Zetterberg - Forsberg - Alfredsson Or M. Tkachuk - Malkin - Rantanen?

Which would be the better line?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the Swedes quite easily. Offense is pretty similar but the Swedes are much better defensively and I think would have better chemistry.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not really a fan of Alfie, or Zetterberg if I'm being honest.

And I am a huge fan of all 3 guys on that other line.

But being objective, the Zetterberg-Foppa-Alfie line is just near perfection for a 2-way game. It kills me, but they're the right answer here.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I like the chemistry on line 1, I like the talent better on line 2. Line 1 wins on chemistry and defensive awareness.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He was healthier, which is a big part of the game.

I take the Zetterberg, Forsberg and Alfredsson line tho bc Z and Alfie > Rantanen and Tkachuk

For overall career he was but they both missed lots of time. First 11 years of his career, Forsberg played 73.7% of his team’s games. First 11 years of Malkin’s career he played in 81.3%. So roughly 6 extra games per year. But the difference is almost entirely due to Forsberg taking the 01-02 season off. He also had one more 70+ game season over those years and both their peak seasons came while playing 75 games. I think for the purposes of this poll there isn’t a significant difference in their likelihood of availability

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Forsberg is my favourite player, and Zetts isnt far behind. I also like Alfie, and all three were all around, gritty players.

But Forsberg and Zetterberg were uniquely terrible together for Sweden. Like, a total waste of both of them. I think they both like to play the same game, Zetts is just Forsberg-lite, and there isnt enough North-South, banging for rebounds and shooting. They get in each other's way, role wise. Zetts lets Pete take control and turns into a..... darned decent LW.

But that isnt enough to beat the other line in this poll, which is a pretty cool mix of talent and nastiness on LW.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Forsberg is my favourite player, and Zetts isnt far behind. I also like Alfie, and all three were all around, gritty players.

But Forsberg and Zetterberg were uniquely terrible together for Sweden. Like, a total waste of both of them. I think they both like to play the same game, Zetts is just Forsberg-lite, and there isnt enough North-South, banging for rebounds and shooting. They get in each other's way, role wise. Zetts lets Pete take control and turns into a..... darned decent LW.

But that isnt enough to beat the other line in this poll, which is a pretty cool mix of talent and nastiness on LW.
This is a really interesting take on it. I hadn't really considered chemistry, more just which line I think has more skill and overall more complete games among its individuals. While we can reasonably estimate the chemistry for the Swedes since a couple of them actually played together, we cannot for the other line as none of them have.

On paper both lines look solid. But in practice? We only know the answer for one of those two lines, so it's not a fair comparison. Maybe Rantanen and Malkin perform terribly together? I don't know. Either way, though, I'm glad you brought up that aspect of it. It made me think about it differently than I had.

Reactions: Dingo and heksagon

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

That’s interesting. I don’t remember them on the national team very well and kind of figured they would have chemistry because of their similarities

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
That’s interesting. I don’t remember them on the national team very well and kind of figured they would have chemistry because of their similarities
hopefully a Swede or two will pop up on here and chime in.

I know I saw them once together and mentioned on here that they were really lacklustre, or.... disappointing. Like, don't get me wrong, they owned the puck and were defensively nearly impenetrable. They just didnt create any offence, neither one being a true goalscorer might not have helped. They both like to own the puck, drag defenders to them and open up chances for teammates. (Alfredsson IS one of the best sniping Swedes ever, so maybe Im wrong about the line overall)

Anyways, I remember bringing it up then, and a few Swedes jumped on to say that they had always been bad together. I think this was 2010... so, Forsberg was all but done, but I was still really let down. Its probable that Z let Pete take the reigns out of respect, but should have actually been the driving force at center at that point.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
2 Conn Smythe contenders in Zetts and Forsberg VS 1 Conn Smythe contender in Malkin who's better offensively than both by a bit, but I lean toward Zetterberg and especially my center papa Foppa to play a strong 2 way game and be intimidating

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
2 Conn Smythe contenders in Zetts and Forsberg VS 1 Conn Smythe contender in Malkin who's better offensively than both by a bit, but I lean toward Zetterberg and especially my center papa Foppa to play a strong 2 way game and be intimidating

Alfredsson was a contender in 2007 as well (would have won if Ottawa won), and Tkachuk as well in 2023 (it was between him and Bob if Florida had won).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad