2023-24 Hart Memorial Trophy finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Connor McDavid

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I suspect it's gonna be really close between Kuch and Nate.

Definitely the closest race in years.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If MacKinnon wins, it will be well deserved as well, as it was a very close race.
It really wasn't that close of a race. I can't recall the last non McDavid player to lead the Art Ross race for such a large majority of the season, and by the final week Kucherov was in cruise control and had it all but wrapped up. MacKinnon probably gets homer votes but the voters aren't that biased, and Kucherov should win rather easily with likely around 60% of first place votes.

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
It really wasn't that close of a race. I can't recall the last non McDavid player to lead the Art Ross race for such a large majority of the season, and by the final week Kucherov was in cruise control and had it all but wrapped up. MacKinnon probably gets homer votes but the voters aren't that biased, and Kucherov should win rather easily with likely around 60% of first place votes.
nah, it was close. I was on Team Kucherov and I was worried right up until everything but the last game. He even got passed down the stretch, briefly. It was anyone's the way they were all potting 3 and 4 point nights so often.

Reactions: Matsun

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
I think it's MacKinnon mostly because I think he plays a more impactful position, and was more dominant in his minutes than Kuch was in his. They're neck-and-neck, though, and I think both would be deserving winners. Great seasons from all three nominees.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
My personal pick is McDavid, but I think he and Mackinnon split votes, and Kucherov steals it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Kucherov probably should win, but MacKinnon probably did instead. Either would be a good choice. McDavid is the right choice for third.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
It's going to be MacKinnon.

Mack and Kucherov will finish similar in 1st place votes (Kuch a good chance to have more), but Mack is going to to get way more 2nd place votes that Kuch.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
All three of these guys plus Panarin and Matthews and Hughes all had Hart worthy seasons. Crazy year. Throw a dart and take your pick. No sense in arguing over microstats.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Got to love the mental gymnastics to convince oneself that a player who scores 69 goals on the season and is top 3 among all defensive forwards is not more valuable than a player who scored 40 goals, and contributed negatively to his team while at even strength.

Then again, this was a mere formality because Mackinnon is going to win the Hart because its his turn to win an individual trophy.
In a world where the only thing a player brings to the table is goal scoring matters, then yes. But unfortunately for Matthews, players are also judged on their ability to create for everyone else around them as well.

Maybe if Matthews wasn't such a mediocre playmaker, he'd still be effective when he's not scoring goals like in the playoffs.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i think mack takes it. i think some voters might be turned off by kucherovs all star performance

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
nah, it was close. I was on Team Kucherov and I was worried right up until everything but the last game. He even got passed down the stretch, briefly. It was anyone's the way they were all potting 3 and 4 point nights so often.
Kucherov pulled away in that last week, and MacKinnon had 1 point in his last 2 games going into his final game of the season. Even with the Oilers not playing any of their guys and MacKinnon securing 2 free points Kucherov ended with a 4 point lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad