finalist. Led the playoffs in goals 4 times including a record setting 19 in one season. That meets your criteria as you originally asked.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Clarify better before you ask then.

When Kurri retired he was 10th all time in goals, and a 3 time Selke finalist. Led the playoffs in goals 4 times including a record setting 19 in one season. That meets your criteria as you originally asked.

So count Kurri then, he’s probably the only one you could find. Still crazy that even he wasn’t as good as Matthews at scoring goals while playing with Gretzky… The only ones who actually compare to him in goal scoring, Ovechkin, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull x2, Bure, Bossy, don’t even have a two-way game worth mentioning. It’s just something that is always glossed over in these “best player” debates. That said, the seasons MacKinnon, Kucherov and McDavid are having are all worthy of winning.

• Haha
Reactions: klefbombs shoulder

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
So count Kurri then, he’s probably the only one you could find. Still crazy that even he wasn’t as good as Matthews at scoring goals while playing with Gretzky… The only ones who actually compare to him in goal scoring, Ovechkin, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull x2, Bure, Bossy, don’t even have a two-way game worth mentioning. It’s just something that is always glossed over in these “best player” debates. That said, the seasons MacKinnon, Kucherov and McDavid are having are all worthy of winning.
Kurri came to mind in seconds. You claimed there were no other players, you were wrong. its ok.

Im interested to know how you quantify these old players defensive abilities? Did you watch them? Are you going by Selke votes? Matthews has never finished higher than 10th in Selke voting so its a bit of an overexaggerated facet of his game. I will say it is interesting how important shot blocking is to certain fans suddenly. Didn't matter much when Kris Russell led the league in it year over year.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
How is Mack falling behind exactly?

Because going into tonight’s game, McDavid has made up 12 points on him in just 10 games and the Avs have won just 3 of 9 games since the All-Star break. I still have MacKinnon as the runner up to Kucherov, but we’re not far from having a shake up with the expected top 4 vote getters.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Doesn’t really change my point though does it? He’s on pace for 77 (we’ll call it 70-75 just to be realistic) while no other player is looking to reach 55. I think that bodes well for his chances at another Hart and Lindsay.
Nope and i dont disagree with any of that.

As for Hart and Lindsey - he's one of 4 in the running. All 4 are having tremendous, historic seasons. It's impossible to call it with 25 games to go. We have to see how the rest of the year plays out

How is Mack falling behind exactly?

He was on pace for 140 points at the all star break. Today he's on pace for 131 points. He also has the weakest "team argument" of the bunch, as Colorado is probably the strongest team of the 4 who was never really in danger during the season.

They're still all mostly neck and neck, but he is falling behind slightly imo.

Reactions: Video Nasty

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews winning the Hart just 2 years ago with 60 goals and 106 points (17 off 1st and in 6th place)

Some precedents to consider before that though as well:

91-Hull over Gretzky (32 point gap)
11-Perry over Daniel Sedin (6 point gap but also over a 6% differential for that season meanwhile only +5 in goals over 2nd)
13-Ovechkin ran away with the Hart in a shortened season because St. Louis and Stamkos were on same team, since could easily take out McDavid

*I did not mention Fedorov 94 because he was 10 points behind a Gretzky who didn't get a single vote due to his team's record and therefore Fedorov had a massive advantage there.
Ovi didn't run away with the Hart in 12-13.

He won by 1090 voting points to 1058.

He did run away from the TB duo though but part of that was because the second place guy missed 12 of 48 games and almost certainly would have won the art ross and Hart had he played in only several more games.

The 2 TB players also missed the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
God I hope this is you joking lol. 100 asssits is not even close to as good as 70 goals
You're right 100 assists is less common than 70 goals and more players have scored 70 goals than have had 100 assists.

Which one voters value more is the question though and when I say voters I mean actual voters not HF guys here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kurri came to mind in seconds. You claimed there were no other players, you were wrong. its ok.

Im interested to know how you quantify these old players defensive abilities? Did you watch them? Are you going by Selke votes? Matthews has never finished higher than 10th in Selke voting so its a bit of an overexaggerated facet of his game. I will say it is interesting how important shot blocking is to certain fans suddenly. Didn't matter much when Kris Russell led the le

I had all-time great goal scorers based on ability in mind, meaning atleast around the same level as Matthews, not career totals after having spent your entire career playing in the highest scoring era of all-time with Wayne Gretzky. I’m fully aware of who Kurri is and how good he was at both ends of the ice, congratulations on thinking of Kurri so quickly and “proving me wrong.” You’re wrong when it comes to literally everything to do with Matthews as a player, and yes I watched all those players and none were anywhere close to Matthews defensively.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
I had all-time great goal scorers based on ability in mind, meaning atleast around the same level as Matthews, not career totals after having spent your entire career playing in the highest scoring era of all-time with Wayne Gretzky. I’m fully aware of who Kurri is and how good he was at both ends of the ice, congratulations on thinking of Kurri so quickly and “proving me wrong.” You’re wrong when it comes to literally everything to do with Matthews as a player, and yes I watched all those players and none were anywhere close to Matthews defensively.
Those blocked shots, such a great talent.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Brett Hull's best season is definitely one of the seasons in consideration for greatest goal-scoring season ever. But the way you say it you make it sound like that's a definite, and I don't think it is. There are other seasons in the running too.
That's fair enough; I agree that nothing is ever completely definitive (unless one looks at raw totals as the be-all and end-all), but Hull's '91 season finishes the highest overall when taking into consideration multiple different metrics in comparison to the other great goal-scoring seasons. I would post those, but it's a lot to go through and off-topic here. Instead I'll make a thread for it in the history section at some point, perhaps after we see how Matthews finishes this year because there's a chance he might have an argument as well if he stays hot all the way to the end.

If a player no one expected to hit 163 points had hit it (ie - swap out Gretzky and Sakic that year, give Sakic 163 points and Gretzky 109 points) - they defnitely get a lot more than 20 1st place hart votes. If it had been Sakic, I'm convinced he wins above Hull, who finishes second.
I'm not saying that a hypothetical 163-point season wouldn't necessarily win the Hart over Hull under any circumstance; I simply disagree with the premise that it's a sure thing. It would be a very close vote either way, likely decided based on which team finished higher in the standings. If Sakic had 163 points but the Nordiques still missed the playoffs, which they very well could have (they were that bad), there is zero chance he wins the Hart over Hull and his 86. Some might point to a few exceptions like Lemieux's win in '88, but Lemieux didn't just win the Ross; he was the one with a massive edge in goals, plus there was a huge Gretzky fatigue factor at play there, which would be irrelevant in this hypothetical scenario.

And this isn't meant to diminish Hull in anyway - only 2 players in history ever surpassed 160 points after all. But 163 points is also a historic season, but because Gretzky had won so much and because 163 points for Gretzky wasn't as impressive as Hull's season, Hull deservedly won the hart.
But exactly the same thing basically applies to an 80-goal season. Only 2 players have ever scored 80 or more goals before Hull did it in '91. If Sakic scored 160+, he would have been the 3rd player to do so, just as Hull was only the 3rd player to reach 80. But 80+ goals had only been achieved 3 times by two players prior to '91. 160 points, in comparison, had been achieved a whooping 11 times by those two players to that point. So no, I don't agree that it would automatically be a more historic season than the 3rd highest goal total ever if it was another player other than Gretzky or Lemieux scoring 160.

In 2024 - maybe if McDavid ends up with ~130 points you might say similarly for McDavid 130 points isn't all that...but for Mack or Kucherov it would be. ~130-140 points in today's league is historic too.

4 all-time great seasons happening at once in 2023-2024.
Due to the events of last season, 130 is no longer as historic as you are making it out to be. We largely have McDavid to thank for shattering that mark, but there are also many more players who've flirted with 130 than there have been players flirting with 70.

We haven't had a 70-goal season in 31 years. There's little doubt with a game or two more, Lemieux would have done it in '96, but that still makes it 28 years. By contrast, Draisaitl very likely hits 130 last year along with McDavid if he didn't miss those 2 games, MacKinnon had a decent chance without his injury, Crosby had a shot in '10, and Jagr as well in '98.

In summarization, we've had a player complete crush 130 along with 3 others who've come within 3 points of it while missing games and 2 others who had a realistic shot of it had they been healthy. Meanwhile in that same period no one has had a realistic shot of hitting 70 goals. No one was pacing for it sans injury and the closest anyone has come is 5 goals.

Why?

My argument is that 140 points is better than ~68 goals/105 points (conservative estimate). If 3 players hit 140 points, they're all 3 better. Same if it's 1 player or 20 players who hit 140 points, it doesn't change.
If Matthews falls short of the 70 mark and only ends up with 68 goals/105 points while two players reach 140, then I completely agree with you; that's too big of a gap to overcome, but that's not the projection at the moment. If you're suggesting that someone is going to slip off the pace, I would agree there's a very good chance of that, but at this point, we have no idea who will.

I'm using the current projections for all players, while you seem to be anticipating that Matthews will be the one who will fall off the pace. Currently, no one is on pace for 140 points, with Kuch being the highest at 135 in 81 games, while Matthews is on pace for 76 goals/112 points in 81. That's a very close Hart vote, but 70, never mind 76 goals, is more historic than 135 points or 100 assists, as this vote is proving:
What's more impressive; 70 goals or 100 assists?

However all that said, I still think MacKinnon is the favorite atm due to not having won it before, but he's been the one slipping the most off the pace of the 4 lately. I do think he'll bounce back with some big games soon, but if he falls off the pace and finishes behind Kuch and McDavid by a fair bit, say ~10 points, that will completely mitigate his no-win advantage.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t really see why it’s all that crazy. It’s a nice plus sure, but it’s not like he’s producing this while being in a heavy defensive role. He’s deployed like any other number 1 center for the most part.

Reactions: enj92

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don’t really see why it’s all that crazy. It’s a nice plus sure, but it’s not like he’s producing this while being in a heavy defensive role. He’s deployed like any other number 1 center for the most part.

Well it’s certainly worth mentioning considering how rare it is. If Matthews scored like this while being deployed in a heavy defensive role he would be the hands down best player in the league

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad