Zemgus for Captain

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I think he's probably the most suitable guy but I don't want to put too much pressure on him. He's already trying to learn the NHL game let him do that without worrying about leading the team too.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
how long ago was the Weber for captain thread? lets keep trying to throw letters at people with less than a season of good hockey (MUCH MUCH less for Z) in the NHL

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The kid is 19 and has three goals. Despite being a hardworking and character guy, he has more to focus on at this point in his young career than being a leader. A guy like Crosby can be a teenage captain because he scored 100 points in his sleep at 18. The pressure of being a captain was nothing. I'd let Girgensons stew a little more and solidify himself into a top-six winger (if he can) before keeping more expectations on him.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The kid is 19 and has three goals. Despite being a hardworking and character guy, he has more to focus on at this point in his young career than being a leader. A guy like Crosby can be a teenage captain because he scored 100 points in his sleep at 18. The pressure of being a captain was nothing. I'd let Girgensons stew a little more and solidify himself into a top-six winger (if he can) before keeping more expectations on him.

Concentrating on his game before giving him the added pressure of being captain is a fair point, but his point production has nothing to do with being a captain.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Concentrating on his game before giving him the added pressure of being captain is a fair point, but his point production has nothing to do with being a captain.

I've seen threads on other boards and things on Twitter since last night proclaiming Girgensons the savior of the franchise, the face of the franchise, the next great captain, yada yada. It's all a bit much. Then there's Coller last June saying he wouldn't trade Girgensons straight up for MacKinnon...

Anyway, his point production indicates he's still barely scratching the surface and a big work in progress. So in this case, I think it has a lot to do with whether or not he could be captain. Do you need to score points to be a captain? Not necessarily. Plenty of low-scoring defensive veterans make good captains (Craig River notwithstanding). But in Girgenson's case, the points are a good indicator that there's a lot more work that needs to be done as a player before even being considered as a captain.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
how long ago was the Weber for captain thread? lets keep trying to throw letters at people with less than a season of good hockey (MUCH MUCH less for Z) in the NHL

yea, we went in a much better direction :rolleyes:

But any excuse to bring that up again is worth it. :laugh:

you wanted Vanek to get the Captaincy... how'd that work out for ya? he met all the completely irrelevant criteria for being the captain of a rebuilding team: veteran, tenure, talent.... and none of that **** matters.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think he's probably the most suitable guy but I don't want to put too much pressure on him. He's already trying to learn the NHL game let him do that without worrying about leading the team too.

Agreed.

In my ideal scenario (in terms of the captainship), the Sabres would have re-signed Pominville to one more contract, after which Zemgus would be ready to take over. Now I guess that bridge guy can be Ott.

Z will be captain of this team eventually. Let him grow into that role...there is absolutely no hurry.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
yea, we went in a much better direction :rolleyes:

you wanted Vanek to get the Captaincy... how'd that work out for ya? he met all the completely irrelevant criteria for being the captain of a rebuilding team: veteran, tenure, talent.... and none of that **** matters.

baiting-seos.jpg

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Ideally, you want the captain to be someone the team relies on, and if the team relies on a player he's got to be able to put up points. Around the league, almost all of the captains are players who are on the ice when their team is down a goal with the goalie pulled, especially on the good teams. Point production does matter.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

The Girgensons hype is getting silly

Agreed. He works his ass off, but there is a ton of development still to come, and he maxes out well below the superstar threshold.

Yes

Yes

And hell ya!

To me, It seems like a good chunk of the threads lately have been months and sometimes years too early. But they get to be pages and pages long so I must be in the minority :laugh:

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Gotta love HFboards and the peeps who can't help but jump the gun on just about everything. The kid's commitment and work ethic is second to none, but he's 30 odd games into his career, and years away from being even considered for the roll. At the very most, if he continues his development and production at current rates, he might be in line for an A within the next two years.

Anyway, not to throw the thread off track, but can anyone tell me if Girgensons player tees are available in Buffalo sporting goods stores yet? I saw lots of Grigs and Vaneks when I was there at the end of the summer, but Z hadn't played with the big club yet at that point. Don't quite feel like shelling out for a jersey yet.

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Hodgson is the next captain imo. Down the road zemgus will get an A and be one of the leaders on this team.

Not until he improves his defensive play. He still looks completely lost back there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad