Zegras Worth From Fans..

What is Zegras Worth and why would pay him that much?

• 3 - 4m AAV

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 5-6m AAV

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • 7-8M AAV

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • 9-10mAAV

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's more complicated than that with sports though. Amazon warehouse workers fighting corporate? I'm 100% behind the workers because I have no vested stake in Amazon as a corporation. But when you're talking athlete from my favorite team vs team? I want the cheapest deal possible because I'm a fan of the team, not the athlete.
I get that reflex too but so much of the animosity comes from (or at least is expressed as) towards a spoiled millionaire just for making an ask, whereas that sentiment never seems to be directed at the billion dollar company that controls the salary without ever once having fought off a check or taken a punch to the face for the team.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
If he was playing with better players on a better team he'd be in the 80-100pt range the past two seasons and he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet, I think his actual value is in the 7-8 range right now. Anything under 7 would be an absolute steal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Presuming he's getting a 3 year bridge, 5.5 million is where I'd put his contract value.

In a bubble where money is no issue for the Ducks and contract length is not a factor I'd put his actual value around 6-6.5 considering his current ability, potential for growth, and marketability value.

Losing Zegras and not drafting Fantilli would be quite a 1-2 punch for Verbeeks legacy in addition to icing some of the softest teams in league history
He should get 5 million for his 3 year bridge deal
Only time can tell that impact. Fantilli looked good against AHL and junior kids but he hasn't gotten his taste of NHL hockey yet.

If he was playing with better players on a better team he'd be in the 80-100pt range the past two seasons and he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet, I think his actual value is in the 7-8 range right now. Anything under 7 would be an absolute steal.
I'd put that range around 70-75 honestly. Z has a lot more talent and skill than neutral fans give him credit for, but he's still figuring things out at the NHL level in terms of high level execution and consistency. I think the suggestion that he could hit 100 with better linemates with his game in its current state is a bit preposterous.

He's a very good hockey player but he's not mid level superstar good yet.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I agree, but that's all potential. Like Caufield scored at a 46 goal pace. If he played the full season and actually scored 45+ goals he would have gotten way more then what he got.

Potential is not the same thing as doing it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I get that reflex too but so much of the animosity comes from (or at least is expressed as) towards a spoiled millionaire just for making an ask, whereas that sentiment never seems to be directed at the billion dollar company that controls the salary without ever once having fought off a check or taken a punch to the face for the team.
I can point you to hundreds if not thousands of posts complaining about how cheap the Samueli’s are.

Just depends on the particular tribalism of the poster.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I just hope they aren't haggling over like a <$1M margin in AAV

Can’t imagine. If you believe the Lavoie report from last night that suggests PV is offering $3-4M, then that means Z‘s camp wants somewhere around 5 and they’d settle on like $4M to $4.5M and it would probably already be done

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I have no love for the billionaires that's for sure, fandom is a weird thing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You should specify length.

nac.gif

i-am-in-between-both-fiona-frills.gif

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, it's a bit revealing in that not too long ago, a LOT of folks here were clamoring to give him 8x8 or 8x9 without a second thought, right from the get-go. Looks quite a bit different now; what changed?
Just don't see the need for another thread. What changed that it couldn't continue to be discussed where it was?

Reactions: 70sSanO

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I agree, but that's all potential. Like Caufield scored at a 46 goal pace. If he played the full season and actually scored 45+ goals he would have gotten way more then what he got.

If he actually scored 80-100pts his first two seasons, we'd be paying significantly more than 7mil per year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Idk that caufield is a good example for this

Zegras played with a terrible supporting cast and 1 of the worst coaches in nhl history, despite all that he managed to put up 20 goals and 60+ points a season.

I don’t think we’re talking potential here…. It’s pretty much for certain. Ducks mangement should be paying premium for him based on the team they built around him the last 2 years

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No, I don't remember folks saying "sign Zegras to an 8x8 deal and also I'd rather have 4 first rounders and he's not that great anyway and I never like him that much to begin with" etc. Definite vibe shift.

Personally, in a labor dispute (and an apparently cordial one so far) I reflex to the side of labor but it seems the opposite is more common.
Honestly, I agree with the latter paragraph entirely. That is indeed a trend I’ve perceived, as well, and it might be my own biases or lack of regular input these days that made me feel like this situation was different. We’re not working with a huge user base here, so the couple of flags changing their direction as the wind goes might not be overly meaningful, but sure, I wouldn’t realistically doubt that Zegras‘ place as a cornerstone has been more questioned over this mere dispute.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Indeed, in other contexts. That makes it all the more striking to see it go the other way in this context. Not tribalism, unless tribalism is context driven.
I see it as entirely consistent. The tribe is team fandom. When the owners won’t spend to win, they are making the team worse, and are therefore a threat to the tribe. When the player is asking for compensation that seems inappropriately high and will thus impact the ability to ice a fully competitive roster in a Cap league, they are a threat to the tribe.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
My take is that for all the excitement, Zegras will end up closer to Panarin than MacKinnon.

While not a bad end result, maybe not one that commands more than it is.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I see it as entirely consistent. The tribe is team fandom. When the owners won’t spend to win, they are making the team worse, and are therefore a threat to the tribe. When the player is asking for compensation that seems inappropriately high and will thus impact the ability to ice a fully competitive roster in a Cap league, they are a threat to the tribe.
I completely disagree but I don't feel like taking this to a second day of argument.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
My take is that for all the excitement, Zegras will end up closer to Panarin than MacKinnon.

While not a bad end result, maybe not one that commands more than it is.

John
Has anyone ever really thought he would be Mackinnon level? Even Panarin is a bit optimistic of a projection. Achievable, but a bit above what I would expect.

Oct 18, 2011
His value does go beyond just what he is as a player whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The Ducks have been an awful franchise for almost 5 years, and he's one of the few players we have that people want to pay to see, and the Ducks honestly haven't had their attendance completely crater despite being terrible, part of it I think is the chance to see Zegras make one of his highlight reel plays in person because he is a star to the casual fan that follows hockey.

Now what's his actual value as a player? It's tough to say but the fact there is such a wide gap in what he seems to want and what Anaheim seems to want to offer is concerning. You have a group of young players who seem to be happy here and want to turn things around, I don't know if jerking them around with money is going to pay off, when as a franchise you are currently one of the least desirable franchises in the league

Look how much we had to overpay Killorn and Strome, that tells you how Anaheim is viewed right now by players. Maybe Verbeeks strategy will pay off and we will realize how smart he is but his tenure to date has been mid at best

And I also understand that Zegras has a long way to go as an all around player but you know what doesn't help that? Him missing time in training camp with a new coaching staff

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Has anyone ever really thought he would be Mackinnon level? Even Panarin is a bit optimistic of a projection. Achievable, but a bit above what I would expect.

Exactly.

Since this is a fan thread, Zegras is treated as the savior of the franchise.

PV will negotiate and we see how things turn out. If Zegras ends up here great, if not I hope we get someone who will help us win a cup.

My life will go on no matter whose name is on the back of the jersey.

So far the only real player regret is missing Crosby, maybe Bedard, but we’ll see.

John

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Has anybody read this? Does not paint a rosy picture of Z's season last year..

I'm not sure if he can be a franchise player. Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne, Ryan Getzlaf were franchise players and I'm skeptical he can get to their levels. Zegras was drafted #9 overall and Hughes was #1 overall, so I don't really see them as comparable right now.

I couldn't read much of the article because of the paywall, but these sorts of articles have some flawed premises. The Ducks may have sucked the last several years, but it's not like they are drafting in the top three each year (in the last five drafts, they've picked #2, #10, #3, #6, and #9. It's not like they've had the number of really high draft picks like Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Chicago (2x), Colorado or New Jersey have had during their rebuilds. Heck, even the NYR had higher or comparable draft pick positions, except they got that #1 OA, than the Ducks and they weren't even rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad