Zadina is getting ready

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He's not a good skater either. He's very mediocre in every aspect of his game, like a younger version of Gagner with better defense and no 8 pt game.

When you're shooting at a lower percentage than Helm's career average then you're gonna struggle. 6.2% last season.
My impression of Zadina this past season was nothing like what the scouting reports published a few years ago.

Reactions: Gniwder

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He's not a plus skater.
So when you're only 6'0 and an average skater, you need superb ability to make room for yourself.
he made room for himself just fine season before he was also easily our best forward those few games before he got covid. I think 60 points per year is his floor.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
he made room for himself just fine season before he was also easily our best forward those few games before he got covid. I think 60 points per year is his floor.
60 points per year is his floor? I know I’m not the highest on Zadina but I don’t see that at all. But admittedly I’m not a major fan of Zadina and didn’t like the pick when we drafted him. Just out of curiosity how do you think his stat line looks? More of a goal scorer or playmaker?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He was also a low round pick, why are we talking about him?

Why are we talking about him at Zadina thread? Not comparable players at all.

Zadina is like Kucherov from his, position, handness, mind, size, and style. Let's compare them.
You sure you want to do that? Lol.

Reactions: Gniwder

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My impression of Zadina this past season was nothing like what the scouting reports published a few years ago.

He was never a plus athlete though, that was always your concern with Zadina.

I actually think he has made some gains, he played faster at times without results. Now I am not going to step out on that ledge like the Winged Wheel Podcast guys and try to claim him as one of our better forwards. Frankly down the stretch he was outplayed by Rasmussen who also didn't have great counting stats either. Others have pointed to covid, certainly that could have impacted him. I just thought he could have played better more often than not. I see the talent with Zadina though, he just has to figure out ways to think himself open more often and be more dangerous. I like that he has rounded out his defense and I like that he competes like hell on the wall now when you watch him trying to retrieve and turnover pucks.

Zadina was brought to score and drive offense and that is what he must do. It is a tough spot, I think he has the ability. I think he is a player that runs pretty clearly on confidence, the joking smiling Zadina seems a faded memory and that was certainly a big part of what were in his scouting reports. He just might not be a line driver and some of that is down to just athletic ability. But he isn't a finished product and he certainly flashes high end ability. You can see why talent evaluators like him and by almost all accounts the dude puts in work on his own time. So I guess we will see, I think guys like Zadina stand to benefit a lot from D-man that can outlet the puck correctly, actually get stops in their own end and an influx of more young talent that is starting to filter in. But we have to find a way to get back cocky smiling Zadina, most of that scouting report is still in there, I am hoping with a little more talent around we start to see him get better. He is a top 6 forward not all is lost, we just need to see if he can take the next step, this is about the time to start finding it reasonable to ask for a lot more out of him.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
There were many games last season where Zadina may have been our best player. It's not like he had a ton of competition, but I feel like many people forget how good he was at times. If anything I think he was a bit inconsistent which is not a big concern for a young player trying to figure out the NHL.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In his 4 games before COVID:
Zadina 2A +1
Bertuzzi 1G 2A +0
Larkin 2G 2A -1
Lazy Man(tha) 1G 2A -3

Bobby freak'in Ryan 4G +2 17PIM in 3 games (he missed the first one)

Not sure which team you were watching, but I remember Ryan being the reason why the team won.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In his 4 games before COVID:
Zadina 2A +1
Bertuzzi 1G 2A +0
Larkin 2G 2A -1
Lazy Man(tha) 1G 2A -3

Bobby freak'in Ryan 4G +2 17PIM in 3 games (he missed the first one)

Not sure which team you were watching, but I remember Ryan being the reason why the team won.

Yes, on the back of Ryan’s ridiculous amount of puck luck, the Wings had a negligible amount of success. We’ve heard you parrot about this before.

Zaronji

Mar 18, 2007
Michigan
I think too much is being expected of Zadina so far. He's still only 21; lots of players aren't even in the league yet at that age. Mantha's first real season was when he was 21, and look how he has turned out. Bertuzzi's was 22. Not everyone can walk in at the age of 19 and show good things like Larkin.

edit: Datsyuk was 23, and I've never seen anyone expect Zadina to be nearly that good.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think too much is being expected of Zadina so far. He's still only 21; lots of players aren't even in the league yet at that age. Mantha's first real season was when he was 21, and look how he has turned out. Bertuzzi's was 22. Not everyone can walk in at the age of 19 and show good things like Larkin.

edit: Datsyuk was 23, and I've never seen anyone expect Zadina to be nearly that good.
Larkin 1st season: 45 points in 80 games
Zadina 1st season: 43 point pace over 80 games
Larkin 2nd season: 32 points in 80 games
Zadina 2nd season: 31 point pace over 80 games

It's actually eerily similar.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I would agree with this generally. The points haven't come yet but there's been lots of encouraging development in other ways. Having said that, Larkin's 3rd year was 63 in 82 then his 4th was 73 in 76. So the make or break time is rapidly approaching for Zadina. He's going to need to justify his perceived potential with some actual production, either this season or at the latest next season.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He was never a plus athlete though, that was always your concern with Zadina.

I actually think he has made some gains, he played faster at times without results. Now I am not going to step out on that ledge like the Winged Wheel Podcast guys and try to claim him as one of our better forwards. Frankly down the stretch he was outplayed by Rasmussen who also didn't have great counting stats either. Others have pointed to covid, certainly that could have impacted him. I just thought he could have played better more often than not. I see the talent with Zadina though, he just has to figure out ways to think himself open more often and be more dangerous. I like that he has rounded out his defense and I like that he competes like hell on the wall now when you watch him trying to retrieve and turnover pucks.

Zadina was brought to score and drive offense and that is what he must do. It is a tough spot, I think he has the ability. I think he is a player that runs pretty clearly on confidence, the joking smiling Zadina seems a faded memory and that was certainly a big part of what were in his scouting reports. He just might not be a line driver and some of that is down to just athletic ability. But he isn't a finished product and he certainly flashes high end ability. You can see why talent evaluators like him and by almost all accounts the dude puts in work on his own time. So I guess we will see, I think guys like Zadina stand to benefit a lot from D-man that can outlet the puck correctly, actually get stops in their own end and an influx of more young talent that is starting to filter in. But we have to find a way to get back cocky smiling Zadina, most of that scouting report is still in there, I am hoping with a little more talent around we start to see him get better. He is a top 6 forward not all is lost, we just need to see if he can take the next step, this is about the time to start finding it reasonable to ask for a lot more out of him.
My point being is that I'm thinking his skillset met it's ceiling and he'll likely be a 2nd line winger at best...So be it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, on the back of Ryan’s ridiculous amount of puck luck, the Wings had a negligible amount of success. We’ve heard you parrot about this before.
Are you saying he wasn't the best player in the first 4 games?

Kinda funny that you bring it up considering I said the only reason why the team was winning was because of his hot streak. Everyone lambasted me and said the rest of the team would score, lol. They never did.

The reason why Larkin's numbers went down is because he shifted to center due to Datsyuk's retirement. I don't remember who his linemates were, but obviously not Zetterberg level.

What's Zadina's excuse, Ericsson retiring?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The reason why Larkin's numbers went down is because he shifted to center due to Datsyuk's retirement. I don't remember who his linemates were, but obviously not Zetterberg level.

What's Zadina's excuse, Ericsson retiring?
Just made a note of their stats being similar. As for excuses I think having Covid and the entire surrounding team having a down year offensively are as valid as anything else.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just made a note of their stats being similar. As for excuses I think having Covid and the entire surrounding team having a down year offensively are as valid as anything else.
Here's the other thing, Larkin's goals actually went down in his third year, those points are off of assists to Mantha.

I suppose he could rack up a ton of assists if he's on Vrana's line but I'm kinda doubting it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here's the other thing, Larkin's goals actually went down in his third year, those points are off of assists to Mantha.

I suppose he could rack up a ton of assists if he's on Vrana's line but I'm kinda doubting it.

I think last year was obviously a very tough year. But for those running the two year narrative, the actual tape on Larkin from two seasons ago had him flashing a lot of nice passing that wasn't being finished by his teammates. So a guy like Vrana might help Larks a bit, we will see. I do think getting more talented wingers that can hopefully learn to use Larkin's industrious game is how we find his best running mate. With Zadina, Vrana, Bert, Raymond, Berggren you are hoping there are combinations that bring back Larkin's numbers and get us with a legitimate top 6 line again like we were seeing a few years ago. I still believe in Larkin as a player, I hope we see a lot better year out of him, we need him to be a prominent player here right now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Are you saying he wasn't the best player in the first 4 games?

Kinda funny that you bring it up considering I said the only reason why the team was winning was because of his hot streak. Everyone lambasted me and said the rest of the team would score, lol. They never did.

Bobby Ryan’s three game hot streak? Where the Wings went 2-1? In the first win, he scored 1 goal in a 4-2 win. In the second win, he scored 1 goal in a 3-2 OT win.

Your recollection of history is pretty flawed. Bobby Ryan had a good week, but he wasn’t the sole reason the team won games. And he wasn’t the best player the team had early in the season. He was the best player for a 3 game stretch.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bobby Ryan’s three game hot streak? Where the Wings went 2-1? In the first win, he scored 1 goal in a 4-2 win. In the second win, he scored 1 goal in a 3-2 OT win.

Your recollection of history is pretty flawed. Bobby Ryan had a good week, but he wasn’t the sole reason the team won games. And he wasn’t the best player the team had early in the season. He was the best player for a 3 game stretch.
Zadina played 4 games before he got COVID, the claim was that he was the best player on the team in those 4 games....

and you just said Ryan was the best player for 3 of those 4 games, lol.

Reading comprehension.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

This is nonsense.
Larkin shifted from wing to center.

And Larkin's struggles started his rookie year.
Through 52 games he went 18-29-38 +26
Over the next 28: 5-2-7 -15

Sophomore year:
First 60: 12-7-19
Final 20: 5-18-13

So that late freshman/sophomore slump was; 88 games; 17-9-26.

All Zadina has done is get more icetime and more opportunity to score on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad