Player Discussion Zack MacEwen signed for 3 years @ $775,000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How did the Canadiens go decades without hitting on a first round pick? You understand a decade is ten years right?

Which stretch of ten years day you think the Canadiens went without a single 1st rounder hitting?

In the 2020's, you've got Slafksovky and Guhle (so far), in the 20teens, you have Cole Caufield and Mikhail Sergachev, in the 2000's you have Carey Price and Max Paccioretty. The 90's are definitely bleak, but Saku Koivu was a big win.

Where are finding this 20 year stretch where the Canadiens don't hit on a 1st rounder?

I mean, to be fair:
2006 - David Fischer...who?
2008- nothing
2009- Louis LeBlanc...who?
2010-jarred tinordi
2011-nathan Beaulieu
2012- Alex Galchenyuk
2013-michael McCarron ..who?
2014-nikiya scherbak..who?
2015-noah juulsen...who?

That's 8 pretty bad years, but then there are also other pretty bad streaks in between a couple OK picks.

I keep scrolling and they're honestly hilariously bad.

1988- Eric Charron...who?
1989- Lindsay Vallis...who?
1991- Brent Bilodeau...who?
1992- David Wilkie...who?
1994- Brad brown...who?
1995- Terry Ryan...who?
1996 - matt Higgins...who?
1997 - Jason ward...lol
1998- Eric Chouinard...lol
1999 - none

Quite the stretch there too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why do we keep signing useless goons lol
Yeah! Some of us want useful goons (tough physical players); those that can also play hockey!

I mean, to be fair:
2006 - David Fischer...who?
2008- nothing
2009- Louis LeBlanc...who?
2010-jarred tinordi
2011-nathan Beaulieu
2012- Alex Galchenyuk
2013-michael McCarron ..who?
2014-nikiya scherbak..who?
2015-noah juulsen...who?

That's 8 pretty bad years, but then there are also other pretty bad streaks in between a couple OK picks.

I keep scrolling and they're honestly hilariously bad.

1988- Eric Charron...who?
1989- Lindsay Vallis...who?
1991- Brent Bilodeau...who?
1992- David Wilkie...who?
1994- Brad brown...who?
1995- Terry Ryan...who?
1996 - matt Higgins...who?
1997 - Jason ward...lol
1998- Eric Chouinard...lol
1999 - none

Quite the stretch there too.
Was Dorion there at those times?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah! Some of us want useful goons (tough physical players); those that can also play hockey!

Was Dorion there at those times?
Wikipedia says he was a scout with them from 1994-2005.

His best 1st round picks in that time would be:

Ron hainsey
Mike komisarek
Andrei kostitsyn
Kyle chipchura

No stars or anything in a decade.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ostapchuk. Except he costs less than $1 million. He tuned up Rempe pretty good in the WHL.
Ostapchuk might be one guy that can do what is required when required; I hope he does Bec one a tough, physical player who can both score some goals and be a physical threat to the other team. Our team is too soft.

Ron hainsey
Mike komisarek
Andrei kostitsyn
Kyle chipchura

Thanks for info. Kinda figures. :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ron hainsey
Mike komisarek
Andrei kostitsyn
Kyle chipchura

He was just an amateur scout, so not entirely responsible for every pick. Idk what picks he would have had input on, my guess would be eastern Canada, so q and OHL guys would be my guess.

Lapierre, Carkner, Ribero, Beauchemin, Ryder, Garon, Robidas, those are guys I could see him having had input on

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Montreal had really bad drafting from 2008 to 2017 (10 drafts), with pretty much only that to show for :

Galchenyuk 3rd OA pick, Sergachev 9th OA pick, Lehkonen 2nd round, Gallagher 5th round, Jake Evans 7th round

Started to be better in 2018 with Harris, Romanov, Ylonen and Kotkaniemi (even if disappointing vs draft position). In 2019 : Caufield, Struble, RHP

That's when he did his most damaging work. The Debrincat, Chychrun and Talbot trades come to mind. Sacrificing the entire future for players on expiring deals. Well before this team was ready to compete. You make those tradess to push your team over the top. When they are close, not when you're a lottery team. On top of that 2 of them were redundant players with the current roster.

There is no point he was ever good at his job. There was never a stretch of lots of good moves in a row.

All time bad GM. I called it a long time ago. Brutal for a fanbase that deserved better.

Macewen should simply just get cut. Not complicated. The way I see it he has 2 games to play a wildly physical game and he has to win atleast 1 fight.

I'd like to see Ostapchuk drop em here.

It made absolutely no sense to "rush" as there was not a Damocles sword over his head at that moment. Maybe he got too relax and over-confident?

He was already lucky that we had a future despite the Zibanejad and Duchene fiascos, plus Stone and Hoffman not bringing back anything of note (plus the Tyler Boucher pick)... We were already at a point where we couldn't afford to sacrifice these high 1st round picks and these 2nds

Miraculously, we still have a chance to do something, which shows that we could have been an absolute WAGON had we had competent management all those years.

Dorion single handily ruined my fan experience for years. Hopefully Staios and co can right the ship.

We need MacEwan to beat the brakes of Xhekaj the next time we face Montreal.

Let's be brutally honest, the only guy in the whole organization who could take on Xhekaj is Brady Tkachuk.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You're right, its a a fabrication that the Habs haven't had a hit in the first round in 20 years. I'll be more accurate and just say they've been utterly shite (probably bottom of the league) at drafting in the first round over the last 20 years until current management took over.

On this we agree.

Reactions: bicboi64

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He was just an amateur scout, so not entirely responsible for every pick. Idk what picks he would have had input on, my guess would be eastern Canada, so q and OHL guys would be my guess.

Lapierre, Carkner, Ribero, Beauchemin, Ryder, Garon, Robidas, those are guys I could see him having had input on

None of those guys were first round picks though. I was just looking at those.

But good point.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
if ostapchuk doesnt have a regular spot i dont think he is making the team, both due to contract status and because if he isnt getting regular minutes there is very little benefit for him

i think jenik ends up with the 4C spot on a very short leash and i think ostapchuk or crookshank end up being the first call up depending on if we need a center or winger replaced.
I like O, but I am with you here.

Jenik is a rougher player in general than O, and has shown up in his exhibition games so far. More importantly, I want O to keep progressing against men in the A and get load of ice time while scoring consistently.

We don't him to just hang on at the NHL level, I want him brimming with confidence and pushing the play against other 4th liners. That is the level we need to aspire to, IMO.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad