Prospect Info: Zack Ostapchuk

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Interesting article on Zack Ostapchuk, looks like he is going to be a good gritty player, hopefully turns out like Killorn.

If Ostapchuk turns into a "Tkachuk-lite" type player as the articles alludes to; that is an absolute home run for that draft pick.

I do think it's a somewhat fair comparison, in terms of the leadership Osta has shown with the Giants and again with Team Canada. He is pretty much identical in size. Likes to go to the front of the net, shows good instincts/hockey IQ, not afraid to mix it up, has decent wheels and can shoot the puck. There is a lot to like with this player. Give him a year in Belleville and I would imagine he is going to be in the lineup next year. Probably start off in a 4th line role and work his way up. I know he plays Centre but with us having a bit of a log jam down the middle with Stutz, Norris, Pinto, Greig & Kastelic, that could put him on the wing, just like Brady.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
A cross between Nick Paul and Alex Tuch with a little bit of Zack Smith sprinkled in and you have Zack Ostapchuk's ceiling.

The kid won't be denied. Future NHLer with a long career ahead of him, glue guy, he'll be our most dependable third line staple since JG, fan favourite.

All that said, I don't see it next year. He will emerge slowly.

Reactions: Icelevel

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
A cross between Nick Paul and Alex Tuch with a little bit of Zack Smith sprinkled in and you have Zack Ostapchuk's ceiling.

The kid won't be denied. Future NHLer with a long career ahead of him, glue guy, he'll be our most dependable third line staple since JG, fan favourite.

All that said, I don't see it next year. He will emerge slowly.
Bold claim, not convinced until we get the measuring tape out.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Just checked the prospects thread and noticed Ostapchuk has .39 ppg. Only two of Belleville players are close to PPG: Crookshank and Jarventie.

Boucher has 5 points in 21 games.

Reactions: DrEasy

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Probably the prospect with the best shot to make an impact with the Sens currently. Excited to see how he looks!

Has good size and speed. Rangy player who should be able to play up and down the lineup in all situations.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Probably the prospect with the best shot to make an impact with the Sens currently. Excited to see how he looks!

Has good size and speed. Rangy player who should be able to play up and down the lineup in all situations.
He plays the right way . He plays a 2 way game . Gets up and down the ice. PKs. Not overly physical but definitely doesn't shy away. Good awareness. Thinks the game well. I like the way he plays .. I think he is more bottom 6 than top 6 at the NHL level. Another year in Belleville could bring more offense out of him.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Seems a little early for that, even if Norris is kaput.
May have no choice. Greig probably has to slot into the top 6 with Norris out and Tarasenko gone. Unless the team believes Joseph-Pinto-Batherson is a competent second line to be playoff bound (I don't).

Huge holes on the team so we'll see how next year shapes up.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
May have no choice. Greig probably has to slot into the top 6 with Norris out and Tarasenko gone. Unless the team believes Joseph-Pinto-Batherson is a competent second line to be playoff bound (I don't).

If we go into next season $6-$8m under the cap ($14-$16m under when counting LTIR), then I will concede that Ostapchuk may be our 3C

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The funny part is Tank spent much of the season on the third line, and Pinto missed half the season.

There are always some middle six UFA looking for an opportunity to play in the top 6, if Norris is out, they'll find a way to fill the spot

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
My wife wishes i was Nik Paul lite.

Dreiger recently hinted that she's been floating my name for future cocksiderations.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bicboi64

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Just checked the prospects thread and noticed Ostapchuk has .39 ppg. Only two of Belleville players are close to PPG: Crookshank and Jarventie.

Boucher has 5 points in 21 games.
We don't have a single prospect in any league that is playing at a PPG pace. Absolutely pathetic for a rebuilding team when teams like Toronto have several of them.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
We don't have a single prospect in any league that is playing at a PPG pace. Absolutely pathetic for a rebuilding team when teams like Toronto have several of them.
To be fair, Toronto has drafted high scoring jr players for a long time with little success. But the point stands for sure.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, I don’t follow Belleville or the AHL that much, but I do take a look at the threads in here about Belleville and its players. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I looked at the player scoring stats, but I suppose I wasn’t shocked to learn there wasn’t any PPG players. It’s disappointing and I was curious specifically about what Ostapchuk was doing as he’s getting called up. It will be nice for him to get some games in the big league and for us to see him in action.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I have a feeling he slots in like Greig and Pinto. Just optomistic I guess.

Ad

Ad

Ad