Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Huh? He has quite literally been an effective top four presence for a top team that has no major injuries “at the end of each day”.

It seems very hard to convince folks that players can actually take steps up in their careers after some point at which the general perception has pigeon-holed them into a particular role.
Yes, with his archetype as a player, I would say Age 29 is their prime. 29-31 being their best years and 29-33 all being good if they stay healthy. And he just turned 29 a month ago.

If you can get the term down, I think $6 million AAV is not bad. If it becomes a bidding war, you may be willing to eat the last couple years to get the player. 6'6 physical defensemen aren't just hanging around the AHL and the ones that are will probably need 6 years to get to Zadorov's current level.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
642 games have infinitely more relevance than 12 games. His 57 game playoff career also is 18 minutes.
No offense, but this is a really bad point. Like.... really bad. You sign players based on where they are, not where their "career averages" are. Especially for a player whose weaknesses are of the type that often (and in this case, do) improve with age.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I imagine Vancouver will re-sign him at that amount and then qualify/trade Hronek.
Doubtful Vancouver signs Z. Z will go to July one and the highest bidder. Vancouver has Hughes and Soucy as their top four left side D. Both are locked up to term.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
You're also talking a team in Calgary that had 4 #2 defensemen. I mean not playing ahead of Weegar, Hanifin, Tanev and Andersson doesn't mean you aren't a top 4 defenseman. Calgary had no #1 guy, but a whole bunch of good D.
Outside of Chicago he's been bottom pairing everywhere.

Heck Kylington was a top 4 guy too before his hiatus. He's playing #3 minutes in Vancouver right now
He played number six minutes in Vancouver during the regular season as well. A much larger sample size too.

and played top 4 minutes in Colorado. So your point is not really valid. It's like calling Draisaitl a #2 center because he plays #2 minutes in Edmonton.
The last time he played top four minutes in Colorado was the 17/18 season or six years ago. So in the past six years he's received top four minutes twice. The two times he did that for was for a Hawks team that finished 24th in the league in goals against and an Avs team that finished 15th. A sample size of 12 is useless when looking at the big picture of a player that's been in the league this long, so your point is not really valid.

No offense, but this is a really bad point. Like.... really bad. You sign players based on where they are, not where their "career averages" are. Especially for a player whose weaknesses are of the type that often (and in this case, do) improve with age.
He played 54 regular season games with Vancouver and finished sixth for TOI among defensemen.

54>12

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I imagine Vancouver will re-sign him at that amount and then qualify/trade Hronek.
Doesn't make sense. They kind of need to pay Hronek even if they audibly groan while doing so, they don't have any other right-handed shots signed outside of healthy scratch Noah Juulsen. Ian Cole is (poorly) playing his off-hand and Tyler Myers is a pending free agent and old. If they traded Hronek, that instantly becomes their biggest need.

He played 54 regular season games with Vancouver and finished sixth for TOI among defensemen.

54>12
Playoffs > Regular Season

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder what his comparable would be

I figured he was looking at Oleksiak, who signed for 4.6, but with cap percentage, assuming a 4 million cap increas, puts Zadorov at about 5.1

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wonder what his comparable would be

I figured he was looking at Oleksiak, who signed for 4.6, but with cap percentage, assuming a 4 million cap increas, puts Zadorov at about 5.1
That's right around where I see it too. 5X5ish.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
I think Tocchet loves Zadorov and he's become a fan favourite, as well as a well-liked guy in the room. He's been fantastic for my Canucks this post-season and I've absolutely loved having him. I have faith in Rutherford & Allvin to not sign him to an insane contract like this though. Treliving can go right ahead. Seravalli is doing my head in with these "VANCOUVER PLAYER WANTS [RIDICULOUS CONTRACT]" shenanigans.

Canucks have Hughes and Soucy on the left. They should probably move on from Cole. I think they'll keep Myers if he takes a hometown discount, he lives in Kelowna in the off-season and loves it in Vancouver. He's played really well this post-season too. Plays well with Soucy but I'd like him better on the 3rd pairing (with the right partner, Soucy really tames his chaos) and would prefer to find a younger partner for Soucy.

On the right they have Willander in the system but he'll need at least two more years in the NCAA/AHL unless he makes huge strides this upcoming season. Same with D-Elias Pettersson, who projects as a third-pairing guy on the left.

I think their focus will be on either signing Hronek or finding someone similar, then filling in the holes:

Hughes - Hronek / ?
Soucy - Myers / ?
? - Myers / ?

Montour, Tanev, Pesce, Skjei, Theodore (VGK would be crazy to trade him in-division and just in general IMO but I've seen chatter from their fanbase) are all guys I'd rather the Canucks throw money at than both/either Hronek and Zadorov.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think Tocchet loves Zadorov and he's become a fan favourite, as well as a well-liked guy in the room. He's been fantastic for my Canucks this post-season and I've absolutely loved having him. I have faith in Rutherford & Allvin to not sign him to an insane contract like this though. Treliving can go right ahead. Seravalli is doing my head in with these "VANCOUVER PLAYER WANTS [RIDICULOUS CONTRACT]" shenanigans.

Canucks have Hughes and Soucy on the left. They should probably move on from Cole. I think they'll keep Myers if he takes a hometown discount, he lives in Kelowna in the off-season and loves it in Vancouver. He's played really well this post-season too. Plays well with Soucy but I'd like him better on the 3rd pairing (with the right partner, Soucy really tames his chaos) and would prefer to find a younger partner for Soucy.

They have Willander in the system but he'll need at least two more years in the NCAA/AHL unless he makes huge strides this upcoming season. Same with D-Elias Pettersson, who projects as a third-pairing guy.

I think their focus will be on either signing Hronek or finding someone similar, then filling in the holes:

Hughes - Hronek / ?
Soucy - Myers / ?
? - Myers / ?

Montour, Tanev, Pesce, Skjei, Theodore (VGK would be crazy to trade him in-division and just in general IMO but I've seen chatter from their fanbase) are all guys I'd rather the Canucks throw money at than both/either Hronek and Zadorov.
Buyer beware of Pesce. There was a significant drop off over the past 2 seasons. Z would be a better add than Pesce. Tanev was great for us, but I'd be really hesitant to sign him to anything longer than 2 years. Skjei would be a great target. Very underrated.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Buyer beware of Pesce. There was a significant drop off over the past 2 seasons. Z would be a better add than Pesce. Tanev was great for us, but I'd be really hesitant to sign him to anything longer than 2 years. Skjei would be a great target. Very underrated.
Good to know about Pesce. I know the team and organization love Tanev but I'm also worried about a longer-term contract. I think the Stars will try to re-sign him if they can. Or Treliving will try get him again. Skjei is fantastic.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
All of your opinions on Zadorov are horribly wrong. It's like you don't understand playoff hockey at all. Watch last year when Pesce actually played and was roasted over and over in the playoffs. Then watch Zadorov dominate and tilt the ice this year.
I can make any player look like a superstar if I'm cherry picking 12 game samples.

It's fine to not understand things like this, but being both wrong and arrogant is a bad look.
Every accusation is a confession with you.

I know sample sizes can be quite confusing.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Nothing like believing in yourself. Good for him.

Good luck though. He was traded from Calgary because they knew he'd be asking for the moon.
Nothing like believing in yourself. Good for him.

Good luck though. He was traded from Calgary because they knew he'd be asking for the moon.
Yes, very shrewd move by Conroy locking in a 3rd and a 5th round pick :sarcasm:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I can make any player look like a superstar if I'm cherry picking 12 game samples.

Every accusation is a confession with you.

I know sample sizes can be quite confusing.
Do superstar defensive defensemen play 3rd line competition and get high offensive zone starts. Pesce does. Zadorov plays between 1st and 2nd line competition and starts in his own end. Still outproduces and gives up less chances than Pesce. Heck, his competition level was lower than Burns. That's pretty brutal.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Do superstar defensive defensemen play 3rd line competition and get high offensive zone starts. Pesce does. Zadorov plays between 1st and 2nd line competition and starts in his own end. Still outproduces and gives up less chances than Pesce.
You have your players mixed up. Both in the fancy and counting stats.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I love Zads as much as anyone, but I wouldn't want that AAV+term.

A short term high AAV deal similar to the Orlov deal would make sense for a team with projected cap space for the next couple years like Carolina had.

Any deal with 4+ years in term needs to be in that $4.5 area IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad