Speculation: Zegras - Mailloux trade at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Saw this on a rumor website: Zegras trade

According to them, a source close to the team said that a deal was in place where Montreal would trade Logan Mailloux and the 21oa pick in 2024 for Zegras and a 2nd round pick, but the trade was cancelled By Montreal (likely because their target, Hage, became available).

The source adds that there were rumors before the draft that Mailloux might get moved (which is true)

Kent Hughes is also quoted, saying they had a deal in place that fell through and that they didn’t want too many players from the same mold. We could deduct that Montreal feels Zegras and Demidov might be built from the same “mold”

One last thing that the article mentions is that the Habs called Anaheim midway through the first round saying they were backing out of the trade (is it the call they did right before selecting Hage?)

More so, Anaheim ended up moving up not long after to #23.

Wondering what HF thinks of this trade. From what I've heard, Mailloux has more value in NHL GM circles than among HFers.

Edit: added @Baksfamous112 comments to the OP, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dog

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doesn’t seem like fair return for Zegras. The 21OA and the Ducks’ second were where teams can get guys they like in a tier. So pretty much Zegras for Mailloux.

Reactions: bert

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Definitely gotta pay Anaheim more for them to even budge given how hard they've held onto Gibson making the asking price too rich for some teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the selection of the Russian kid, I think the Habs should be ok moving forward in their top 6. Right now, they have Suzuki, Caulfield and after Slaf's good 2nd year, I feel better about putting him in there. Still pending on whether Dach can be healthy as they need his Size at C.

Then with Demidov, they have a high end talent. Plus, the Habs do have a few young prospect forwards who are either not big or not physical like Mesar, Kapanen, Kidney who might make it in the top 6, in addition to kids like Owen Beck.

Plus to move a RHD for a Winger? When the Habs only have Barron who is now in a make/break season and Reinbacher on the right side, probably not the wisest asset management move to acquire Zegras.

Reactions: Guess

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I am thinking that if Montreal ended up refusing, it has more to do with Demidov available at 5, than Hage available at 21.

Funny though that apparently, an agreed upon trade between two actual GMs is looking more like the offers from Montreal fans, than it does to what Anaheim fans were asking for...

And they are doubling down here ! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Saw this on a rumor website: Zegras trade

According to them, a source close to the team said that a deal was in place where Montreal would trade Logan Mailloux and the 21oa pick in 2024 for Zegras and a 2nd round pick, but the trade was cancelled By Montreal (likely because their target, Hage, became available).

Wondering what HF thinks of this trade. From what I've heard, Mailloux has more value in NHL GM circles than among HFers.
or Zegras has less value, or both.

Had to doubleread because "HFers" could refer to the folks from that site (Habsolument Fans)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If MTL put a stop to that deal then Habs fans should be worried about the direction of the team... and I say this as someone who has liked Hughes moves so far but that is a clear win and upgrade for MTL.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I am thinking that if Montreal ended up refusing, it has more to do with Demidov available at 5, than Hage available at 21.

Funny though that apparently, an agreed upon trade between two actual GMs is looking more like the offers from Montreal fans, than it does to what Anaheim fans were asking for...

And they are doubling down here ! :)
You think that Montreal rumor website is actually reporting facts? I would take any speculation with a massive grain of salt

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The article says more than that. Specifically that there were rumors before the draft that Mailloux might get moved (which is true)

It also quotes Hughes that says they had a deal in place that fell through and that they didn’t want too many players from the same mold. We could deduct that Montreal feels Zegras and Demidov might be built from the same “mold”

One last thing that the article mention is that the Habs called Anaheim midway through the first round saying they were backing out of the trade (is it the call they did right before selecting Hage?)

More so, Anaheim ended up moving up not long after to #23.

Reactions: Guess

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Sure

But zegras doesn’t have any more value than what was proposed

Mailloux plus hage is a very good package
I think its an ok deal as well, if that second round pick was omitted by Anaheim, but I can see why the forum thinks its horrible for Anaheim.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think its an ok deal as well, if that second round pick was omitted by Anaheim, but I can see why the forum thinks its horrible for Anaheim.
In any other deal a second round pick is a laughable add on but apparently this one was a deal breaker lmao

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Sounds like someone invented a trade in the Dach/Newhook mold and didn't consider what proper compensation for Zegras would truly be.
Maybe Anaheim gets a duchene type haul for him

Not impossible but I don’t really see zegras as the type that gms lust over

Nobody mentioned McTavish until your post.
Nobody mentioned montreals 1st in 25 till that quoted post

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I hate that Zegras is stuck in these garbage rumor mills. I hate it almost as much as that there are so many people gullible enough to believe them. Anaheim gets included in so many of these because our office doesn't leak info, so people have to make up lies to fill the void. Gibson played his last game as a Duck anyone? Just stop.

Reactions: DavidBL

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sure

But zegras doesn’t have any more value than what was proposed

Mailloux plus hage is a very good package
Zegras is worth much more lol. Dude had back to back 65+ point pace seasons as a 21/22 year old. One poor, injury riddled season doesn't change that.

I mean, would you trade Caufield for that package?

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
In any other deal a second round pick is a laughable add on but apparently this one was a deal breaker lmao
The deal seems skewed towards the Habs so I don't see why the second round pick is needed. I wouldn't do that trade if I was Anaheim, considering Mailloux's decision making ability, but if you consider it Hage + Mailloux for Zegras it's not bad actually, it's not like Zegras doesn't have his flaws as well.

I guess it's good for Ducks fans this didn't happen, can you imagine the outrage on here 😅

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe Anaheim gets a duchene type haul for him

Not impossible but I don’t really see zegras as the type that gms lust over

Nobody mentioned montreals 1st in 25 till that quoted post
Or maybe they keep him? Anaheim doesn't have to decide whether to pay him what he'd get for another 2 years and they haven't really figured out their core yet. They won't trade him baring an overpayment they can't say no to for at least 2 years.

Dach was moved cause the Blackhawks wanted to truly bottom out and Newhook was moved because Colorado needed the cap space for a legit center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad