Value of: Zibanejad to Bruins

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
8 of those points on the power play so this isnt the whole truth.

DeBrusk and a first for Zibanejad isnt something that I mentioned in my first post, a reasonable counter offer. DeBrusk is on the pace to score 32 goals the whole season, Zib on the way to 23 goals. Altough Jake has a lot of less assists because there is nobody on his line who is a finisher besides him. I think Krejci didnt score a goal in November at all. Also this is just DeBrusk's second NHL season. Besides that he had very strong playoffs. I know a center is more important than a winger and its great that Zib's game finally came around but I think we have to pump the brakes a little bit. DeBrusk is still the player with the higher upside of those both. Therefore Boston absolutely doesnt add a first.

In conclusion I want to say that I respect your opinion, I just dont agree with it but its surely isnt easy to find fair value for both teams.

17 ES points in 28 games paces for 50 in a full season...that's pretty damn good...

Nevermind that he'd likely land on the 1st unit PP that's currently on pace to break records if he landed with the Avs :dunno:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Wait, so this is the extent of Zibanejad's upside and he's producing at a 73 point pace as of this very moment, but DeBrusk somehow has higher upside? According to what? All I've seen is conjecture aside from you pointing out his goal totals and pace, which is entirely possible that he doesn't keep up at all, considering he's in his second season and adapting to the league still.

Yeah but it is also possible that Zib falls off a cliff and be right back at that what he was the last six season before, a center who has scored only once more than 50 points per season and that with 51 points.

DeBrusk is already a promising player in just his second season. To be clear, I know that Zib is a great player and because of that I would like him to be on the Bruins. I think some posters here have to be a little more careful with their valueing. By pointing out this 73 points pace, its like we are speaking about a center who has scored multiple 60-70 point seasons and that is not the case. I also want to say that I dont like to put the points into to much focus. I know there are more things in hockey with the little details but I picked it up because those 73 points were mentioned again and again.

Reactions: bl02

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Alright I am curios. With what kind of return as a finished product would you be cool with as a return for Zib. I mean if you get the chance to look in the future and you would see that one of the returned players play as the third line center, one as a second line wing and the last on the second D pair (points like the league average), would that be enough value for you?
1. We don’t need a future 3C, we have Howden for that who’s been doing great this year
2. We don’t need 2nd pairing dmen either, especially not LHD, we have Skjei, Miller, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren etc all as potential top 4 LHD, Skjei’s already one and Miller is doing amazing things this year at Wisconsin with 15 points in 16 games. Hajek as well has looked great
3. We have plenty of 2nd line wingers, what we need is elite/1st line talent and Zibanejad is the latter
4. You’re offering quantity for quality

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah but it is also possible that Zib falls off a cliff and be right back at that what he was the last six season before, a center who has scored only once more than 50 points per season and that with 51 points.

DeBrusk is already a promising player in just his second season. To be clear, I know that Zib is a great player and because of that I would like him to be on the Bruins. I think some posters here have to be a little more careful with their valueing. By pointing out this 73 points pace, its like we are speaking about a center who has scored multiple 60-70 point seasons and that is not the case. I also want to say that I dont like to put the points into to much focus. I know there are more things in hockey with the little details but I picked it up because those 73 points were mentioned again and again.

Ok, while I do agree that Zibanejad is not a "proven" 60+ point player, what you mean to tell me from this post is that it's ok to point out DeBrusk's 30 goal pace and that it's a safer bet to assume that a player in his second season maintains that kind of pace, as opposed to an established player that's healthy and playing 1st line minutes and producing over a near 30 game sample?

I don't see how this isn't an egregious double standard.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
1. We don’t need a future 3C, we have Howden for that who’s been doing great this year
2. We don’t need 2nd pairing dmen either, especially not LHD, we have Skjei, Miller, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren etc all as potential top 4 LHD, Skjei’s already one and Miller is doing amazing things this year at Wisconsin with 15 points in 16 games. Hajek as well has looked great
3. We have plenty of 2nd line wingers, what we need is elite/1st line talent and Zibanejad is the latter
4. You’re offering quantity for quality

Thank you for your response. I always thought Zib is valued as a second line center but probably his pace for an absolut career high changed things very fast. I also have to say that I would be very fine with that if I trade one second line player and get three NHLers in important roles on my team out of one player. I would declare that as very much a quality trade, surely one the latter team would regret.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
As is overvalueing his own players.

What part of we don’t want to trade him is so difficult to comprehend...?

You want a player we have absolutely no interest in moving, so yeah, we are overvaluing him. And rightfully so.

We’ve had 5 1st round picks the last two seasons. We’ll likely have another 2 or 3 this year.

We’re not going to be happy with a mid-late 1st and a good prospect or two. We already have a good farm system.

Most of the proposals here are absolute horse ****.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thank you for your response. I always thought Zib is valued as a second line center but probably his pace for an absolut career high changed things very fast. I also have to say that I would be very fine with that if I trade one second line player and get three NHLers in important roles on my team out of one player. I would declare that as very much a quality trade, surely one the latter team would regret.
Again, you’re asking what he costs but you’re not even taking into consideration what the Rangers need. We don’t need quantity, like at all. Even with the quantity you’re offering, it’s positions that we’re very strong at (LHD, 3C, future 2nd liner-if even)
You want Zib you pay the price, if not you look elsewhere

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Ok, while I do agree that Zibanejad is not a "proven" 60+ point player, what you mean to tell me from this post is that it's ok to point out DeBrusk's 30 goal pace and that it's a safer bet to assume that a player in his second season maintains that kind of pace, as opposed to an established player that's healthy and playing 1st line minutes and producing over a near 30 game sample?

I don't see how this isn't an egregious double standard.

Of course it's very much possible for the DeBrusk to loose this pace and be at 20-25 goals at the season end. I never mentioned him reaching 30 goals is a safer bet.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Brassard straight up. They even got a pick back. But a couple of things:

-Zibanejad then wasn't close to Zibanejad now. He's taken several steps forward as a Ranger.

-Using Ottawa as a sample is pointless. No team in the NHL gets more consistently bent in trades. Not even close.

Edmonton, Chiarelli is quite the dingus.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Brassard straight up. They even got a pick back. But a couple of things:

-Zibanejad then wasn't close to Zibanejad now. He's taken several steps forward as a Ranger.

-Using Ottawa as a sample is pointless. No team in the NHL gets more consistently bent in trades. Not even close.
Also being lost in this is that the move was one rooted in cost savings for OTT (Melnyk special).

Zibanejad had one year left on his contract, and was up for a significant raise (going from $2.625M to $5.35M).

Brassard had 3 years left on his deal, with a cap hit of $5M, but with a real salary of $5M, $3.5M, and $3.5M. $12M total. OTT even waited until NYR had paid a signing bonus of $2M on July 1st to trade for him, bringing the actual total down to $10M over 3 years.

So, OTT basically traded away a player with higher potential, but almost certainly higher future salary; for an older, cost-controlled veteran with a history of playoff performance.

The trade just looks bad in retrospect, but it wasn't that lopsided at the time. As a NYR fan, I still thought we were the clear winners in the trade at the time, especially since we got a 2nd on top of Zibanejad (apparently in return for paying the $2M bonus, but that's just heresay), but the rationale from an OTT perspective ins't all that insane.

Reactions: Machinehead

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
When I see the title say "Value of"

I just think it's asking what the player is actually worth. Separately would be what he;s worth if the team refuses to deal him

Now sometimes a team does not want to trade a player. Bc of this, the player is worth even more. If I remember, last year Zib was available to be traded, as was the entire team. I do not believe that this has changed.

I disagree with the belief that we absolutely do not want to trade Zib. Now IF the team views him that way then of course, yes it'd take an almost unreasonable offer to get him from us. It's fair to offer up the possibility that the team sees Zib this way. I don't see any evidence that should be causing certain people to so arrogantly and vehemently dismiss offers based on this belief though.

I don't see why the team would refuse to consider it. We're rebuilding, you have to give to get good rebuilding pieces. Zib would be a good piece to give.

The prospects offered up in the Nash deal are way better prospects than Lindgren is, and there's two as opposed to just Lindgren. The premise is that already developing prospects > picks.

I think what you're focusing on is the 2nd round pick as opposed to a 1st. To that point, I totally agree. The offer for Zibanejad starts with a 1st, and we build out from there.
Careful now. You're asking for trouble apparently if you comment on this

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad