Zayne Parekh vs Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is or will end up the better player?

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Uh. was this moved? I swear I posted this in the Poll subforum. I figured it would be OK since there is a demidov vs Michkov Poll there.

If not, would a mod move it there? Just so it gains more traction?

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Parekh has to improve his D game and has the incredible upside offensively. Next couple years to play loads of quality TOI on PK and against others teams top lines. Time will tell as he matures and develops

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Buium could end up an Adam Fox type.

Parekh might become a Tyson Barrie.

I know which one I’d rather have.
Tyson Barrie's draft year is ranked the 42nd most productive season by a 17 year old defenseman in WHL history

Parekh's is the 3rd most productive season by a 17 year old defenseman in OHL history. The 2 players ahead of him played in the 80s.

Who knows what will happen, but Parekh's ceiling is significantly higher than a Tyson Barrie.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Tyson Barrie's draft year is ranked the 42nd most productive season by a 17 year old defenseman in WHL history

Parekh's is the 3rd most productive season by a 17 year old defenseman in OHL history. The 2 players ahead of him played in the 80s.

Who knows what will happen, but Parekh's ceiling is significantly higher than a Tyson Barrie.

Look at OHL defensemen from the last 15 years that had high scoring seasons. It’s not a super impressive list.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Look at OHL defensemen from the last 15 years that had high scoring seasons. It’s not a super impressive list.
Yeah, last 15 years the only notable players are Dougie Hamilton, Mikael Sergachev, Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Harley. Thing is though, Parekh outproduced all these players by at least 38 points.

But if you make the cutoff just a few years further, that list ends up including PK Subban and Drew Doughty (who he outproduced by 22 points)

Again, there are more than a few duds. Most notable are ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy who didn't amount to much but are just right below Parekh on the list and outproduced all the guys I mentioned in their 17 year old season

But my point still stands that his potential is massive, and his ceiling is certainly above someone like Krug.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Buium. Slightly better defensively, bit thicker, bit better skater, plays in a higher level league. Still, Parekh is a RHD. They are like blondes, and get preferential treatment.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Both had historic seasons in their respective leagues and drafted just a few spots apart. Who is the better player, or who do you think will end up as the better player?
I'll give you a hint...

Canadian hockey fans will vote for Parekh and American hockey fans will vote for Buium.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, last 15 years the only notable players are Dougie Hamilton, Mikael Sergachev, Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Harley. Thing is though, Parekh outproduced all these players by at least 38 points.

But if you make the cutoff just a few years further, that list ends up including PK Subban and Drew Doughty (who he outproduced by 22 points)

Again, there are more than a few duds. Most notable are ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy who didn't amount to much but are just right below Parekh on the list and outproduced all the guys I mentioned in their 17 year old season

But my point still stands that his potential is massive, and his ceiling is certainly above someone like Krug.
Ryan Ellis was not a dud. Late bloomer? Ye. But he was a #2/3 in his prime, it was just unfortunate it was cut short.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not being a homer because I had Buium ranked #5 and Parekh #11 before the draft started.

From what I've seen, I just hated all the offensive pinches Parekh made. He's has some amazing tools (skating, hunger to attack, stick skills) but he often makes risky plays that led to odd man rushes or would make dangerous passes in his own zone. And that style is not for me.

I've liked alot of what I've seen from Buium. He isn't a puck rusher like Parekh and he isn't going to challenge forechecking forwards on the offensive blueline 1v1 like Parekh but he makes the quick and most efficient play. He's agile, smart, very active, good puck skills etc. and does it all at a high tempo

I prefer the very very good but safe prospect over the possibly great but very risky prospect.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Parekh = Erik Karlsson

Buium = no NHL comparable.. but maybe Hutson (mixed with Andrei Markov).

But I clearly believe that Buium is a defenseman you can win with..

Parekh.. not that much.
Names for Buium that have been thrown out there is Fox, Morrissey, Forsling. I guess it'll depend on how well his offensive game progresses but its definitely a good start as a Hobey Baker nonimee at 18yrs

Devon Toews-ish.
Oh I like that one.

Reactions: majormajor

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I'll give you a hint...

Canadian hockey fans will vote for Parekh and American hockey fans will vote for Buium.
Why would either do such a thing if they thought the they player from the other country was better?

I’m Canadian and voted for the American. I’m sure I’m not nearly the only one.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Ryan Ellis was not a dud. Late bloomer? Ye. But he was a #2/3 in his prime, it was just unfortunate it was cut short.
Dud was way too harsh. But what I meant is that he didn't really pan out as the offensive player he was in juniors.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Buium. Slightly better defensively, bit thicker, bit better skater, plays in a higher level league. Still, Parekh is a RHD. They are like blondes, and get preferential treatment.

Slightly better defensively?

I can see Parekh improving his D but Buium improved it more, and starting from a much higher level.

His shutdown performance in the NCAA tourney was remarkable. Parekh meanwhile is still getting run over in the OHL. Try to imagine Parekh playing a shutdown role in the NCAA tourney? 5 goals against per game? 8?

Parekh = Erik Karlsson

Buium = no NHL comparable.. but maybe Hutson (mixed with Andrei Markov).

But I clearly believe that Buium is a defenseman you can win with..

Parekh.. not that much.

Buium is a lot bigger and stronger than Hutson, better defensively.

His decision making is his calling card so Fox and Forsling are natural comps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad